The Scientist Who Laid the Groundwork for mRNA Vaccines

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2021, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default The Scientist Who Laid the Groundwork for mRNA Vaccines

This is a great and very enlightening story. And, she is a woman! .......

Kati Kariko Helped Shield the World From the Coronavirus - The New York Times
Old 04-09-2021, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

thanks for posting it.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
thanks for posting it.
You're welcome!
Old 04-10-2021, 03:13 AM
Default Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

The New York Times ?
Old 04-10-2021, 06:01 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
The New York Times ?
How about this ?

Perseverance paid off.

UPenn COVID vaccine researcher Kariko was dismissed and demoted - On top of Philly news
[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/search/research-news/13214/?utm_source=gquery&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaig n=gquery-home]

News: Kati Kariko Helped Shield the World...

There are a lot of references to her and her work on mRNA.

NEW YORK TIMES didn't make this up...
Old 04-10-2021, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you Mr. Bean for this wonderful article. I have copied it immediately to my Facebook page. Not only is she a woman, but a senior citizen. I believe a man could have done this, but assuredly no KID could have.

We owe millions of lives to her and this step will change the course of future medicine.

Thank you wonderful and dedicated ethical scientists. Thank you from my heart.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Personally I feel that bringing to light what sex she is doesn't make the story any less amazing and actually keeps reminding everyone that there's a professional difference between women and men when there is usually not. That actually causes more division instead of bringing us closer to unity in the work place and that there isn't any difference in most jobs and their requirements.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Personally I feel that bringing to light what sex she is doesn't make the story any less amazing and actually keeps reminding everyone that there's a professional difference between women and men when there is usually not. That actually causes more division instead of bringing us closer to unity in the work place and that there isn't any difference in most jobs and their requirements.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank you Mr. Bean for this wonderful article. I have copied it immediately to my Facebook page. Not only is she a woman, but a senior citizen. I believe a man could have done this, but assuredly no KID could have.

We owe millions of lives to her and this step will change the course of future medicine.

Thank you wonderful and dedicated ethical scientists. Thank you from my heart.
You're welcome, Gracie. You are such a hoot. This is Mr. Bean. He is a hoot too..........

ARMCHAIR Bean | Funny Clips | Mr Bean Official - YouTube
Old 04-10-2021, 04:29 PM
John41

Quote:

What annoys me is the university did not restore her to her tenure track. A few administrators need to be given the boot.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:58 AM

Great article. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

How truly sad. The reason why our nation is so divided. "And she is a woman." Where we are and how we arrived.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

That is not so. Women do not think the same as men do. Classic. Everyone will realize it.
A guy does one thing at a time and plans. First I need to do this then that then.............
A woman and I believe it is genetic does multitasking with no realization of a plan.
Simple example. Hang a picture. He, collects the needed stuff hook, hammer. level etc.
If, he is wise, he has her pick the exact spot, knowing that if he decides she will latter tell him it needs to be further left, right up or down. Then, during the job she will say and I also want you to do this do that. Either the this or the that will include painting the wall before you hang the picture.

Together a man and a woman are a powerful team. Each fills in what the other lacks.
Today, we insist on denying reality
Old 04-11-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Her gender is extremely important to her story. The presumption in her field was, and likely still is, that a woman can't do it as well as a man. It is very important to over and over again point out the prejudice of that notion. It is very notable that those who continuous decry cases where the success of a woman or a POC is highlighted almost always are white males who have internalized our sadly not yet past cultural bias in their favor.

Just this week a national opinionator told his viewers that if woman and POC were given special consideration on entering flight training there would be plane crashes and people would die as a result, because of course those inferior people can't apparently be adequately trained and the system in place to only promote capable people from the training program does not exist in his presentation to his gullible viewers who have internalized white supremacy.

Mortal1 is correct that there is no REAL professional difference but there is an enormous perceived difference and that perception will only be changed by story after after story pointing out the contributions of not white males to the betterment of our world.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
That is not so. Women do not think the same as men do. Classic. Everyone will realize it.
A guy does one thing at a time and plans. First I need to do this then that then.............
A woman and I believe it is genetic does multitasking with no realization of a plan.
Simple example. Hang a picture. He, collects the needed stuff hook, hammer. level etc.
If, he is wise, he has her pick the exact spot, knowing that if he decides she will latter tell him it needs to be further left, right up or down. Then, during the job she will say and I also want you to do this do that. Either the this or the that will include painting the wall before you hang the picture.

Together a man and a woman are a powerful team. Each fills in what the other lacks.
Today, we insist on denying reality
Maybe you need to read the linked article to see how a woman can do one thing at a time and plan. To see how this woman was focused for decades on RNA function. To see how she wasn't in the lab so she could make interior decorating or paint selections. It might actually educate you that it is not a man who gets the task done with the little lady helping with making it look nice, up or down left or right. You may not realize it but your posting is exactly the kind of misogyny needs to go away.

In your estimation, a man can hang a picture without a woman who is only there to micromanage the trivia. A woman certainly could not have hung the picture herself as she is too busy multitasking, which you seem to think is the same as can't focus on a plan for the job.

Tags
groundwork, mrna, vaccines, scientist, laid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.