The Scientist Who Laid the Groundwork for mRNA Vaccines

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2021, 09:54 AM
Location: Currently Genesee, Colorado but selling house soon and heading out in a van. We’ll be in TV in Kct

I’m very new to TOTV. Is there a man vs woman problem in TV (I’ve seen many references to it) or do I just keep seeing posts from coffeebean ?
Old 04-11-2021, 12:02 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRealms View Post
It's from the NYT so it's credibility is immediately in question.
Normally I'd agree in principle.

Except that there are a LOT of other sources.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:22 PM
Platinum member
Default Mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmeso View Post
i’m very new to totv. Is there a man vs woman problem in tv (i’ve seen many references to it) or do i just keep seeing posts from coffeebean ?
the issue is that the citizens of planet earth are having a difficult time, due to many, world societal & parochial issues, to look above the fray. All great scientists & others have one common link, their humanity.
Every einstein et al had a set of parents, grandparents etc. What was their particular iq ?
To dwell on race, sex, creed etc is a step backwards in understanding and perfecting our humanity. 🌎 out.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This is a great and very enlightening story. And, she is a woman! .......

Kati Kariko Helped Shield the World From the Coronavirus - The New York Times
Thank you. That was a fascinating story. I particularly liked:

"Chinese scientists posted the genetic sequence of the virus ravaging Wuhan in January 2020, and researchers everywhere went to work. BioNTech designed its mRNA vaccine in hours; Moderna designed its in two days."
Old 04-11-2021, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMeso View Post
I’m very new to TOTV. Is there a man vs woman problem in TV (I’ve seen many references to it) or do I just keep seeing posts from coffeebean ?
Coffeebean is neither male nor female. The seed of a coffee cherry (known as the bean) is hermaphrodite.

Most people have no problem with this. So it's not a "this vs. that problem" at all.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:30 PM

Great story. Doesn’t matter woman or man. Don’t want to take away from the importance of the story, but I like to take up for the underdog and that has become men.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
That is not so. Women do not think the same as men do. Classic. Everyone will realize it.
A guy does one thing at a time and plans. First I need to do this then that then.............
A woman and I believe it is genetic does multitasking with no realization of a plan.
Simple example. Hang a picture. He, collects the needed stuff hook, hammer. level etc.
If, he is wise, he has her pick the exact spot, knowing that if he decides she will latter tell him it needs to be further left, right up or down. Then, during the job she will say and I also want you to do this do that. Either the this or the that will include painting the wall before you hang the picture.

Together a man and a woman are a powerful team. Each fills in what the other lacks.
Today, we insist on denying reality
That was just "good old BOY PROPAGANDA"!!!!! And it is an insult to women at a time when they are trying to recover from losing more income than similar men due to the CV Pandemic. Men always say that it is a team thing between a wife and a husband - but somehow the husband ASSUMES (?) that HE is the team CAPTAIN. The whole post was just old thinking that has NOT evolved from the 1950s. That's a shame - the world has moved on and now values both genders equally. Can TV Land really be THAT backward?????
Old 04-11-2021, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
That is not so. Women do not think the same as men do. Classic. Everyone will realize it.
A guy does one thing at a time and plans. First I need to do this then that then.............
A woman and I believe it is genetic does multitasking with no realization of a plan.
Simple example. Hang a picture. He, collects the needed stuff hook, hammer. level etc.
If, he is wise, he has her pick the exact spot, knowing that if he decides she will latter tell him it needs to be further left, right up or down. Then, during the job she will say and I also want you to do this do that. Either the this or the that will include painting the wall before you hang the picture.

Together a man and a woman are a powerful team. Each fills in what the other lacks.
That is an absolutely ridiculous stereotype. There are left brain and right brain thinkers in both sexes. That is why women can equal or exceed their counterparts in traditionally male dominated professions. I have met many women who hang their own pictures and men who don’t know how to use a hammer and level.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Her gender is extremely important to her story. The presumption in her field was, and likely still is, that a woman can't do it as well as a man. It is very important to over and over again point out the prejudice of that notion. It is very notable that those who continuous decry cases where the success of a woman or a POC is highlighted almost always are white males who have internalized our sadly not yet past cultural bias in their favor.

Just this week a national opinionator told his viewers that if woman and POC were given special consideration on entering flight training there would be plane crashes and people would die as a result, because of course those inferior people can't apparently be adequately trained and the system in place to only promote capable people from the training program does not exist in his presentation to his gullible viewers who have internalized white supremacy.

Mortal1 is correct that there is no REAL professional difference but there is an enormous perceived difference and that perception will only be changed by story after after story pointing out the contributions of not white males to the betterment of our world.
The way I see it is that you are BOTH correct. Good job BOTH of you.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMeso View Post
More likely it is a problem for old people all around the country. Look at the Television that molded our minds way back in the day. Look at Ricky and Lucy. Ricky earned the $ by being talented, debonair, and famous. What was Lucy - just arm candy - and an airhead at that. All doctors were male. Nurses were subordinates, like in "Mash" in the early 1950s. Cowboys carried guns. Cowgirls carried babies and cooked. Look at Hollywood movies - Marilyn Monroe was NOT famous for her acting like James Dean. "Thelma and Louise" was so unique in 1991 because the "heroes" were 2 women and still was a popular, money-making movie.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

My goodness. I honestly did not think those words I uttered about the scientist's gender would spark such a controversy. That was not my intention at all. I was more interested in getting her compelling story told.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:58 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
My goodness. I honestly did not think those words I uttered about the scientist's gender would spark such a controversy. I was more interested in getting her compelling story told.
I wouldn't worry about it. Most people took the article as intended.
But, as always, some people just like to find reasons to argue, complain, or cause controversy.
Just bored, I guess..
Old 05-17-2021, 05:59 AM
Veteran member

rather than repost again and again, here is the thread....
Old 05-17-2021, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
rather than repost again and again, here is the thread....
No link in your post.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:

As a medical professional who has spent a great deal of my career in research labs, I couldn’t disagree more…
Closed Thread

Tags
groundwork, mrna, vaccines, scientist, laid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.