The Social Dilemma on Netflix

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2020, 01:43 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I agree with OBB as well. As the OP I am not sure why you feel attacking me without watching the documentary, or reading my posts is the thing to do, but

Oh, and by the way...I was a long time Facebook user but deleted my account based on many things. Still maintain my contacts, but safer.
Your detractors are very naive thinking they have “tools” to control their privacy. Those “tools” are mere paper swords to hackers that can break into secure corporate data systems as has been shown many times. The hackers mine the data in Facebook and sell it to the highest bidder. Their Facebook information posts and pictures are likely sitting on a server in China.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

And again, you dodge the point by ignoring it or claiming personal attack. For the record, I argued with your sources, not you personally. I will state again, it's not illegal and both sides do it. Castigating one side is tantamount to approval of the other.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

Having worked in IT and specifically website design all I can say is that people have no idea how easy it is to put up misleading and misinformation on platforms like Facebook and make it look like it comes from a legitimate site. They put up a page with puppies or kids and accumulate many likes and shares and then change the content for criminal purposes down the road when they have a viral page. The cute little quizzes are to gain personal information about you. The political memes are spread by bots. Facebook was not created to be nefarious but criminals quickly learned how to exploit it.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
It is very chilling, and note in the documentary how unaware people are that they are being used.

Folks think that it is clear cut when you are being steered and/or controlled but it never is. Every keystroke means something in the algorythm and whether you admit it or not, you get locked in and will see only what "they" want you to see (and again, "they" refers to anyone with the knowledge or desire).

I was struck by professionals who wrote the programs, who administer the programs, who know of what they speak explains as best can be done in English, how it works. Seamless and unidentifiable.

Those who condemn the mainstream media, yet post YouTube videos or that kind of stuff simply astound me with naivety. I am able, albeit not as easily as I could, to find accurate news with facts that are simple to validate.
I mostly post youtube videos of music, to remind people of what's truly important in the world.

"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast, To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak." -Wm Congreve, late 1600's
Old 09-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I mostly post youtube videos of music, to remind people of what's truly important in the world.

"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast, To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak." -Wm Congreve, late 1600's
I agree with this. I use YouTube for music as well.

The defiance of supposed intelligent people to simply refuse to accept un refuted evidence by both sides of the aisle. It smacks of " I do not want to know the truth" and " I only want to hear what I want to hear"
Old 09-17-2020, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Having worked in IT and specifically website design all I can say is that people have no idea how easy it is to put up misleading and misinformation on platforms like Facebook and make it look like it comes from a legitimate site. They put up a page with puppies or kids and accumulate many likes and shares and then change the content for criminal purposes down the road when they have a viral page. The cute little quizzes are to gain personal information about you. The political memes are spread by bots. Facebook was not created to be nefarious but criminals quickly learned how to exploit it.
And to be very clear.

Neither I, nor anyone, has called Facebook nefarious, but spoke to how existing platforms are used for nefarious reasons.

Not sure I understand the smart Alec remarks being doled out on here. Facts are facts. Why some take personal offense might mean they are being taken in..who knows.

It is called defending the indefensible and defending what does not need to be defended.

Also, maybe simply changing the subject.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

No political posts?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage

Another positive move from Facebook.

------------
"Facebook on Thursday announced new policies that will limit the spread of groups on its social network that focus on giving users health advice, as well as groups with ties to violence.

The company will no longer show health groups in its recommendations, saying a blog post that “it’s crucial that people get their health information from authoritative sources.” In the past, closed groups have been used by Facebook users to spread misinformation about vaccines and Covid-19. "

Facebook cracking down on groups that give health advice
Old 09-18-2020, 07:31 AM
Sage

Now YouTube might be wakening....

----------
"YouTube's video recommendation system has been repeatedly accused by critics of sending people down rabbit holes of disinformation and extremism. Now Mozilla, the nonprofit that makes the Firefox web browser, wants YouTube's users to help it research how the platform's controversial algorithms work.

Mozilla on Thursday announced a project that asks people to download a software tool that gives Mozilla's researchers information on what video recommendations people are receiving on the Google-owned service. "

YouTube's recommendation system is criticized as harmful. Mozilla wants to research it - CNET
Old 09-18-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Now YouTube might be wakening....

----------
"YouTube's video recommendation system has been repeatedly accused by critics of sending people down rabbit holes of disinformation and extremism. Now Mozilla, the nonprofit that makes the Firefox web browser, wants YouTube's users to help it research how the platform's controversial algorithms work.

Mozilla on Thursday announced a project that asks people to download a software tool that gives Mozilla's researchers information on what video recommendations people are receiving on the Google-owned service. "

YouTube's recommendation system is criticized as harmful. Mozilla wants to research it - CNET
Mozilla is one of the world's greatest resources for the technical aspects of accessing the WWW via browsers. I have the SeaMonkey suite on my desktop. They track my movements when I use it for the same reason. Normally they don't do that but I voluntarily participate in their beta testing and bug fixing process.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
I agree with OBB as well. As the OP I am not sure why you feel attacking me without watching the documentary, or reading my posts is the thing to do, but....

I made it clear that NO particular site is doing anything, but that their platform is being used. That platform was set up to make money, nothing else.

I made it clear that it covers all social media, not just the one you speak of.

I did not refer to, but call now to your attention, that both the House and the senate agree and understand the risk.

I never said there were no virtues in your favorite platform.

Just wish folks would read and try to understand, but that may be asking too much.

And despite the "panning" of me, I still maintain that the doc is a good one, and still maintain that we are extremely naive concerning privacy and control on this medium. My point of view is shared by those who actually set it up and who know.

Oh, and by the way...I was a long time Facebook user but deleted my account based on many things. Still maintain my contacts, but safer.
thank you for sharing & speaking your own mind-it's a rare thing these days. whether we agree or not, it's the free & open discussion that leads to ideas & peaceful solutions.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

We can look back 75 years to Orson Wells infamous “War of the Worlds” Radio Broadcast to see how easy it is to manipulate the American public. Today it is infinitely easier since people believe anything they see online.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
And I have never heard of a group, so called based on moral and religious themes, get PAID, not to post on behalf of anyone, but to purposely spread Lies and disinformation to purposely lie to the American people.

Show me where it's done anywhere like that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...49c_story.html

Let me know if I hit on a link that you won't call fake.....it is news and it is all over legitimate news.
Perhaps you forgot this from the Wall Street Journal: Bloomberg Bankrolls a Social-Media Army to Push Message ...

Or this from Reuters: Paid social media influencers dip toes in U.S. 2020 election ...

The url's are not showing up in my post here but you can search them.

Again, I AGREE with you on the dangers of social media. I am simply pointing out that the pay for posting is not one sided.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Perhaps you forgot this from the Wall Street Journal: Bloomberg Bankrolls a Social-Media Army to Push Message ...

Or this from Reuters: Paid social media influencers dip toes in U.S. 2020 election ...

The url's are not showing up in my post here but you can search them.

Again, I AGREE with you on the dangers of social media. I am simply pointing out that the pay for posting is not one sided.
SECRETLY And DISINFORMATION ie., wrong information and lies.on purpose
From a group founded on moral conduct ?

Oh yes, all use social media but denying that you are being influence and steered is foolhardy

Last edited by Bucco; 09-18-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
thank you for sharing & speaking your own mind-it's a rare thing these days. whether we agree or not, it's the free & open discussion that leads to ideas & peaceful solutions.
Yep, I am used to being disagreed with as long as it is based on facts and truths. We seem to have lost the art of discussing issues and simply lobbing personal bombs.

I love good debate, defined as factual, on issue and with respect for the one I disagree with.

I engage on line a bit with folks, since my living was working for a party nationally, and I understand what respect is. Some posters, here and otherwise, have no idea of what they are talking about and simply mouth what someone tells them to say.

My problem with social media, well one of them, is that they feed these lazy people with one track minds with crazy stuff, and frankly those folks do not even care about the country.....it is all about.....I gotta be a winner....not the country needs to win.

History has shown how that ends up and I take pride in speaking my mind because I have served this country in a number of ways, and love it, but detest that we are rapidly becoming the laughing stock of the world.

I get in trouble by speaking my mind a lot, but how these folks can look at us and straight out lie and know it, is not something my parents ever taught me or would allow, and my wonder is those in my country who are allowing it to go on.

What is telling is that my comments here...straightforward, patriotic, honest will garner many complaints
Closed Thread

Tags
chilling, social, work, documentary, facebook

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.