Rude Awakening

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2022, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts
Default Rude Awakening

We are all about to have a rude awakening. Some of us are old enough to remember the past. The younger generation has been so spoiled by the goodness of living in the USA, that they have no idea what is coming.
They are about to see why our parents/grandparents drove cars until the wheels fell off. And why it was typical to have one car per family. And why young newlyweds weren't automatically entitled to a fully furnished house. Or lavish weddings (Do y'all remember when a wedding reception typically occurred in the fellowship hall of the church? And the only food was wedding cake, mints, mixed nuts and punch?) A honeymoon might include a night at a hotel, or if they were really lucky they might get a weekend in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
There weren't restaurants on every corner, because people only RARELY ate out. They cooked every meal at home. Or packed a lunch for the road. And they never wasted leftovers. Picky eaters? You either ate what your Mama cooked or you did without. AND NO ONE CARED. We are about to rediscover potato patties, soup, hash, biscuit pudding, rice pudding, cornbread in milk, and bread with gravy. NO FOOD WAS WASTED.
People had few outfits. Hand-me-downs were common. You had church clothes and play clothes. And you took care of those clothes. Holes were mended and it didn't matter if you liked the clothes or not. You wore what you had.
And people didn't snack or eat all day long either. People were rarely overweight. Because they didn't have an unlimited supply of food at their fingertips. And water came out of the faucet or water hose. Cold water came from a water jug that was kept in the refrigerator.
People weren't being constantly entertained. Kids played outside and made up games with their imaginations. No fancy vacations. There was no money for all these extras that we consider "Rights".
Maybe people will finally wake up and realize that it is a PRIVILEGE to be an American. And feel gratitude and quit being such entitled whiney babies.
People shed blood and died to give us this life.
AND WE ARE STARTING TO PROVE THAT WE DON'T DESERVE IT.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Dark days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
We are all about to have a rude awakening. Some of us are old enough to remember the past. The younger generation has been so spoiled by the goodness of living in the USA, that they have no idea what is coming.
They are about to see why our parents/grandparents drove cars until the wheels fell off. And why it was typical to have one car per family. And why young newlyweds weren't automatically entitled to a fully furnished house. Or lavish weddings (Do y'all remember when a wedding reception typically occurred in the fellowship hall of the church? And the only food was wedding cake, mints, mixed nuts and punch?) A honeymoon might include a night at a hotel, or if they were really lucky they might get a weekend in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
There weren't restaurants on every corner, because people only RARELY ate out. They cooked every meal at home. Or packed a lunch for the road. And they never wasted leftovers. Picky eaters? You either ate what your Mama cooked or you did without. AND NO ONE CARED. We are about to rediscover potato patties, soup, hash, biscuit pudding, rice pudding, cornbread in milk, and bread with gravy. NO FOOD WAS WASTED.
People had few outfits. Hand-me-downs were common. You had church clothes and play clothes. And you took care of those clothes. Holes were mended and it didn't matter if you liked the clothes or not. You wore what you had.
And people didn't snack or eat all day long either. People were rarely overweight. Because they didn't have an unlimited supply of food at their fingertips. And water came out of the faucet or water hose. Cold water came from a water jug that was kept in the refrigerator.
People weren't being constantly entertained. Kids played outside and made up games with their imaginations. No fancy vacations. There was no money for all these extras that we consider "Rights".
Maybe people will finally wake up and realize that it is a PRIVILEGE to be an American. And feel gratitude and quit being such entitled whiney babies.
Thanks for adding depression to my old-age Malaise.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Oh yes the good old days when everyone was perfect , I could go on why they weren’t so perfect but why ruin another the world has gone to hell in a hand basket thread rant and these kids don’t know how good they have it and how lazy they are , but I have to go to gym now
Old 06-08-2022, 11:27 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Old 06-08-2022, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,012 Times in 5,318 Posts

Quote:
You ought to give credit to the author
Old 06-08-2022, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
OMG can we revert back to "just curious what do you think" ? I just ran out of antidepressants.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,012 Times in 5,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Pay attention to the ratings the OP threads receive.
How does one do that?
Old 06-08-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Pay attention to the ratings the OP threads receive.
I never noticed that you could 'rate' a thread before. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Copy and paste job without attribution of a doomsday diatribe found all over the internet.

For some of us doomsday approaching fast. Or should I say grim reaper. So really not our problem or worry. Nobody gets out of this world alive.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:05 AM
Default Entitlement

Quote:
I agree. There are far too many young folks that maintain an irrational sense of entitlement, mostly because they are ungrateful for all they have. However, not all young people are this way.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:15 AM

You are such a pessimist, things have changed because life has moved on. I want better things for my children, you are asking for them to suffer as possibly you did. That is wrong.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
My grandparents used to talk like this in the 40's. Please, times have left you behind. Flip phones and wedding mints are gone. Your kids are the parents of these kids and that means that parenting has contributed to what you call a problem and many of us call progress. Get the horse and buggy out, I am sure there are places that would love to go back to well water and fashion businesses that go belly up. The forest would be a great place to live without the amenities.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

I think you're worried about inflation, however what's really funny is for at least the last 70 years we have had a better and better every single year that was standing what one person asked on national TV quite a while ago. Do you realize that even though we have been forewarned about the problems with automation and lack of jobs for at least 70 years since robots were invented and computers came into use there has been job growth virtually every single year, more restaurants or retail malls more factory jobs and more office jobs? Last year we were told there were 10 million jobs were available and only 5 million people to take them but somehow every month there are three or four hundred thousand new people working at jobs. America still is the greatest country in the world
Old 06-09-2022, 07:17 AM

Correct it’s coming
Old 06-09-2022, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

By the way I have three children, all of them have high six-figure incomes and are doing quite well thank you very much, my middle child is now planning a wedding for next year and they are the type not to spend a huge amount and have a smaller wedding because I understand affording a house is more important than being extravagant. My son is a type to buy a bicycle used rather than to spend full retail. And yes all of my children in their late thirties early forties have large ira accounts because I have taught them well to save but they should also spend money to enjoy life, obviously you have not been taught that.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, clothes, water, food, rarely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.