Sacremento Gun Buy Back Plan

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2022, 09:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts
Default Sacremento Gun Buy Back Plan

Gas for guns.

They offered gift cards for $50 of gas for guns - legal or illegal - and ran out of cards the first day - LOL!

Dozens of guns turned in to Sacramento Police in exchange for gift cards
Old 05-27-2022, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Kind of depends who is giving back the guns, law abiding citizens or other?
Old 05-27-2022, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Gas for guns.

They offered gift cards for $50 of gas for guns - legal or illegal - and ran out of cards the first day - LOL!

In the process of downsizing, recently sold the motorcycle and snowmobile and going to sell one of the ATV’s and several firearms, only going keep the 9mm Sig, the Marlin lever action 22, the Savage Arms bolt action 30-06, and Thompson Center Fire muzzleloader. That being said, I would be crazy to trade in any of my firearms, which are worth significant $$$, for a $50 gas card. And the world won’t be any safer when I downsize since the firearms are always locked in a safe unless being used for hunting or target practice. But I will be happier, since I’ll get much more use out of the new Yamaha Quiet Tech that I buy with the sale proceeds : (
Old 05-27-2022, 10:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
In the process of downsizing, recently sold the motorcycle and snowmobile and going to sell one of the ATV’s and several firearms, only going keep the 9mm Sig, the Marlin lever action 22, the Savage Arms bolt action 30-06, and Thompson Center Fire muzzleloader. That being said, I would be crazy to trade in any of my firearms, which are worth significant $$$, for a $50 gas card. And the world won’t be any safer when I downsize since the firearms are always locked in a safe unless being used for hunting or target practice. But I will be happier, since I’ll get much more use out of the new Yamaha Quiet Tech that I buy with the sale proceeds : (
Oh, I don't disagree with you. In fact, I literally laughed out loud when I read the article. My wife was startled and asked me why.

And, guess the "gem" in the article is that that almost instantly ran out of cards... hmm. seems to be a desirable action. It certainly will not make a dent in the 400 million guns in circulation, but it is certainly a symbol. Maybe death by a million cuts to guns...

But, I doubt it.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Kind of depends who is giving back the guns, law abiding citizens or other?
hmm, I don't agree, it means fewer guns in circulation. If a million cities did that (I don't think we have a million cities even if you count towns) it would remove 134 million guns.

Not going to happen, it is just a symbol. But, symbols are good. The Flag is a symbol. It wont stop a bullet, but it is still good to have.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Gas for guns.

Read the article!

Quote:
According to the department, officers were told by the public that a “lack of experience” with firearms and a “lack of knowledge” of the legality of guns or the “inability” to safely store the firearms were the main reasons they turned in their weapons.
If they do not how to safely use, store, clean etc., a firearm then maybe they should not own them.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

An elected officials, chest puffing, do nothing/accomplish nothing action!
Old 05-27-2022, 12:21 PM

What it didn't tell you is that they only had 12 cards....
Old 05-27-2022, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
hmm, I don't agree, it means fewer guns in circulation. If a million cities did that (I don't think we have a million cities even if you count towns) it would remove 134 million guns.

Not going to happen, it is just a symbol. But, symbols are good. The Flag is a symbol. It wont stop a bullet, but it is still good to have.
We can agree to disagree but the guns that come back are not likely to be ones used in committing a crime so what is being accomplished?

Makes a few politicians feel good and perhaps fools some of their constituents.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Read the article!

If they do not how to safely use, store, clean etc., a firearm then maybe they should not own them.
I did read the article. And I agree with your conclusion. And my point of the post was that it is one way to reduce the number of guns in circulation - a very small way but a way. I don't really care WHY people are legally disposing of guns, just that they are.

People that are responsible gun owners and want guns, I say go for it.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We can agree to disagree but the guns that come back are not likely to be ones used in committing a crime so what is being accomplished?

Makes a few politicians feel good and perhaps fools some of their constituents.
I think fewer "unwanted" guns being turned in means they won't get stolen and used in crimes, won't be disposed of in ways that could lead to them being found and used, and certainly WON'T be found by their children and used. (one of the reasons given was they didn't know how to safely store them)

Fewer guns is better - for me. As I said, it is small to the point of insignificant. But it is a reduction.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
What it didn't tell you is that they only had 12 cards....
Actually they did tell us how many. If you want to know the TRUTH, read the article.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
An elected officials, chest puffing, do nothing/accomplish nothing action!
#SAD

It would appear that anything anyone does that someone doesn't agree with is just "chest puffing". To me it was a symbolic act. Obviously no one thinks taking 134 guns off the street in a country with 400 million is circulation is going to make any difference.

It was a symbol. Kind of like wearing school colors, flying the flag, marrying an arm ornament, and on and on. We are a country built on symbols.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Gas for guns.

Funny! They aren't very bright, unless they are turning in stolen, broken or junk guns. Of course, now the gangs/criminals will have less resistance.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Hmmm, maybe I will offer TWO gas cards for a gun turned in.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, guns, cards, lol, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.