Should all dogs be muzzled?

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2021, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts
Default Should all dogs be muzzled?

Hypothetical.
A friend of mine was walking through his neighborhood in the Villages and as he walked past a neighbor walking his dog, the dog lunged at him and bit him. Not severely, but the shock that it could have been serious, scared him as well as the dog's owner.

Question:
Should ALL dogs be muzzled when they are not on their own property?
What distance should one pass a leashed dog in the street for their safety?
If the dog has been vaccinated for rabies, can he still carry the virus?

Even though only one of many dogs in the Villages is guilty of biting a passing stranger, should ALL dogs then be muzzled to protect other folks, just in case? Or should you maintain a "social distance" from walking dogs to protect yourself? If the dog is on a leash that is only six foot long and under control of the owner, is it the owner's responsibility to put a muzzle on the dog IF you decide to approach or is it your responsibility to maintain a safe distance to protect yourself? What if the owner tells you that his dog has never ever bitten or attempted to bite anyone, ever? Do you still approach that dog IF you are worried about being bitten?

So, would you muzzle all the dogs in America, if one dog that had rabies bit someone and they died? If so, even after hearing that most dogs were vaccinated?

Does this argument sound familiar?
Hint: This has nothing to do with animals.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Cutting to the chase: yes, you need to continue wearing the mask until those around you are vaccinated and safe from what you or others may unknowingly be carrying.

(If it is desperately needed I can play along with your analogy but this is just quicker.)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-08-2021, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Cutting to the chase: yes, you need to continue wearing the mask until those around you are vaccinated and safe from what you or others may unknowingly be carrying.

(If it is desperately needed I can play along with your analogy but this is just quicker.)
Ah, but also going along with your playing along with my analogy, if everyone is vaccinated, and only have a 90% efficacy, then everyone could still be vulnerable by those that may be carrying the virus that have been vaccinated. Your hypothetical suggests that "others may unknowingly be carrying" even though they are protected.

My suggestion is that it is not one person's responsibility to protect you. It is your responsibility to protect yourself. Otherwise, you are handicapped and reliant on others for your well being.
My question remains, is everyone supposed to be punished/penalized for the faults of one? I know my answer, but others do not seem to see the fallacy of expecting others to be "my brother's keeper."
Old 02-08-2021, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

No, some dogs don’t deserve to be muzzled but... no leashes longer than 6 feet should be allowed if walking off your property. A long leash is useless - equivalent to no leash at all. You can’t control any dog with a retractable leash, I know I’ve had them and the dogs too. Then a walker can keep 6ft from the dog and be pretty safe. Other than that be prepared for any dog to get startled and attack.

(Sorry for not going along with the analogy. But all people who can should wear masks N95 ones, if we had done it in March there would have been no lockdowns, the economy would be booming, we would still have president Trump. We would be free in our country at least everywhere, maybe not international travel. One month folks, it’s all it takes, and that would mean wearing a mask everywhere and by everyone pretty well. But the “ma rights” people prefer the ravages of Covid.)

Last edited by Velvet; 02-08-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Ah, but also going along with your playing along with my analogy, if everyone is vaccinated, and only have a 90% efficacy, then everyone could still be vulnerable by those that may be carrying the virus that have been vaccinated. Your hypothetical suggests that "others may unknowingly be carrying" even though they are protected.

My suggestion is that it is not one person's responsibility to protect you. It is your responsibility to protect yourself. Otherwise, you are handicapped and reliant on others for your well being.
My question remains, is everyone supposed to be punished/penalized for the faults of one? I know my answer, but others do not seem to see the fallacy of expecting others to be "my brother's keeper."
A 90% or better chance that you are not carrying it added to the 90% chance that it will not adversely affect me is good enough for me. Take either of those away and additional measures are necessary.

"Not one's responsibility to protect you." I believe that argument has been tried with both HIV and measles with poor outcomes.

"Faults of one." It is hard to call it someone's fault for catching an invisible virus that they were unwittingly exposed to. If someone is a carrier of a disease, and right now everyone is a potential carrier, then society asks (and sometimes demands) that the carrier take precautions to protect the vulnerable that they come into contact with, and right now nearly everyone is vulnerable.

All this can change when two milestones are met: 1. everyone who desires to be vaccinated is vaccinated; and, 2. new infections drop to near zero. The first milestone is the 90/90 point and it is safe to assume both that you won't be exposed and that you won't die if you are. The second milestone is simply an indication that the 90/90 point has been attained.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Yet another mask thread
Old 02-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hypothetical.
A friend of mine was walking through his neighborhood in the Villages and as he walked past a neighbor walking his dog, the dog lunged at him and bit him. Not severely, but the shock that it could have been serious, scared him as well as the dog's owner.

Question:
Should ALL dogs be muzzled when they are not on their own property?
What distance should one pass a leashed dog in the street for their safety?
If the dog has been vaccinated for rabies, can he still carry the virus?

Even though only one of many dogs in the Villages is guilty of biting a passing stranger, should ALL dogs then be muzzled to protect other folks, just in case? Or should you maintain a "social distance" from walking dogs to protect yourself? If the dog is on a leash that is only six foot long and under control of the owner, is it the owner's responsibility to put a muzzle on the dog IF you decide to approach or is it your responsibility to maintain a safe distance to protect yourself? What if the owner tells you that his dog has never ever bitten or attempted to bite anyone, ever? Do you still approach that dog IF you are worried about being bitten?

So, would you muzzle all the dogs in America, if one dog that had rabies bit someone and they died? If so, even after hearing that most dogs were vaccinated?

Does this argument sound familiar?
Reality-Hypothetical? Perhaps, you need to look up the word.

As to this case like it or not you should report the incident. A dog will not just attack with no provocation, with no warning unless it is ill or????? It is possible but not likely this is the first time for this particular dog.

Experience, my sister got a rescue dog. The dog as you report would attack unprovoked with no warning. Her vet told her she should have the dog put down and that is what she did. Not easy but if the tale is as you report that dog needs to be put down.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
reality-hypothetical? Perhaps, you need to look up the word.

As to this case like it or not you should report the incident. A dog will not just attack with no provocation, with no warning unless it is ill or????? It is possible but not likely this is the first time for this particular dog.

Experience, my sister got a rescue dog. The dog as you report would attack unprovoked with no warning. Her vet told her she should have the dog put down and that is what she did. Not easy but if the tale is as you report that dog needs to be put down.
knock knock IT'S (YET ANOTHER) MASK THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte1 View Post
hypothetical.

-clip-

does this argument sound familiar?
Old 02-08-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post

So, for those that decide against getting the vaccine, the rest need to continue to wear a mask ?
Old 02-08-2021, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
So, for those that decide against getting the vaccine, the rest need to continue to wear a mask ?
Not if I were king.

Right now the demand far exceeds the supply. Right now we need to protect those who want the vaccine but cannot get it.

Once everyone who desires a vaccination can get a vaccination then I feel that changes. Society can't be held hostage by the few anti-vax or covid-deniers who refuse to join the mainstream. Society should protect those who would like to be vaccinated but cannot but society doesn't have to protect those who could be vaccinated but choose not to. They made a choice and they will live (or not) with that choice.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-08-2021, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
No, some dogs don’t deserve to be muzzled but... no leashes longer than 6 feet should be allowed if walking off your property. A long leash is useless - equivalent to no leash at all. You can’t control any dog with a retractable leash, I know I’ve had them and the dogs too. Then a walker can keep 6ft from the dog and be pretty safe. Other than that be prepared for any dog to get startled and attack.

(Sorry for not going along with the analogy. But all people who can should wear masks N95 ones, if we had done it in March there would have been no lockdowns, the economy would be booming, we would still have president Trump. We would be free in our country at least everywhere, maybe not international travel. One month folks, it’s all it takes, and that would mean wearing a mask everywhere and by everyone pretty well. But the “ma rights” people prefer the ravages of Covid.)
IMO It’s not reel leash, it the owner. The reel leash has lock on it. anytime anybody within 20 feet the leash should be locked at 3 feet. Anybody walking needs to avoid dogs period, owners walking dogs needs to avoid people period. I gladly move away from dogs, people, golf carts, bicycle riders when out walking.

IMO You mask opinion is just that opinion. After last February you could not get N95 masks. They were reserved mainly for first responders and health care workers. They was and never been 330 million plus N95 masks available.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Short answer: no

Why? Because there have been "dogs" that bite for thousands of years and they aren't even self aware. Every biting dog needs to be taking as a single case. Perhaps they should have muzzled all peking dogs.

When you have to tell people the story isn't about "dogs" the assumption is most non-dogs are ignorant. Wouldn't that be a sign of arrogance? Perhaps arrogant people should be muzzled.....
Old 02-08-2021, 06:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Disagree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

IMO You mask opinion is just that opinion. After last February you could not get N95 masks. They were reserved mainly for first responders and health care workers. They was and never been 330 million plus N95 masks available.
Sounds like someone who'd want everyone to wear a prophylatic just so females don't accidentally pregnant, or woman a chastity belt. The mask and all other precautions will not stop the people from getting the virus and is mostly used to make people feel "safer". Ask yourself if there is anything you bring into your home that you know inside and out has been infected.....you can not....not 100%.

It's a chance we all take just being alive.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Perhaps the "hypotheticals" (which are actually metaphors and not hypotheticals) and the "<wink><wink> you know what I really mean" subliminal messages rather than saying what one means is the issue.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Sounds like someone who'd want everyone to wear a prophylatic just so females don't accidentally pregnant, or woman a chastity belt. The mask and all other precautions will not stop the people from getting the virus and is mostly used to make people feel "safer". Ask yourself if there is anything you bring into your home that you know inside and out has been infected.....you can not....not 100%.

It's a chance we all take just being alive.
IMO the world over populated, it there anything that should be free it’s prophylactic’s.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, dogs, distance, muzzled, protect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.