Rude Awakening

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2022, 10:30 AM
Default Oh, those good old days ...not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
We are all about to have a rude awakening. Some of us are old enough to remember the past. ...these extras that we consider "Rights". Maybe people will finally wake up and realize that it is a PRIVILEGE to be an American. And feel gratitude...
I'm 81 and the only reason that I have a kitchen is because it came with the house! I am grateful to be an American, but I don't consider these extras to be "rights". They are just changes - some of which many can afford and that substantial numbers of others have never been able to obtain. If we're all going to start experiencing hardships even if we're of moderate income, what's going to happen to all of those who are already suffering hardships?
Old 06-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Default The Past

Quote:
We are all about to have a rude awakening. Some of us are old enough to remember the past. The younger generation has been so spoiled by the goodness of living in the USA, that they have no idea what is coming.
They are about to see why our parents/grandparents drove cars until the wheels fell off. And why it was typical to have one car per family. And why young newlyweds weren't automatically entitled to a fully furnished house. Or lavish weddings (Do y'all remember when a wedding reception typically occurred in the fellowship hall of the church? And the only food was wedding cake, mints, mixed nuts and punch?) A honeymoon might include a night at a hotel, or if they were really lucky they might get a weekend in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
There weren't restaurants on every corner, because people only RARELY ate out. They cooked every meal at home. Or packed a lunch for the road. And they never wasted leftovers. Picky eaters? You either ate what your Mama cooked or you did without. AND NO ONE CARED. We are about to rediscover potato patties, soup, hash, biscuit pudding, rice pudding, cornbread in milk, and bread with gravy. NO FOOD WAS WASTED.
People had few outfits. Hand-me-downs were common. You had church clothes and play clothes. And you took care of those clothes. Holes were mended and it didn't matter if you liked the clothes or not. You wore what you had.
And people didn't snack or eat all day long either. People were rarely overweight. Because they didn't have an unlimited supply of food at their fingertips. And water came out of the faucet or water hose. Cold water came from a water jug that was kept in the refrigerator.
People weren't being constantly entertained. Kids played outside and made up games with their imaginations. No fancy vacations. There was no money for all these extras that we consider "Rights".
Maybe people will finally wake up and realize that it is a PRIVILEGE to be an American. And feel gratitude and quit being such entitled whiney babies.
People shed blood and died to give us this life.
AND WE ARE STARTING TO PROVE THAT WE DON'T DESERVE IT.
The only thing I disagree with, is that children CAN NO LONGER PLAY OUTSIDE OR RIDE THEIR BIKES ALL OVER like we used to do. It's a shame, but it is THE TRUTH!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2022, 11:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
Some people seem sorta happy at even the prospect of hard times. This post reminds me of how grandpa walked 5 miles to school in the snow, uphill. Lol
I don't know where you went to school but I attended a one room elementary school in rural Iowa where the road we walked to get there was a dirt road. When it rained it became ankle deep mud and we had to wear overshoes. When it snowed it was sometimes 6-8 inches of snow. Yes it was an uphill walk. My brother and I only had a half mile walk but there were a couple of boys that had a two mile walk. The heat for the winter months was a large coal/wood burning stove we had to shove our desks around in order to stay warm. No running water and outhouses.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:03 PM

All good with mobs breaking through barriers, injuring and killing a police officer, and wanting to hang the VP while waving big flags of a moron's face over the stars and strip? Ok then.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
I think you're worried about inflation, however what's really funny is for at least the last 70 years we have had a better and better every single year that was standing what one person asked on national TV quite a while ago. Do you realize that even though we have been forewarned about the problems with automation and lack of jobs for at least 70 years since robots were invented and computers came into use there has been job growth virtually every single year, more restaurants or retail malls more factory jobs and more office jobs? Last year we were told there were 10 million jobs were available and only 5 million people to take them but somehow every month there are three or four hundred thousand new people working at jobs. America still is the greatest country in the world
The US ranks between 20th to 35th on world lists for various qualities of life. Maybe around 1950, it was in the top ten.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I don't know where you went to school but I attended a one room elementary school in rural Iowa where the road we walked to get there was a dirt road. When it rained it became ankle deep mud and we had to wear overshoes. When it snowed it was sometimes 6-8 inches of snow. Yes it was an uphill walk. My brother and I only had a half mile walk but there were a couple of boys that had a two mile walk. The heat for the winter months was a large coal/wood burning stove we had to shove our desks around in order to stay warm. No running water and outhouses.
Sounds like a tough early life, but if that was all you knew, maybe it wasn't so bad. Where I grew up, every home had running water and no outhouses. It sounds like back then that there were 2 Americas - the coastal US and the Mid West.
..........Actually, maybe things are still the same today.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
We are all about to have a rude awakening. Some of us are old enough to remember the past. The younger generation has been so spoiled by the goodness of living in the USA, that they have no idea what is coming.
They are about to see why our parents/grandparents drove cars until the wheels fell off. And why it was typical to have one car per family. And why young newlyweds weren't automatically entitled to a fully furnished house. Or lavish weddings (Do y'all remember when a wedding reception typically occurred in the fellowship hall of the church? And the only food was wedding cake, mints, mixed nuts and punch?) A honeymoon might include a night at a hotel, or if they were really lucky they might get a weekend in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
There weren't restaurants on every corner, because people only RARELY ate out. They cooked every meal at home. Or packed a lunch for the road. And they never wasted leftovers. Picky eaters? You either ate what your Mama cooked or you did without. AND NO ONE CARED. We are about to rediscover potato patties, soup, hash, biscuit pudding, rice pudding, cornbread in milk, and bread with gravy. NO FOOD WAS WASTED.
People had few outfits. Hand-me-downs were common. You had church clothes and play clothes. And you took care of those clothes. Holes were mended and it didn't matter if you liked the clothes or not. You wore what you had.
And people didn't snack or eat all day long either. People were rarely overweight. Because they didn't have an unlimited supply of food at their fingertips. And water came out of the faucet or water hose. Cold water came from a water jug that was kept in the refrigerator.
People weren't being constantly entertained. Kids played outside and made up games with their imaginations. No fancy vacations. There was no money for all these extras that we consider "Rights".
Maybe people will finally wake up and realize that it is a PRIVILEGE to be an American. And feel gratitude and quit being such entitled whiney babies.
People shed blood and died to give us this life.
AND WE ARE STARTING TO PROVE THAT WE DON'T DESERVE IT.
The good old days. I have movie proof that much of what we remember just is/was not so. I have 16mm movies taken at several family outings by my uncle a WWII combat photographer. We never had a 16mm projector so I never saw them. When, my mom passed, I had them transferred to DVD. They show me at like 5-6. Memories,
my parents were a lot younger than I remember. As a kid I remember being scolded for littering. That evolved in memory that the streets were much cleaner when we were kids-the good old days. The movies show clearly trash blowing in the parks etc.

Wow, snow we had far more snow, it was up to my chest. Reminder I was three feet tall.

I grew up in poverty. Due to hard work and hard saving I am comfortable. Don't deserve it? No one gave it to me.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Honeymoon in Arkansas ???

have never met, or heard, of anyone considering Arkansas as a destination for anything. Unless, of course, you were attending a Klan meeting.

Oh come on!! You aren't interested in knowing the history of why everyone in many small towns has the same last name? I wonder what's the percentage of folks with a complete set of teeth. MMEEEOOWWW
Old 06-09-2022, 10:58 PM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

I remember all of that
Old 06-09-2022, 11:23 PM

I prefer to look forward not backwards. It seems like the older generations are always talking about how great it was and bad it is now. Instead of just bitching and complaining, try looking forward and finding solutions. These kind of posts are why the younger generations tune us out - nothing of value being said.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnberg View Post
And they don’t have free medical plans, pension plans, health insurance and work for companies that have no more loyalty to them than they have to their employers. For
Those of you who complain about how easy it is and how spoiled seem to forget that we were taken from our employers from. Cradle to grave all free benefits and life employment until layoffs began our profit sharing plans were covered by the most part from our employers and many also had lifetime pension plans plus sales had large
Expense accounts that included free client lunch dinners and some even had free golf.
Our pay was more realistic and what is paid now is less than the Increase in costs. Most do require help from parents if they wish to buy a house or be independent and have no life savings.
Need to rethink how we see them today compared to our working days.
We always thought that the next generation would be better off than ours. That stopped about 1985 when people realized
that their next-generation was NOT going to be better off. Some of the reasons for this change are wealth disparity due to tax changes, loss of unions, outsourcing, and US population growth.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
I'm 81 and the only reason that I have a kitchen is because it came with the house! I am grateful to be an American, but I don't consider these extras to be "rights". They are just changes - some of which many can afford and that substantial numbers of others have never been able to obtain. If we're all going to start experiencing hardships even if we're of moderate income, what's going to happen to all of those who are already suffering hardships?
To answer the last question.......those in the US will suffer and cause social disruption. And those presently south of the border will press into the US and cause FURTHER social disruption.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
The good old days. I have movie proof that much of what we remember just is/was not so. I have 16mm movies taken at several family outings by my uncle a WWII combat photographer. We never had a 16mm projector so I never saw them. When, my mom passed, I had them transferred to DVD. They show me at like 5-6. Memories,
my parents were a lot younger than I remember. As a kid I remember being scolded for littering. That evolved in memory that the streets were much cleaner when we were kids-the good old days. The movies show clearly trash blowing in the parks etc.

Wow, snow we had far more snow, it was up to my chest. Reminder I was three feet tall.

I grew up in poverty. Due to hard work and hard saving I am comfortable. Don't deserve it? No one gave it to me.
More snow then.......because that was before Global Warming.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 06-10-2022 at 03:43 PM. Reason: more clarity
Old 06-10-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I see you’re not from flyover state.
NYC area here. Atlantic Coast people honeymooned in Niagara Falls when I was a kid. Same thing as Hot Springs, I guess.
Of course nowadays Niagara Falls is a slum for the most part
Old 06-10-2022, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,272 Times in 4,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
More snow then.......because that was before Global Warming.
OH MY GOD!!! You completely missed the joke!

The snow was much higher because he was MUCH SHORTER! He was a little kid!

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
people, clothes, water, food, rarely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.