Sacremento Gun Buy Back Plan

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2022, 07:36 PM
Sage

Not necessary or even wanted. Teachers would need extensive training in order to deal with the adrenaline rush and stress. If all schools were treated like Government buildings it would be hard for these sorts of tragedies to happen. You can't easily get into any Government building without being scrutinized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Give the bought back guns to teachers that want them and allow them to carry them in the schools! BOOM
Old 05-28-2022, 07:36 PM

Was
Old 05-28-2022, 07:38 PM
Sage

Good point. Also, about 60% of deaths by firearms are suicides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika Greiner View Post
I am going to add my two cents to this conversation. AR-15 stands for Armalite Rifle Model 15. It is not an assault rifle as an assault weapon is capable of firing full automatic (pull and hold the trigger and the weapon will keep firing at a rapid rate until the magazine is empty). I wish the news media knew the difference. I think the closest most of them have been to a firearm is a picture in a magazine. All firearms are designed to kill even pellet guns which are technically not firearms. Most AR-15s are in caliber 223 Remington. In some states it is illegal to hunt deer with a 223 as it is considered to small to humanly kill a deer. You can also get an AR style rifle in 22LR which is basically a squirrel and rabbit gun. Do people hunt with AR RIFLES? Yes! Why! They are light in weight, adjustable to fit different size people very light in recoil. They are used for varmint hunting and in Texas they are used to reduce the population of wild hogs. There are 400 to 500 million guns owned by 100 million or so people in America. One non gun owner ask why you need more than one gun. There are a little more than 25 million active golf players in American and most have 14 clubs in their bag. I have about 36 clubs in my garage not including a couple of dozen clubs belonging to my wife. While a 9 iron can be used to replace a broken PW it does not work very well as a driver. Same thing with guns. For the person who suggested in jest I hope that we go back to killing people the old fashioned way (sticks, rocks, knives, etc) suggest you check the FBI web site and you can see that more people are killed in the US each year with knives, fist, blunt objects than all types of rifles combined. In Europe with all of the immigrants who have arrived the weapons of choice are knives.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
I understand that you are a safe, responsible gun owner but why on earth do you need three guns?
Why does someone need three guns? I shoot in competitions that require different firearms so that is why I need multiple guns. At one time I owned 5 automobiles at the same time when 2 cars would have been all I "needed" but I had a use for each of them. It's no one's business what I own and what I need. If the ownership is legal, what is the problem other than your desire to force your beliefs on me.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Not necessary or even wanted. Teachers would need extensive training in order to deal with the adrenaline rush and stress. If all schools were treated like Government buildings it would be hard for these sorts of tragedies to happen. You can't easily get into any Government building without being scrutinized.
If a teacher is willing and able to get this training why would this be wrong?
Old 05-28-2022, 08:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Absolutely agree. Giving guns to teachers that don't want them and have never fired them, and the telling them a teenager on an adrenaline high is going to purst into your class with 2 semi-automatic weapons firing as fast as he can. We want you to pull your gun and try to shoot him before you get shot or pass out or shoot a student or 3 because you are shaking so much.

Bad idea since it was first conceived.

Who do you think the shooter is going to shoot first?

I agree,

1. Harden schools with a single point of entry secured with biometric ID checking. Cards will get lost or stolen.

2. Implement national universal background checks, which would include unsealing minor records - this shooter was 18, he did not commit any crimes, and or get convicted in the two days since his birthday.

3. Implement a national wide system of training and apprenticeships for active shooter training. NO Officer without actual experience is allowed on a case. "Fireteams" of 3 to 5 stationed within 3 to 5 minutes of schools via helicopter transport. They have NO other jobs while on duty, duty can be rotated so they are not too "bored" between shootings.

4. Automated gunshot detection systems in and around schools to detect the number, type, and location of gunshots in school and send that info to the designated team who will arrive within 5 minutes with knowledge of how many shooters, what kind of guns, and where they are located. (AI-based detection can give a "good guess" to the type of weapon, multiple microphones around and in the school can triangulate on the location, and possibly provide live voice/sound streams to the fire team so they can hear what is going on. This would be expensive. But I am sure there are smarter people that me that can figure out how to "timeshare" the teams or something to reduce the cost.

That will not STOP the problem, but it will seriously reduce it.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Have you ever faced an active shooter high on adrenaline?

Have you ever read reports of trained police officers accidentally shooting innocent bystanders in a firefight? (I have)

There are training videos on youtube that show how actual highly trained officers can make serious mistakes in high adrenaline situations.

Then imagine if the teacher is nervous - shaking and misses the active shooter but kills multiple children that are in the room... Too much risk of things going sideways. There is no way a teacher can be just trained and be an asset in that situation the first time they face it.

The police in this shooting apparently had active shooter training, but NO experience. And it appears there was a lot of confusion and possibly even mistakes. That is NOT an attack on the police. I am sure they did the best they could. But, the first time in a fire fight is not a good place to be.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:14 PM
Sage

It would be better to just secure the buildings, really secure the buildings, then arming teachers won't be necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

Last edited by biker1; 05-28-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:37 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread has turned into just another gun control debate. We already have a very lengthy one of those.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, guns, cards, lol, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.