Shoplifting at Publix

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2021, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Thats because you dont know how law enforcement works and shouldnt be critisizing an officers actions. Its a misdemeanor if the value is under $500. therefore they are given a notice to appear in court. Its like being arrested, taken to jail and being released without posting bail. So, instead of an officer wasting their time on trivial garbage, they give them the “notice to appear” at the scene. And not driving to the jail, waiting their turn to drop the arrestee, doing all the paperwork n then having to drive back to their work area. Im sure if she did arrest the person, people would be complaining that the cops arent doing important things. Damned if you do, damned if you dont
Thanks for your expert input on how a shoplifting charge is to be handled. That explains why according to https://www.**************.com/2021/...iskey-glasses/ a woman was
Quote:
went through the self-checkout lane and paid 24 cents for a Lego set valued at $29.97. She also paid 24 cents for a set of whiskey glasses priced at $7.84...also found to be in possession of clothing taken from Walmart...She was arrested on a charge of theft and booked at the Sumter County Detention Center. She was released after posting $500 bond.
or this story
Quote:
walked out of the store and was in possession of a pair of JLAPS earbuds for which he had not paid, the report said. The earbuds were valued at $24.99. They had been tucked inside [his] pocket.

He was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of theft and booked at the Lake County Jail on $500 bond.
or this one
Quote:
The merchandise had a before tax value of $69.79.

.. was arrested on a charge of larceny and booked at the Sumter County Detention Center. He was released after posting $500 bond.
or
Quote:
A shoplifting suspect at Wal-Mart at Buffalo Ridge Plaza in The Villages offered to pay for merchandise when he was on his way to jail.

[he] went to the self-checkout on Sunday afternoon and scanned some merchandise, but not a 14-piece cookware set and universal mount bundle,
or
Quote:
selected several T-shirts and proceeded to the crafts department where she selected several transfer patches. She placed the merchandise in bags and left the store without paying for it, the report said.

[she] was arrested on a charge of theft. She was booked at the Sumter County Detention Center on $500 bond.
All these reports and many more can be found on the forbidden website by typing the word shoplift into the search box on that site.

Maybe there were other special circumstances in those stories not reported but the low bond strongly suggests there were not as cases where drugs were also found or it was a probation violation etc. all have higher bonds. It does appear that there is discretion by the cops as to book them at HQ or give them a notice to appear.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:11 AM

What does "shades of San Francisco" mean? Are you jealous of a great city???
Old 08-17-2021, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I would have preferred that the woman be arrested and required to post a bond. Instead, she and the police officer blocked the lane in front of the Publix while the woman sat in her air conditioned car and the police officer did paperwork, and then released her. It just doesn't seem like a good way to deter people from stealing.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:25 AM
Default Size does not matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Most likely.

Though not surprising, unfortunately. We rarely by eggs at Publix but when we do we always open the carton. Amazing, how many size medium eggs end up in those extra-large or jumbo cartons.
Size does not matter when buying a carton of eggs. You are buying the weight of the carton of eggs so various sizes may be in the carton to make the appropriate weight. Look at the carton and compare the weight of the various sizes. People who take out "Small" eggs and replace with "Larger" eggs are committing a crime just like someone changing the tags on clothing and paying the lower price for more expensive items.
If you don't believe me, ask the store manager.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:30 AM

Please do some research and educate yourself before you make bogus claims.

First, if the store does not want to prosecute law enforcement can do nothing. It cost the stores money to send a rep to court in these cases. If they get their product back they will trespass the person from the property. The person gets “a piece of paper” as well as the store.

Second, if the store wants to prosecute, the crime is a misdemeanor. If she has no open warrants, Police will issue a Notice to Appear, a court date for her to show up, “a piece of paper.” This allows police to not be tired up processing a minor arrest and frees them quicker to be available to respond to another emergency.

So unless you spoke with the store manager or the police your accusations are unfounded. You are also free to request a copy of all the paperwork on the call through the sunshine law.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycirocco@me.com View Post
What does "shades of San Francisco" mean? Are you jealous of a great city???
Did you actually type that with a straight face. San Francisco was certainly once a great city but have you been there recently? Not so great anymore.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-17-2021, 07:39 AM

Retired guy,

So what was your point in posting this then.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal195z View Post
Size does not matter when buying a carton of eggs. You are buying the weight of the carton of eggs so various sizes may be in the carton to make the appropriate weight. Look at the carton and compare the weight of the various sizes. People who take out "Small" eggs and replace with "Larger" eggs are committing a crime just like someone changing the tags on clothing and paying the lower price for more expensive items.
If you don't believe me, ask the store manager.
Huh? I don't buy many eggs, but I thought that, when a person buys a dozen large eggs, they expect to get 12 large eggs. Many recipes that include eggs, specify the size of the eggs.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecenturian View Post
Retired guy,

So what was your point in posting this then.
It is a current news event in The Villages, and I was concerned that shoplifting is apparently often treated more like a minor traffic violation.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Huh? I don't buy many eggs, but I thought that, when a person buys a dozen large eggs, they expect to get 12 large eggs. Many recipes that include eggs, specify the size of the eggs.
True.

I understand that eggs are sold by weight and there is bound to be some variation in size in a dozen eggs, no matter what the size. But there is variation, and then there is variation. An extra-large egg is about a third larger than a medium egg, and if you open a carton with containing maybe four eggs with that difference it doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to see that some shenanigans are going on.

On the overall scale of things, swiping a few eggs from an extra-large carton and replacing them with the mediums from your carton is pennies. But it is the idea that it is going on at all that is troubling. You're not robbing the store. You're robbing the person who believes that they are buying a carton full of extra-large eggs.

Sign of the times, I guess.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:31 AM

I just by 2 dozen and fahgetttahbout it
Old 08-17-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Today, according to a merchant, the Publix at Colony Plaza caught a woman shoplifter and called the police. A policewoman arrived and parked her car behind the shoplifter's BMW. After about 5 minutes, the police handed her a large piece of paper, and the woman was free to go. The woman never got out of the car. That doesn't sound like law enforcement to me.
It wasn't a felony, that means she was cited. Anything under $300 is a misdemeanor and businesses handle them differently. You can cite them with a court appearance, no trespass order them or both.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
It is a current news event in The Villages, and I was concerned that shoplifting is apparently often treated more like a minor traffic violation.
I agree. Thanks for posting this information. Shop lifting is serious. But I had no idea before reading about Florida rules that changing a broken egg in a carton can also be called shop lifting. What about when they sell you rotten tomatoes. Is that called Buyer lifting?

Last edited by Velvet; 08-17-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Amazing how it seems the only thing some have to do is to argue every post. Whether it's semantics or totally off topic.

I accept the OPs explanation as what the OP thinks happened. I respect that. I see no reason to dispute it. I accept it the way I accept anything I read on the internet - with a grain of salt.

Meaning, it is true until proven wrong. Some times I do some searching to see if it makes sense, sometimes it isn't worth it to me.

It seems everyone has to make assumptions that post have an agenda or are just wrong.

Maybe we should chill a bit.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I agree. Thanks for posting this information. Shop lifting is serious. But I had no idea before reading about Florida rules that changing a broken egg in a carton can also be called shop lifting. What about when they sell you rotten tomatoes. Is that called Buyer lifting?
"Changing a broken egg" requires that you get its replacement from somewhere. If you're getting it from another carton on the shelf, then you are depriving the next customer of a whole dozen eggs.

There are a couple of things you can do if you see a broken egg in a carton.

You can: let an employee nearby know, and let them deal with it (or not).

Get the carton you want, that has 12 whole intact eggs, and leave the one with the broken egg(s) on the shelf.

Take a carton with no broken eggs for yourself, and take the carton with the broken eggs to customer service or the dairy department manager.

What Publix does, is they'll replace eggs from "broken cartons" with good eggs from other "broken cartons," so the end result is a dozen broken eggs all together, and a few dozen good eggs that can then be sold. They keep them within the same batches so none of them are older than the others.

Then they damage out the cartons that have all broken eggs in them.

I only buy the free-range eggs from "Happy" and "Handsome" eggs. I expect that within the carton of "large" eggs, I'll find one or two that are "jumbo" or "extra large." They're also not uniform in color; some will be darker than others, some will be speckled. Once in a blue moon I'll find a medium in there but it balances out with the extra-larges that end up in the carton. I'll wait til I have a recipe that calls for 2 large eggs and use that lone medium with one of the extra-larges, and problem solved.

Baking is not an "exact" science, but it's damned near close
Closed Thread

Tags
woman, police, publix, car, piece

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.