In support of our police.

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2020, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
While I disagree with you, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion but criminals of all colors cause the same problems for themselves. You can call it an adrenaline rush if you like but it’s still a major cause of what happens during an arrest. No matter what your color, if Fight the officer or you go for a weapon, it’s not going to turn out well
You make my point.

I responded to a post that implied " why is this so hard for some people".......for the same darn reason a police officer shoots someone in the back....he knows he should not, but as all the poster on here like to say..."the adrenaline"

You immediately treat a police officer as human and anyone with black skin as something different.

Again, I will always support police officers, but so many are simply keeping this thing alive to demean other skin color.

I hear almost no specific criticism of police, yet all the ranting and raving goes on.

Police do not need defending, but these threads do allow everyone to malign anyone with black skin.

Race relation between police and black is very complex....man, I know that well....not nearly as simple as those of you who enjoy referencing television shows. Rioting is counter productive as is ignorant accusations.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	118768089_10164273379385515_2817955963695463456_n.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	86149  
Old 09-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
You make my point.

I responded to a post that implied " why is this so hard for some people".......for the same darn reason a police officer shoots someone in the back....he knows he should not, but as all the poster on here like to say..."the adrenaline"

You immediately treat a police officer as human and anyone with black skin as something different.

Again, I will always support police officers, but so many are simply keeping this thing alive to demean other skin color.

I hear almost no specific criticism of police, yet all the ranting and raving goes on.

Police do not need defending, but these threads do allow everyone to malign anyone with black skin.

Race relation between police and black is very complex....man, I know that well....not nearly as simple as those of you who enjoy referencing television shows. Rioting is counter productive as is ignorant accusations.
You are wrong in your assertions.
First - A small fraction of police officers make the wrong decision. They shoot a black person in the back, or kneel on the neck of someone for X minutes and cause his death. I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S DELIBERATE, but it's wrong. It's wrong and should be punished.

I understand that a black person is worried if he's pulled over by a cop. He might not get the same treatment as a white person. He has a harder time in many circumstances than his white counterpart. I do get that. I believe that it's true.

But, because I'm white, I'm SO tired of being told I'm racist because I want black people (actually... race is irrelevant to me... I want ALL people) to follow the law.
I want rioters to stop burning down cities and decimating businesses. I want people to stop throwing fireworks or bottles at police.

It's not one or the other. Police need to crack down on the "bad apples" in their ranks. They need to enact some better tactics when dealing with a hostile situation.

But I can't give black people a pass just like I don't give the police a pass. Rioting and looting isn't acceptable. It should be punished just like a cop that wrongly causes the death of a black person should be punished.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Too bad the focus is on some bad apples, so many good ones.
Sort of like so many people focus on the rioters instead of the peaceful protestors?
Old 09-07-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
But I can't give black people a pass just like I don't give the police a pass. Rioting and looting isn't acceptable.
I generally agree with you and it would not have come to this if the peaceful protests had been effective. Not only did things like peacefully marching in the streets and taking a knee during the anthem not work, they were also condemned right here in TotV and the right-wing propaganda outlets.

Targeting black people by the police is a serious issue and it must be addressed. Wake up everyone! Black citizens are terrified of the police and they fear they might die any time one comes near. Their fear/flight systems overwhelm the rational parts of their brains. Cops need to be more sensitive to this. Unlike black citizens, police get training and if the training isn’t effective they need to find another line of work. We need to quit protecting those cops who show lack of self control and beat the crap out of terrified citizens or shoot an unarmed, fleeing person in the back who isn’t posing an immediate threat to anyone.

If people want the rioting to stop, then start cleaning up the police force and get rid of the racists. That’s all it takes.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I have friends and several relatives who are or have been Policemen. I have sat down with some of them and all of them say the same thing. There are “bad apples” within police departments and the answer is to do a better job of weeding them out during the “vetting process.”. Those are their words. They all agree changes need to be made in the hiring process and also in training. It won’t happen over night but I believe it has already started in some places. Politicians will spin this to suit their constituents both left and right. That’s what they do.
Bad apples? So why don't the "good" police turn in the "bad apples?" Remember the movie "Serpico?" Where have all the heroes gone?

A new police culture must be created. Starting with more than just a hs diploma. Better screening to eliminate rascists. More than a few months of a police academy.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:11 AM

All the response’s I would bet are people on both side Monday morning quarter backing. Unless you are a cop or a black person you can only say what you think While siting home and not in the moment While it is happening. But change takes time and can not be done overnight so the burning and rioting with not help at all.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:26 AM

Someone that shoots somebody in the back is a coward. Someone that shoots somebody in the back while They hold them is an executioner!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:33 AM

Don’t resist arrest! It’s that simple!
Don’t resist arrest
Have your day in court!
Cops have very high stress job - they have to make life (their life) decisions in seconds. Once a cop is murdered, they don’t get a redo!

Only people that need retraining are criminals!
Don’t resist arrest don’t threaten the police!
This racist police nonsense is a hoax!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Such a shame where we are in this country. This has been an increasing problem that somehow started 10 years ago. Now we look like a 3rd world country.

Protest constantly. Don't these people ever work? Where do they get their money? Maybe that is the problem, they don't work and we give them FREE money.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 AM

Suspects resist for many different reasons. There is no need to kill suspects that resist.There is no need to leave a handcuffed naked suspect on the ground covering only his head when the snow is falling. Some cops are just bad that’s all there is to it. The police unions need to step up and help weed them out.

Last edited by Skunky1; 09-07-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
I generally agree with you and it would not have come to this if the peaceful protests had been effective. Not only did things like peacefully marching in the streets and taking a knee during the anthem not work, they were also condemned right here in TotV and the right-wing propaganda outlets.

Targeting black people by the police is a serious issue and it must be addressed. Wake up everyone! Black citizens are terrified of the police and they fear they might die any time one comes near. Their fear/flight systems overwhelm the rational parts of their brains. Cops need to be more sensitive to this. Unlike black citizens, police get training and if the training isn’t effective they need to find another line of work. We need to quit protecting those cops who show lack of self control and beat the crap out of terrified citizens or shoot an unarmed, fleeing person in the back who isn’t posing an immediate threat to anyone.

If people want the rioting to stop, then start cleaning up the police force and get rid of the racists. That’s all it takes.
Because the news media only chooses to cover stories of blacks being shot by police, you might actually believe it happens disproportionately. However if you look at the demographics of violent criminals vs the general population and the demographics of police shootings, you’ll see that it simply isn’t true.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:22 AM

If the police were Doing their job properly there wouldn’t be any protest. Many people had to suffer a great deal in order to use that white only drinking fountain.We need to rid law-enforcement of the judge, jury and executioners!Protests are one of the tools we use to achieve this.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:24 AM
Default In support of our police

Can we support out police and still criticize when they shoot an unarmed man in the back seven times?

There are 18,000 police departments and just under a million cops in the country ... some will make errors of judgement, some will react in fear and do things that are just plain wrong. Are they accountable?

"A true patriot is a lover of country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins." Frederick Douglas
Old 09-07-2020, 07:24 AM

We armed our police for war time after 9/11. We need to provide them with a different weapon. A mentally I'll, naked man runs through the streets. He is spitting, waving his arms and ranting gibberish. The police need units to help them in these situations. Bagging the man's head and kneeling on his neck controls him. But can the police do better. Police need help to handle the mental health crisis in this country.
They are overwhelmed.
Closed Thread

Tags
police, people, shoot, explains, support

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.