Sumter Commission incumbents rake in more than $180,000 in contributions

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2020, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts
Default Sumter Commission incumbents rake in more than $180,000 in contributions

So, the above thread title was cut and pasted from the news source that can not be mentioned on TOV. Apparently the three incumbents that are up for a contested re-election each received about $60,000 in contributions from an assortment of friends of the developers.

This clearly smells like payback for their votes to approve the 25% Sumter county property tax increase they all voted in favor of. This property tax clearly shifted the impact fee burden of new development from the developers to the existing homeowners of Sumter county.

Although I find this very disturbing and ethically questionable, I am not surprised by the news.

Furthermore, the three challengers of the incumbents have stated that they will not accept corporate contributions so that they will not have a conflict of interest and pledge to represent the taxpayers of Sumter county.

I know who I will be voting for.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:08 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

It is simple. The developer wants to continue to control Sumter county. Remember One Sumter? ONE SUMTER ONE HOT ISSUE - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL

It's a company county now.

A slew of the T & D companies each kicked in big dough, lol.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-23-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:49 AM

It's no longer a democracy when you don't get enough signatures to get on the ballot but can buy your way on for a couple of $1000 . Then all 3 get $60000 each for their campaigns.
About taxes...all that vacant land that brought in very little taxes is now covered with homes paying property taxes. Why a 25% increase for all of us?????
Old 06-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Buying In

Nothing says it is wrong to accept contributions for a campaign. The company I worked for had a firm policy to avoid even the image of being dishonest. This appears to be an attempt to buy the votes and although
that is legal it does have the image of being dishonest or corrupting the election and that should be avoided at all costs?
Old 06-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Am I missing something ? Are campaign contributions still legal . Doesn’t Sumter County still rank close to bottom for taxes in Florida and also booming in every business sector
Old 06-24-2020, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Interesting, we have a lot to learn about how the county is run
Old 06-24-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
So, the above thread title was cut and pasted from the news source that can not be mentioned on TOV. Apparently the three incumbents that are up for a contested re-election each received about $60,000 in contributions from an assortment of friends of the developers.

This clearly smells like payback for their votes to approve the 25% Sumter county property tax increase they all voted in favor of. This property tax clearly shifted the impact fee burden of new development from the developers to the existing homeowners of Sumter county.

Although I find this very disturbing and ethically questionable, I am not surprised by the news.

Furthermore, the three challengers of the incumbents have stated that they will not accept corporate contributions so that they will not have a conflict of interest and pledge to represent the taxpayers of Sumter county.

I know who I will be voting for.
In my opinion, the election of Sumter County commissioners will be determined by the Aug. 18 Primary. This is because the three incumbents and the three challengers are all on the Republican ballot.

Because Florida is a closed primary state, you must be registered as a Republican to receive a a Republican ballot on Primary Day. If you are registered as a Democrat or an Independent, you won't get a Republican ballot and won't be able to cast the vote you desire.

July 20 is the deadline to change your party registration for the Aug. 18 Primary. You can do so here: Florida Voter Registration System Of course, you can change back after the Primary.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
In my opinion, the election of Sumter County commissioners will be determined by the Aug. 18 Primary. This is because the three incumbents and the three challengers are all on the Republican ballot.

Because Florida is a closed primary state, you must be registered as a Republican to receive a a Republican ballot on Primary Day. If you are registered as a Democrat or an Independent, you won't get a Republican ballot and won't be able to cast the vote you desire.

July 20 is the deadline to change your party registration for the Aug. 18 Primary. You can do so here: Florida Voter Registration System Of course, you can change back after the Primary.
This is the important part!!
July 20 is the deadline to change your party registration for the Aug. 18 Primary. You can do so here: Florida Voter Registration System Of course, you can change back after the Primary.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-24-2020, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

I just did it, I changed parties just for this primary, they want to be sneaky, hopefully we can beat them at their own game.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:46 AM

Thank you, just changed from Democrat to Republican.
The problem I have with the property tax increase is the way it was done.
Years ago we had a new hire residing in Florida. He bragged about a law whereby their property values could only increase a maximum of 3% a year.
I assumed (Incorrectly) in following that property taxes would follow and have a maximum 3% increase.
Glad these commissioners brought me up to speed. Now I’m ready to drain the swamp and vote them out of office.
Can’t believe I’m a Republican. Sure hope my friends and family don’t find out about this.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I'm sure it is just pure coincidence that campaign donations occurred to those making the decision after, the burden was placed on us taxpayers...instead of the developer.

It just has to be only a coincidence...right?
Old 06-24-2020, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Well, in this very divided political climate, it appears members of both parties finally agree on something and appear to be working toward a common goal. It appears many people on both sides of the isle do not like their local county commissioners being bought and very much still have a bad tase in their mouths from having a 25% property tax increase jammed down their throats. Vote the three incumbent bums in contested elections out of office!
Old 06-25-2020, 11:52 AM
John41

wife and i will vote to remove the incumbents after they raised taxes to pay for the developers infrastructure.. disgraceful
Old 06-25-2020, 12:09 PM

That's 2 of us!
Old 06-25-2020, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

What happens to the $ 60,000 or more if it is not spent on their campaign?
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, contributions, county, incumbents, developers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.