Should Stores Require Masks?

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts
Default Should Stores Require Masks?

I was in Barnes and Noble today, and they have a sign on the front door that says masks are "required". I think that is the first sign I has seen like that, which I thought was a good idea. But, there were several people in the store not wearing masks and I didn't see any of them being asked to leave. I don't understand the management's thinking on this. It would be very easy to have someone walk around and enforce their rule. Otherwise, why not just have a sign that says masks are "requested" like many other stores? They are just making people who follow the rule feel cheated.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

They try to keep their patrons safe but you can't fix stupid and they have no desire to get into arguments or maybe a legal confrontation.......just avoid those that won't play nice.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-02-2020, 12:25 PM

Yes. Stores should require masks because it's polite. Believe or not beleive it's up to you but the social attitude is that masks are safer than not. So with all considered... yes. If someone isn't switched on enough to understand all of our present situation, our present reality, they should have the decency to not enter the store. This is a politeness issue. It's an awareness issue. It's a civilized social issue. It's not about your beliefs one way or another, it's about polite society, civilized society.

I like to drive fast and reckless but I don't because it's not polite, it stresses my fellow driver on the highway. It's uncivilized to harm my neighbor.

Last edited by WhiteToast; 07-02-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I was in Barnes and Noble today, and they have a sign on the front door that says masks are "required". I think that is the first sign I has seen like that, which I thought was a good idea. But, there were several people in the store not wearing masks and I didn't see any of them being asked to leave. I don't understand the management's thinking on this. It would be very easy to have someone walk around and enforce their rule. Otherwise, why not just have a sign that says masks are "requested" like many other stores? They are just making people who follow the rule feel cheated.
Considering the reports of physical violence, and even at least one death, to an employee trying to enforce the mask requirement for a store, I think the answer is not so easy as you think.

The politicizing of masks is a part of what is causing us to have more than 25% of the world’s cases and 25% of the world’s deaths, while being only 4.5 % of the world’s population.

But too many people choose to stay dysinformed. Anti-maskers have had their emotions heightened into some kind of bizarre fervor that, ironically, could result in the death knell to the economy they claim to care so much about.

I started a thread this morning with a science based article that says masks could protect the wearer and gives details on the protection value of various types of masks.

By the way, Meta Minton was interviewed on NPR earlier this week. In addition to being asked about the infamous parade in TV that was viewed by millions, she also was asked to comment on how Villagers are handling the virus. A Google of her name and NPR will take you to the interview.

I was really hoping the canaries who are out there in the coal mine would do fine, but it does not look promising.

What is the big deal about putting on a mask? Can’t hurt. Could help. But I think we are in a big, ugly mess with no end in sight.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Yes masks should be required.
The weak spined politicians need to step up and make the call....popular or not.
And just like some of the salons and most of the medical service providers signs say....no mask...no service.
And flat out deny entrance to those who try to enter.
If it works for them it will work for the others.

ENFORCEMENT!!!

Let us not be bullied by those who do not care whether they are spreading the virus or not.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Yes masks should be required.
The weak spined politicians need to step up and make the call....popular or not.
And just like some of the salons and most of the medical service providers signs say....no mask...no service.
And flat out deny entrance to those who try to enter.
If it works for them it will work for the others.

ENFORCEMENT!!!

Let us not be bullied by those who do not care whether they are spreading the virus or not.
It's really quite simple.....I agree with all you said.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:35 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

If masks were required and enforced, I believe more people would be going out to stores. I know I would.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:03 PM
John41

Yes, stores should require masks and social distancing. All the hard work our doctors, nurses, hospital workers and EMTs did to flatten the curve is being frittered away by those selfish individuals who do nothing to help. And polls show only about one third of people would get a covid19 vaccination despite all the efforts researcher are putting into its development. Unfortunately, there seems to be an anti science streak growing in this country.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Take a look when you are in a store that requires a mask. Either wearing below their nose, by their chin, and those who have them under their chin.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Private places can set their own requirements. Mask phobic people can go somewhere else, except people who actually have physical difficulty wearing one.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Take a look when you are in a store that requires a mask. Either wearing below their nose, by their chin, and those who have them under their chin.
That is just too funny, like wearing your pants around your ankles... doesn’t count.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 PM
Veteran member

At Joann’s fabric everyone was wearing one. Maybe because they were all proud of their handiwork. There were some really nice masks there.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, masks should be required. Remember the sign no shoes, no shirt, no service?
Old 07-03-2020, 04:55 AM

Did you ask to speak with the manager? Then ask why people without masks were permitted to enter when signage said masks were required?
Old 07-03-2020, 05:22 AM

It’s called being “entitled” they are entitled to infect you. It’s there right. They want to economy open but don’t want to help keep it open. I’m back in my home ordering from amazon....,. So feel free to infect whom ever.....
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, sign, stores, people, rule

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.