Should all dogs be muzzled?

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2021, 10:44 AM

Our Princess is a Certified Therapy Dog. She is trained to be friendly with people. The thought of muzzling her is repulsive. Don't throw all dogs in the same pickle barrel because of a few bad actors that don't make the time investment to properly train their dogs.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,856 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hypothetical.
A friend of mine was walking through his neighborhood in the Villages and as he walked past a neighbor walking his dog, the dog lunged at him and bit him. Not severely, but the shock that it could have been serious, scared him as well as the dog's owner.

Question:
Should ALL dogs be muzzled when they are not on their own property?
What distance should one pass a leashed dog in the street for their safety?
If the dog has been vaccinated for rabies, can he still carry the virus?

Even though only one of many dogs in the Villages is guilty of biting a passing stranger, should ALL dogs then be muzzled to protect other folks, just in case? Or should you maintain a "social distance" from walking dogs to protect yourself? If the dog is on a leash that is only six foot long and under control of the owner, is it the owner's responsibility to put a muzzle on the dog IF you decide to approach or is it your responsibility to maintain a safe distance to protect yourself? What if the owner tells you that his dog has never ever bitten or attempted to bite anyone, ever? Do you still approach that dog IF you are worried about being bitten?

So, would you muzzle all the dogs in America, if one dog that had rabies bit someone and they died? If so, even after hearing that most dogs were vaccinated?

Does this argument sound familiar?
Hint: This has nothing to do with animals.
Hardly any dogs in The Villages need to be muzzled. When I walk my dogs in my neighborhood, they are on a leash. When we walk in the woods near the Belle Meade Dog Park, they are not. The dogs enjoy meeting other dogs, and if people have dangerous dogs, they keep them leashed.

However, I do think owners have a moral duty to train their dogs to be obedient and controlled, so they aren’t tugging the owners’ arms out of their sockets. Dogs appreciate learning how to be part of the team. (There’s a great book about this called “Adam’s Task: Calling Animals By Name.”) Dog owners are used to asking owners of dogs they don’t know if the dog is friendly before letting their dogs meet. Even little dogs don’t necessarily welcome being petted at first. Ask first! And dogs have instinctual actions that we need to keep in mind. Some dogs can’t help herding behavior. Some dogs immediately go after any animals or people running away, or running at all. To my little dog, something rat-sized should be shaken to death. To a sight-hound, my little dog seems to be a rabbit to be caught and eaten if she runs. To some pit-bulls . . . In any case, training and being used to being around people and other animals solves a lot of problems.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	0BA29869-94B5-44E1-8DFC-851A335D0EEF.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	88088  
Old 02-09-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Ah, but also going along with your playing along with my analogy, if everyone is vaccinated, and only have a 90% efficacy, then everyone could still be vulnerable by those that may be carrying the virus that have been vaccinated. Your hypothetical suggests that "others may unknowingly be carrying" even though they are protected.

My suggestion is that it is not one person's responsibility to protect you. It is your responsibility to protect yourself. Otherwise, you are handicapped and reliant on others for your well being.
My question remains, is everyone supposed to be punished/penalized for the faults of one? I know my answer, but others do not seem to see the fallacy of expecting others to be "my brother's keeper."
This is why our rates are so high. In a pandemic we need to protect the country.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72eagleman View Post
Our Princess is a Certified Therapy Dog. She is trained to be friendly with people. The thought of muzzling her is repulsive. Don't throw all dogs in the same pickle barrel because of a few bad actors that don't make the time investment to properly train their dogs.
It was a mask parody. Not about dogs.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

And I thought that the children of today have reading comprehension problems. Whew!
Old 02-09-2021, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
So you are saying that EVERYONE should have been given the N95 masks by the gov. immediately? And you are also suggesting that this mask wearing would have saved us from the virus? I don't think so. Most folks that were infected, were infected at home. I don't know anyone that wears a mask at home, but I could be mistaken. In a country as large as ours, there would never be total compliance with a mask mandate without a revolution occurring.
No problem wearing mask at home. When I flew home I quarantined for 14 days and wore a mask at all times whenever I was on the same floor with hubby. He is vulnerable and it gave me great peace of mind that I always wore my N95 mask around him. I slept on a different floor for 2 weeks. It was like wearing socks, no biggie, but the peace of mind was absolutely worth it. Why one wouldn’t value their family enough is beyond me.

(My reward for wearing a mask at home, was that hubby is alive months later, and around to watch the SuperBowl with me, I won the wager because Tom Brady was his usual self, and hubby will learn to make crème brûlée on Valentines Day for me. )

And yes, medical people have said it would only take one month to be in control of this virus if everyone (who could) would wear a protective mask - not a bandana etc. since several countries said something similar I tend to believe it. Will it happen in the US? Don’t think so, people prefer fairy tales instead. Thus the consequences.

Last edited by Velvet; 02-09-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:51 PM

Dogs S/B wearing Covid masks!
Old 02-10-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Yet another mask thread
never

Last edited by rwfisher1969; 02-10-2021 at 10:44 AM. Reason: I prefer to delete my response so there
Old 02-10-2021, 04:02 PM

Yep. Overpopulation and now the thousands marching to our borders. So much for shutting down the virus. !!!
Old 02-10-2021, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

There's someone who brings their beagle to the Paradise Dog Park every day, and it runs back and forth, back and forth, SCREAMING as though it's in horrible agonizing pain. This goes on non-stop for at least 30 minutes (I finally left, and it was still going on). The dog park is RIGHT next to the Archery Range.

Imagine the distraction of this screaming to people trying to aim at targets with VERY sharp, VERY deadly arrows...

Here's an example of what this beagle does - nonstop - next to the Archery Range - for at least 1/2 hour, while its owner just hangs out and apparently watches with great amusement.

screaming beagle - YouTube
Old 02-10-2021, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
All unvaccinated dog owners should be on a short leash, wearing a muzzle.
Any dog walking an unleashed or unmuzzled owner should be impounded.
All vaccinated people should be unmuzzled, and dancing and getting p****d up at the squares!
Agree, but if I COULD GET the damn shot I would. When you have thousands trying to get hundred slots or so it going to take couple years.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
So you are saying that EVERYONE should have been given the N95 masks by the gov. immediately? And you are also suggesting that this mask wearing would have saved us from the virus? I don't think so. Most folks that were infected, were infected at home. I don't know anyone that wears a mask at home, but I could be mistaken. In a country as large as ours, there would never be total compliance with a mask mandate without a revolution occurring.
How do you get infected at home and why would wear mask at home. Now, I could understand catching it out and about and bring it home. Somebody had to drag it in to catch it at home which means somebody was already infected.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There's someone who brings their beagle to the Paradise Dog Park every day, and it runs back and forth, back and forth, SCREAMING as though it's in horrible agonizing pain. This goes on non-stop for at least 30 minutes (I finally left, and it was still going on). The dog park is RIGHT next to the Archery Range.

Imagine the distraction of this screaming to people trying to aim at targets with VERY sharp, VERY deadly arrows...

Here's an example of what this beagle does - nonstop - next to the Archery Range - for at least 1/2 hour, while its owner just hangs out and apparently watches with great amusement.

screaming beagle - YouTube
Concentration, to be good at anything you have to block out and concentrate.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, dogs, distance, muzzled, protect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.