Pre-existing Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Sage

No one is turned away. You can walk into any public hospital in America and receive care. There is also Medicaid. If you want to argue that the quality of medicine varies then I will agree with you. There are few, if any, things in life that are completely fair. The more money you have the better the life you will lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Gracie, you know that I'm a big fan of yours, but, on this issue, Healthcare for some, thru no fault of their own, is beyond their means and should be free. As the poster mentioned, this virus, is and has many pre-existing conditions, on top of that, Americans have been financially crippled. Having the ACA being ripped away from these families at this time, is unconscionable. No one should be turned away, no one!

Last edited by biker1; 10-12-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:52 PM
Sage

Well, yes, it is because it may be unconstitutional. That is why we have courts. The party in power at the time should have done their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
Except that the ACA is on the Scotus chopping block for the week following the election. The case has been brought on by the current party in power. Don’t be fooled.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:07 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Gracie, you know that I'm a big fan of yours, but, on this issue, Healthcare for some, thru no fault of their own, is beyond their means and should be free. As the poster mentioned, this virus, is and has many pre-existing conditions, on top of that, Americans have been financially crippled. Having the ACA being ripped away from these families at this time, is unconscionable. No one should be turned away, no one!
Just like doctors were ripped away from their patients under ACA “You can keep your doctor if you like your plan.”
Old 10-12-2020, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Wait! I thought there was a possibility that we could be getting government healthcare where everything will be covered - no?

Well, if some would of read it before the passed it they might of been able to fix health care, but didn’t happen.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaRon View Post
“ If insurance companies are awarded the unconscionable power to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions,”

Yes, how could the unconscionable Insurance CO’s not allow you to buy insurance after you are sick. We could do that for cars also — let’s wait to buy insurance after we have an accident!

The ONLY way to allow pre-existing is to also require mandatory universal coverage — you can’t have it both ways. Think about it!
The only way IMO to have affordable health care is to have single pay system and outlaw insurance health care. Insurance has monopoly to make billions Due to their ability to lobby elected officials to get laws in there favor and not interest of health care. The only way to have affordable health care IMO is single payer system and control costs.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Just like doctors were ripped away from their patients under ACA “You can keep your doctor if you like your plan.”
ACA should fixed that problem by health care accepting ALL insurance. Anybody that lost doctor cause they don’t accept particular health care insurance plan.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:29 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

OMG, people. Get a grip and LISTEN to the facts. On 11/10, SCOTUS is going to hear arguments about the Constitutionality of ACA. THERE WILL BE NO DECISION ON THAT DATE! These are presentations before the Court only. The decision may not come down until next June.

And what every panicked poster on this thread forgets is that it is Congress that makes the law. So, if SCOTUS says ACA is Unconstitutional sometime next year, the fix is simple. Congress can fix the defect. Any comment to the contrary is nothing more than political hyperbole and fear mongering.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
This is always a good one. How did people who had a private physician before the ACA afford it? Because they were already on a private health plan. A lot of the ACA plans were less expensive and covered more, so people switched, then complained they couldn't keep their doctor. I've had private health insurance since forever. Guess what, when I switch insurance (because my company switches plans, for example), I have to switch physicians.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

What is a pre existing condition? Birth Defects, early childhood diseases such as pneumonia, alcoholism, drug addiction, sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy,
attempted suicides, self mutilation. Now Covid-19. This argument ultimately leads to everything in certain minds.

Covid 19 is something that a person could have obtained through irresponsible activities.

If I attempt to rob a store and get shot and paralyzed, does that become a pre existing condition?

A very slippery slope to deal with.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Bottom line with wealthy conservatives, eliminating ACA, will be a tremendous tax cut to add to their bank account, to hell with those that can not afford Healthcare, especially if they have a pre-existing condition, period.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
OMG, people. Get a grip and LISTEN to the facts. On 11/10, SCOTUS is going to hear arguments about the Constitutionality of ACA. THERE WILL BE NO DECISION ON THAT DATE! These are presentations before the Court only. The decision may not come down until next June.

And what every panicked poster on this thread forgets is that it is Congress that makes the law. So, if SCOTUS says ACA is Unconstitutional sometime next year, the fix is simple. Congress can fix the defect. Any comment to the contrary is nothing more than political hyperbole and fear mongering.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Pre-existing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
May I clarify — what is happening now is the case that is about to be heard has the goal of completely dismantling the protection that says insurance companies cannot deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions.

This is not about people wanting a free ride.

This is about people who want to be able to buy “a ticket to ride.” ‘Buy’ is the operative word.

We are a nation of amnesiacs. There was a time when people who were trying to buy insurance on the open market — before the pre-existing conditions protection — either could not find coverage — or if they did find it, but needed to use it, they faced loophole after loophole.

We are very close to going back to that but people are not paying attention. The case is circling to land.

There are a lot of hardworking people who stand to lose healthcare coverage — when all they want is to be able to buy decent, affordable health insurance.

At this point, Me, Me, Me and mine have what we need. But I dare to care about those who do not. It is not fair to penalize people for pre-existing conditions by making healthcare practically unavailable to them. In fact, to do that is just plain cruel.

Cassandra Boomer
Years ago, when changing from one insurance company to another, an "existing condition" was covered by the first insurance company for some period of time. Thus, when my wife was pregnant and I changed jobs, the "old" company covered costs through delivery. After that she and the baby the "new" company. I'm in favor of THAT kind of a system.

On the other hand, if a person or family is or was unable to obtain sufficient medical insurance, I'd expect (and support) a basic and necessary level of coverage to be provided by society. That means government. Taxpayer funded. I would NOT expect such basic coverage to include elective surgery or care.

Lastly, if a person/family was able to purchase health care and CHOSE not to do so, why should a health plan, private or government, be FORCED to "insure" them? If it's just "the right thing to do," how about mandating automobile insurance after a crash, or fire insurance after a fire, to compensate for damage already done? What's the difference?
Old 10-14-2020, 06:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Unaffordable care act. My great, private family insurance went from around $500. per month to over $1,500. per month for crappy insurance. Thanks government for taking care of those big, bad insurance companies.
Closed Thread

Tags
pre-existing, coverage, insurance, companies, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.