Pecking order for pandemic lifestyle safety

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
.... snipped ..... I am aware that the Coronavirus is not the flu. However, it is also not as deadly as once feared.
Gulfcoast: Over 3800 people have died in Florida from the coronavirus. Perhaps you should check with the families of people who have died, before you make the remark that "the coronavirus is not as deadly as once feared."

Last edited by Barefoot; 07-16-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I would add a 2.5. You don't wear a mask for outdoor activities such as golf, pickleball, and walking. There are a couple of stores you will go into, but you always wear a mask, wipe the cart if they haven't, and use hand sanitizer on the way out--because you prefer to do your own grocery shopping. You have a couple of "safe" neighbors you will socialize with, keeping distance. Only a couple. You don't take a dog into grocery or home supply stores... oh wait, that's a different thread.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
... snipped .... more mask wearing should equal less infections.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:14 AM

Love the pecking order. LOL. I am a Modified Masker. Stay safe. Keep the faith.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I would add a 2.5. You don't wear a mask for outdoor activities such as golf, pickleball, and walking. There are a couple of stores you will go into, but you always wear a mask, wipe the cart if they haven't, and use hand sanitizer on the way out--because you prefer to do your own grocery shopping. You have a couple of "safe" neighbors you will socialize with, keeping distance. Only a couple. You don't take a dog into grocery or home supply stores... oh wait, that's a different thread.
Only full and modified Howard Hughesies can not use masks at all and claim they are near 100% safe from catching or spreading the virus. I was a full Howard Hughes for about six weeks, no golf no nothing except curbside pickup or delivery of groceries.

When I read scientific papers saying 99% of infections happened indoors, and that sunlight deactivated the virus in minutes, I figured I could play golf again and a few other outdoor activities. But I still think going into supermarkets etc with or without a mask is slightly risky if you are 65+ or have certain health problems. Especially now with this surge in new cases. The surge may be mostly younger people but they can still infect you. The cloth masks may help protect others, but they don't protect you all that well. If they put "he wore a mask and protected others" on my tombstone it wouldn't be much consolation for me.

I am pretty convinced now that herd immunity is the only thing that will stop this virus. That doesn't mean you or I have to be part of that herd. As you can see if you read thread linked below, some very smart scientists have analyzed data from all over the world and think the herd immunity threshold may be as low as 20-30%. I can continue my modified Howard Hughes lifestyle for months more if I need to and still enjoy myself and not go insane.

We may reach herd immunity sooner than you think
Old 07-05-2020, 09:36 AM

Hey I'm a 10! Uh, oh, never mind I thought we were talking about something else.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,048 Times in 2,738 Posts

We are three and a half. No mask outdoors unless we can not socially distance. Always mask up indoors and only go indoors in public places when absolutely necessary. No going out to eat. Very selective take-out dinners.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

I was wondering why I hadn’t seen you lately. (Laughing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
I see lots of comments where people criticize others for not following guidelines, wearing masks etc. So I came up with a pecking order for various lifestyle choices people are making during the pandemic. The higher up you are in the pecking order, the less chance there is for you to catch or spread the virus.

1. Full Howard Hughes: You do not leave your home for any reason. You get all groceries, meals etc via delivery. You avoid other people completely. If you are married, divorce may be imminent.

2. Modified Howard Hughes: You engage in some safe outdoor activities like golf, walking etc but do not enter any buildings other than your own home. You get groceries etc by delivery or curbside pickup. No going out to eat. When outside, you stay at least 20 feet from others.

3. Full Masker: You wear a mask anytime you leave your home, even when engaging in outdoor activities. You go to supermarkets because you like to, and will go to stores if employees are masked. You do not go out to eat because it would require you to take off your mask.

4. Modified Masker: You don't wear a mask for outdoor activities, but you wear one when shopping or at supermarket. You do go out to eat as long as servers are wearing masks.

5. Anti Masker: You don't wear a mask anywhere because it's your God given right not to and you don't think they work all that well. You tell people to buzz off if they criticize you.

I chose the Modified Howard Hughes method, it's the best way I can stay sane while protecting myself AND others. I have no problem with you no matter what approach you use since I don't interact with you anyway.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
I see lots of comments where people criticize others for not following guidelines, wearing masks etc. So I came up with a pecking order for various lifestyle choices people are making during the pandemic. The higher up you are in the pecking order, the less chance there is for you to catch or spread the virus.

1. Full Howard Hughes: You do not leave your home for any reason. You get all groceries, meals etc via delivery. You avoid other people completely. If you are married, divorce may be imminent.

2. Modified Howard Hughes: You engage in some safe outdoor activities like golf, walking etc but do not enter any buildings other than your own home. You get groceries etc by delivery or curbside pickup. No going out to eat. When outside, you stay at least 20 feet from others.

3. Full Masker: You wear a mask anytime you leave your home, even when engaging in outdoor activities. You go to supermarkets because you like to, and will go to stores if employees are masked. You do not go out to eat because it would require you to take off your mask.

4. Modified Masker: You don't wear a mask for outdoor activities, but you wear one when shopping or at supermarket. You do go out to eat as long as servers are wearing masks.

5. Anti Masker: You don't wear a mask anywhere because it's your God given right not to and you don't think they work all that well. You tell people to buzz off if they criticize you.

I chose the Modified Howard Hughes method, it's the best way I can stay sane while protecting myself AND others. I have no problem with you no matter what approach you use since I don't interact with you anyway.
Yes, that system will allow you to have a LONG "good life". Happy trails to that!
Old 07-05-2020, 11:59 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Gulfcoast: Over 3800 people have died in Florida from the coronavirus. Perhaps you should check with the families of people who have died, before you make the remark that "coronavirus is not as deadly as once feared."
The IFR, or death rate for covid 19 has actually gone down quite a bit. It's still higher than the flu for over 65s and people with certain pre existing conditions, but for under 50s with no pre existing conditions, it is actually less deadly than the flu.

COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios | CDC

This graph is just for Massachusetts, but same numbers are seen nationally.

exrsquzwaaejky7-jpg

Here is a national one

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20by%20age-jpg
Old 07-05-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
I'm a 4 1/2. I don't wear a mask unless a store or business (like my dental or doctor's office) requests that one be worn. I go out to eat at restaurants, I follow social distancing rules like directional arrows in the store aisles and distancing marks in store checkout lines. I am fine going to the beach and I don't freak out if someone breaches my 3 feet of personal space on occasion. I also wear a mask if I am driving my elderly mother around.

I have attended concerts, sporting events, weddings, funerals, church services, amusement parks, fairs, cruises and all sorts of other crowded events during previous flu seasons and I would do the same thing now if I could (yes, I am aware that the Coronavirus is not the flu. However, it is also not as deadly as once feared). If things were to reopen fully I would go back to doing everything that I enjoy doing, no worries or apologies.
I’m with you!
Old 07-05-2020, 01:21 PM

Covid 19 is not as deadly as first thought 150,000 DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What figure will change your mind
Old 07-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Covid 19 is not as deadly as first thought 150,000 DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What figure will change your mind
Lots of people die every year

50% of covid deaths are from nursing homes. These people are going to die fairly soon anyway. Studies show Fifty‐three percent die within 6 months and 80% with one year of placement in nursing home and these stats were not generated during a pandemic.

Old People Die Alarmingly Quickly in Nursing Homes, Study Finds | The Snitch.

Million are infected by the flu every year. in the most recent 2018-19 flu season 61,000 died. The coronavirus kills more people than the flu if you are over 65 or have pre existing conditions. If you are less than 50 with no conditions the coronavirus kills less than the flu. In general it is worse than the flu but not the end of the world.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

I'm a #4 - Always wear a mask when indoors and social distancing is not guaranteed. The exception is indoor dining but will only dine in when servers are masked.

I do not wear a mask for outdoor activities except when entering the sports pools. TPTB insist a mask be worn when "checking in" even though a person can easily stand 15 feet or more away from the person doing the checking in. Silly but rules are rules.

Other than that, I haven't been in any large groups outside so will never wear a mask outside. as I do not plan to partake in any activities with large groups.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Default Why wear a mask?

The government tells us to social distance and wear a mask. The government loaned American Airlines five BILLION dollars
American Airlines is NOT social distancing since they are selling all seats on all flights. So why do I believe any covid facts from government? I do not!
Why lend five BILLION dollars plus to a company that tells you either your facts pertaining to mitigation are false, or the company's profits are far more important than lives! Which is it?
Closed Thread

Tags
wear, people, mask, eat, howard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.