The Social Dilemma on Netflix

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-15-2020, 05:00 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,975
Thanks: 96
Thanked 905 Times in 361 Posts
Default The Social Dilemma on Netflix

To those who use social media often, i.e., Facebook, Google, etc. especially those who believe they are not being influenced by whatever platform they use, may I suggest the new documentary on Netflix, titled The Social Dilemma.

It is chilling, and reinforces the fear I have expressed on this site many times. People who work, or did work in the industry reflect on a number of things.

How you are manipulated, and you swear it is impossible. They show vignettes on how one action you make will define what you will see, no matter what you say or do.

Near the end of the documentary, each is asked what the future holds if we do not wake up soon, and the one that got to me was this......after hesitation thecanswer was...."in the short term, civil war"

This was written about the doc....

"Never before in history have 50 designers made decisions that would have an impact on two billion people,” says Tristan Harris, a former design ethicist at Google. Anna Lembke, an addiction expert at Stanford University, explains that these companies exploit the brain’s evolutionary need for interpersonal connection. And Roger McNamee, an early investor in Facebook, delivers a chilling allegation: Russia didn’t hack Facebook; it simply used the platform."


‘The Social Dilemma’ Review: Unplug and Run - The New York Times

Chilling but should be required watching for every person on the planet. If you feel this is much ado about nothing, or overblown, I say...you are wrong.

Please watch as the credits roll and those participating give suggestions.
  #2  
Old 09-15-2020, 06:10 PM
davem4616 davem4616 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Auburn, MA / Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,402
Thanks: 234
Thanked 2,351 Times in 714 Posts
Default

some would say that we are already in a civil war....

sometimes ya gotta name it to claim it
  #3  
Old 09-15-2020, 09:16 PM
John41 John41 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 760 Times in 181 Posts
Default

The documentary might be manipulating me as well, but does sound interesting. I am skeptical of anything from the media and have to verify.
  #4  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:42 AM
cgilcreast cgilcreast is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 213
Thanks: 1
Thanked 154 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Too bad because a large percentage of us get the majority of our news from these sites. Easy to spread anything that fits your agenda and if it is done artfully it will go "viral".
  #5  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:06 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,975
Thanks: 96
Thanked 905 Times in 361 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
The documentary might be manipulating me as well, but does sound interesting. I am skeptical of anything from the media and have to verify.
May I ask how you keep track of whatever is happening in the country, world, or anything ?
  #6  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:10 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,975
Thanks: 96
Thanked 905 Times in 361 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
Too bad because a large percentage of us get the majority of our news from these sites. Easy to spread anything that fits your agenda and if it is done artfully it will go "viral".
The vignettes to educate us on how shows clearly that almost every keystroke tells them something. What we think is simply so innocent is not to them. "THEM" relates to those wishing to use your information to make money, but can be used to insure whatever message they want to deliver is done to insure YOU feel as if you are in control.

One of the "hints" given at the end was NEVER click on a recommended video on YOUTUBE.
  #7  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:51 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,975
Thanks: 96
Thanked 905 Times in 361 Posts
Default

Headlines today feature a group called Turning Point USA paying teens (secretly) many under age to flood social media with disinformation.

No link trying to stay in guidelines, but Washington Post has a feature as well as Business Insider
  #8  
Old 09-16-2020, 08:29 AM
John41 John41 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 760 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
May I ask how you keep track of whatever is happening in the country, world, or anything ?
I check several sources on TV and print and focus just on the facts in the reporting not the emotion. Then I wait until enough facts are uncovered to form a conclusion.
  #9  
Old 09-16-2020, 08:39 AM
Dana1963 Dana1963 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 334
Thanks: 930
Thanked 339 Times in 153 Posts
Default

It has been documented that the older a person gets they are more likely to believe conspiracy theories and pass them on with out checking. It’s like repeating a lie long enough you will actually believe it yourself.
Facebook in EVIL!
  #10  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,975
Thanks: 96
Thanked 905 Times in 361 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
Too bad because a large percentage of us get the majority of our news from these sites. Easy to spread anything that fits your agenda and if it is done artfully it will go "viral".
I certainly hope that "large percentage" is an overstatement.

We have been advised for years about this, thus not sure I understand visiting these sites to allow someone to control.....well, what you think.

And before you disbelieve, these algorithms can and do exert very strong impact on what you think.

This is an interesting read...

'If Then' Author Jill Lepore Traces The Genesis Of Data-Driven Politics : NPR

And this....imagine how many people don't get the truth on something like a pandemic...

YouTube Has More Misleading Coronavirus Videos Than We Thought | Digital Trends
  #11  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:13 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,975
Thanks: 96
Thanked 905 Times in 361 Posts
Default

An update on my post number 2.....

“Twitter and Facebook have shut down accounts on their platforms reportedly linked to a misleading social media campaign run by Turning Point Action, an offshoot of popular conservative youth activist organization Turning Point USA.”

Twitter and Facebook shut down accounts linked to Turning Point Action' misleading social media campaign - CNNPolitics
  #12  
Old 09-16-2020, 08:32 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 2,175
Thanks: 855
Thanked 1,825 Times in 584 Posts
Default

This is a political thread hidden under the cloak of Netflix
  #13  
Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41,728
Thanks: 2,018
Thanked 540 Times in 379 Posts
Default

Just develop your critical thinking skills and go down the list that search engines provide you.

I have found that many Villagers seem to have some grounding in science, mathematics, engineering or some related field.

25 Of The Best Resources For Teaching Critical Thinking

Public Library of Critical Thinking Resources
  #14  
Old 09-16-2020, 08:59 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,373
Thanks: 2,265
Thanked 2,722 Times in 832 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
I check several sources on TV and print and focus just on the facts in the reporting not the emotion. Then I wait until enough facts are uncovered to form a conclusion.
So if Fox says "36% of all widgets are blue" and NBC says "28% of all widgets are blue, while 8% are turquoise" and ABC says "10% of all widgets are blue-green, while 26% are blue," and CBS says "It doesn't matter how many widgets are blue, because it's the yellow ones that are killing 85% of the population that gets exposed to them"...

How do you know what, exactly, you're supposed to conclude, and how do you know which ones are facts, and how do you know which facts even matter?
  #15  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:07 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,373
Thanks: 2,265
Thanked 2,722 Times in 832 Posts
Default

The media itself (Facebook and twitter) I don't feel have nefarious purposes in any of this. There's no conspiracy backed by Facebook to twist the minds of its members. However, their system works such that we are provided with content that we choose to prefer. So if I like reading things about puppies, the system will provide me with more puppy content to enjoy. If I prefer reading things that are pro-blue, I will be presented with more pro-blue things to read. And within that group of pro-blue things, will be anti-red things. Because pro-blue is not happy with red. They don't get along, the system knows this because the system exists to keep track of that kind of thing.

It's not any person in Facebook that says "hey let's make these people hate each other!" But rather, it's people hating each other, being provided with more ammunition to continue their hatred, because it's simply what floats their boat and the system has no emotional investment in either of them being right or wrong. It knows only that Joe likes Red and doesn't like Blue, and Sue likes Blue and doesn't like Red. It gives them what they want. That is its function.

If you don't want to be influenced by any one or other thing, then don't focus your interest on any one or other thing when you visit these media sites. If you want to very specifically avoid any one or other thing, it's very easy to do, on all of those media sites. You can put up an adblocker, AND on Facebook there's a thing called FBP, which stands for Facebook Purity. It's a very sophisticated totally independent filtering add-on, it's free, it's supported and updated regularly, and it does a great job.

The only political stuff I ever see on Facebook, is political stuff I WANT to see. And I can shut -that- stuff off with a click of the mouse, any time.
Reply

Tags
chilling, social, work, documentary, facebook

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.