Shoplifting at Publix

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2021, 12:20 PM

My daughter lives in Seattle, they passed a law that basically legalized shoplifting if you are homeless, so there is a run on shoplifting with people filling carts and just walking out with no one stopping them. She was at Target yesterday and couldn't believe what was happening, people were pushing their carts out the IN door walking right past the registers and never paying. She watched this for over 10 minutes then asked at Customer Service why no one was stopping them and was told it's store policy not to confront since the new law went into effect. At least here they get reported and get a notice to appear.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Most likely.

Though not surprising, unfortunately. We rarely by eggs at Publix but when we do we always open the carton. Amazing, how many size medium eggs end up in those extra-large or jumbo cartons.
Have you ever noticed customers open the packages and exchange the smaller eggs in one package for larger eggs in another package. Some could be exchanging eggs in a Large package for eggs from an Extra Large or Jumbo package, which would be considered shoplifting. I have seen people exchange eggs from one Large package to another Large package, which seems like the one Large package has all medium or small eggs.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:32 PM

I eat my bag of grapes while I shop...that is shoplifting. I leave them in the frozen dinner aisle.....
Old 08-17-2021, 03:53 PM
Default Petty theft not a bookable offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Today, according to a merchant, the Publix at Colony Plaza caught a woman shoplifter and called the police. A policewoman arrived and parked her car behind the shoplifter's BMW. After about 5 minutes, the police handed her a large piece of paper, and the woman was free to go. The woman never got out of the car. That doesn't sound like law enforcement to me.
Jails do not book people who are arrested on theft charges unless the amount stolen was over 10K. The woman likely got a cite in lieu of an arrest if she had identification. If she doesn’t show up on the court date they will put a warrant out for her arrest.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Today, according to a merchant, the Publix at Colony Plaza caught a woman shoplifter and called the police. A policewoman arrived and parked her car behind the shoplifter's BMW. After about 5 minutes, the police handed her a large piece of paper, and the woman was free to go. The woman never got out of the car. That doesn't sound like law enforcement to me.
Do not judge what a Law Enforcement Officer does until you walk in their shoes.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Do not judge what a Law Enforcement Officer does until you walk in their shoes.
I was not judging anyone. My issue is with a justice system that seems to be too lenient on crime. I think that stealing should be treated as a crime.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Did you actually type that with a straight face. San Francisco was certainly once a great city but have you been there recently? Not so great anymore.

Was that before the great fire?
Old 08-17-2021, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDToto41 View Post
Have you ever noticed customers open the packages and exchange the smaller eggs in one package for larger eggs in another package. Some could be exchanging eggs in a Large package for eggs from an Extra Large or Jumbo package, which would be considered shoplifting. I have seen people exchange eggs from one Large package to another Large package, which seems like the one Large package has all medium or small eggs.
That sounds like a lot of work to me. I didn’t realize people did that to eggs. Next time I might look at what is actually in the carton.

Theft is theft. I just want to know why it is only one sided.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:01 PM

I like the egg thread better
Old 08-17-2021, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
My daughter lives in Seattle, they passed a law that basically legalized shoplifting if you are homeless, so there is a run on shoplifting with people filling carts and just walking out with no one stopping them. She was at Target yesterday and couldn't believe what was happening, people were pushing their carts out the IN door walking right past the registers and never paying. She watched this for over 10 minutes then asked at Customer Service why no one was stopping them and was told it's store policy not to confront since the new law went into effect. At least here they get reported and get a notice to appear.
A google search fails to find any evidence that the law has changed in Seattle. There was a proposal that went nowhere to after arrest and in front of a jury a person could plead poverty as the reason for theft, and it not only did not pass, no law was even written.

I did find a story from June in Seattle where a police task force assigned plain clothes LEO's to several large stores, including a Target, to arrest shoplifters.

Whatever your daughter thinks is going on, or not going on, in Seattle, there has been absolutely no change in their shoplifting laws.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:23 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
That sounds like a lot of work to me. I didn’t realize people did that to eggs. Next time I might look at what is actually in the carton.

Theft is theft. I just want to know why it is only one sided.
I always lift each egg individually to make sure none are stuck in the carton.
If they get stuck then most likely they will break when trying to remove them then I just try to find another good carton of eggs...
Old 08-18-2021, 07:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

He thanked her for removing The Impossible meat and Incogmeato from the store !
Closed Thread

Tags
woman, police, publix, car, piece

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.