Sumter Commission incumbents rake in more than $180,000 in contributions

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2020, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
What happens to the $ 60,000 or more if it is not spent on their campaign?
Good question?
Old 06-25-2020, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What a weird thread. I am very glad to see contributions to the incumbents. They have MY vote and the vote of most Villagers I would think. This is a well run place and many of us hope it stays like that.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Why are all posters showing up as "Guest"? Is the political forum back?
Old 06-25-2020, 10:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
What a weird thread. I am very glad to see contributions to the incumbents. They have MY vote and the vote of most Villagers I would think. This is a well run place and many of us hope it stays like that.
Why is my name guest? I am graciegirl.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

///

Last edited by CWGUY; 06-26-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Just out of curiosity, I checked on who was paying for the large “Sheriff Farmer trusts … “ ads running in The Villages Daily Sun that say “Sponsored by Good Government for Florida, Inc. ” On 6/19/20, Good Government for Florida received a contribution of $33,000.00 from the HOLDING COMPANY OF THE VILLAGE 1020 LAKE SUMTER LANDING.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:09 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
So, the above thread title was cut and pasted from the news source that can not be mentioned on TOV. Apparently the three incumbents that are up for a contested re-election each received about $60,000 in contributions from an assortment of friends of the developers.

This clearly smells like payback for their votes to approve the 25% Sumter county property tax increase they all voted in favor of. This property tax clearly shifted the impact fee burden of new development from the developers to the existing homeowners of Sumter county.

Although I find this very disturbing and ethically questionable, I am not surprised by the news.

Furthermore, the three challengers of the incumbents have stated that they will not accept corporate contributions so that they will not have a conflict of interest and pledge to represent the taxpayers of Sumter county.

I know who I will be voting for.
We sent the challengers a donation and we hope they replace the developer’s puppets. Still waiting for Morse Blvd between Stillwater and O’Dell to be repaired while the developer gets new roads first.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:20 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I just did it, I changed parties just for this primary, they want to be sneaky, hopefully we can beat them at their own game.
Thank you for changing parties for this primary. If the puppets win there will be years of tax increases ahead.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
So, the above thread title was cut and pasted from the news source that can not be mentioned on TOV. Apparently the three incumbents that are up for a contested re-election each received about $60,000 in contributions from an assortment of friends of the developers.

This clearly smells like payback for their votes to approve the 25% Sumter county property tax increase they all voted in favor of. This property tax clearly shifted the impact fee burden of new development from the developers to the existing homeowners of Sumter county.

Although I find this very disturbing and ethically questionable, I am not surprised by the news.

Furthermore, the three challengers of the incumbents have stated that they will not accept corporate contributions so that they will not have a conflict of interest and pledge to represent the taxpayers of Sumter county.

I know who I will be voting for.
Nothing illegal or immoral about supporting people that you believe in with a contribution to their reelection fund.

Tags
sumter, contributions, county, incumbents, developers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.