In support of our police.

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Too bad the focus is on some bad apples, so many good ones.
True! And look who is doing the focusing. Uneducated, illiterate, unemployed, entitled people. You have a beef with cops? Instead of looting and burning down your own local businesses, how about you go out and take a law enforcement job. Oh wait! Can you pass the “vetting” process?? I highly doubt it
Old 09-07-2020, 07:52 AM

that's a sweeping generalization.... you completely ignore the peaceful protesters who, btw, far outnumber the rabid mob.

Last edited by ruralgoddess; 09-07-2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: hit enter before I completed my thought.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
All the response’s I would bet are people on both side Monday morning quarter backing. Unless you are a cop or a black person you can only say what you think While siting home and not in the moment While it is happening. But change takes time and can not be done overnight so the burning and rioting with not help at all.
Exactly!!!
I see so many of these posts referring to television shows, like that’s how it happens in real life!!! Do you also refer to TV shows, like Greys Anatomy for how your doctors should act & respond?!?!?!
Ridiculous.......
Bottom line, OBEY THE LAWS no matter who you are!!! I bet then you would see less people being killed by officers!!!
Quit acting like you all could do a better job....no one knows what they would do in any situation!!
Officers are there to uphold the laws, if you are breaking them, you alone are choosing to bring forth consequences of those choices!!! I pray for all of law enforcement and for the families of the CRIMINALS who Choose to make poor choices!!!
Old 09-07-2020, 08:00 AM
Default I agree.

[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT

Finally African Americans, mixed races, Hispanics, Asians, LGBT are being recognized as evidenced by TV programs/commercials. From a straight Caucasian Senior Citizen Woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
A few things...
Before I respond to your post. I hear nobody on this forum OR anywhere condemning police in general. YET, you folks lay that on everyone as if the were under attack. I have supported the police with money, time, and actions for over 50 years, and still do...certainly much more than those on here who profess such undying support (I am sure many are sincere)... sort of like supporting vets and enabling those who steal from them.

But to respond directly.....you folks speak of the adreline running in a police officer, yet NEVER mention that same fluid in a black man suddenly in the defense. Doesn't mean they don't deserve a lot of what happens, but you folks don't even think if black people as human, having similar or wise fears.

If I am harsh, I apologize, and sincere apology to those who are sincere, but recent events have proven to me beyond a doubt that this forum is infected with so many false and phoney patriots and police supporters.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I understand that a black person is worried if he's pulled over by a cop. He might not get the same treatment as a white person. He has a harder time in many circumstances than his white counterpart. I do get that. I believe that it's true.
Good! It's important to acknowledge what is true. This really does happen sometimes.

Quote:
But, because I'm white, I'm SO tired of being told I'm racist because I want black people (actually... race is irrelevant to me... I want ALL people) to follow the law.
I want rioters to stop burning down cities and decimating businesses. I want people to stop throwing fireworks or bottles at police.
The wording you choose is unfortunate. By saying "I want black people to follow the law" you are implying a belief that black people don't follow the law. By implying that, you imply that black people - generally speaking - in the majority - as a group - as a whole - do not follow the law.

That is where the problem starts. It starts with the wording. I am assuming you mean otherwise. But that is exactly what your words mean. When you state "I want X to behave like Y" you are implying that it doesn't already.

MOST black people are law abiding - or at the very least - don't get caught. Astoundingly, the exact same thing can be said for MOST white people, MOST brown people, MOST yellow and MOST red people.

The ones you see on the media are the exceptions, not the rule. They make the news because they're more interesting than "random black guy mows his lawn outside his house and nothing happens." Or "random cop stops a random traffic violator without incident."

Other than the unfortunate wording you choose, I agree with the sentiment of your post.

EVERYONE needs to either a) not disobey the law, b) not get caught if they disobey the law, or c) not give sass when they get caught disobeying the law.

That includes police, for whom the law is sometimes subjective and not clear. It should be common sense. No law should need to exist. But perhaps it does. Because even if you're a cop, you don't kill a suspect and then continue keeping your knee on his neck for 3 minutes after he's already dead. It shouldn't NEED to be against the law. But apparently it does.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I have friends and several relatives who are or have been Policemen. I have sat down with some of them and all of them say the same thing. There are “bad apples” within police departments and the answer is to do a better job of weeding them out during the “vetting process.”. Those are their words. They all agree changes need to be made in the hiring process and also in training. It won’t happen over night but I believe it has already started in some places. Politicians will spin this to suit their constituents both left and right. That’s what they do.
I
grew up when police were proud of the fact they never had to draw their gun, now it seems that its the first thing they do, "Sad"
Old 09-07-2020, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydavid View Post
I
grew up when police were proud of the fact they never had to draw their gun, now it seems that its the first thing they do, "Sad"
Everybody is on edge in our country, so I understand that.

The pot is kept stirring, and no help in peace at all.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
I generally agree with you and it would not have come to this if the peaceful protests had been effective. Not only did things like peacefully marching in the streets and taking a knee during the anthem not work, they were also condemned right here in TotV and the right-wing propaganda outlets.

Targeting black people by the police is a serious issue and it must be addressed. Wake up everyone! Black citizens are terrified of the police and they fear they might die any time one comes near. Their fear/flight systems overwhelm the rational parts of their brains. Cops need to be more sensitive to this. Unlike black citizens, police get training and if the training isn’t effective they need to find another line of work. We need to quit protecting those cops who show lack of self control and beat the crap out of terrified citizens or shoot an unarmed, fleeing person in the back who isn’t posing an immediate threat to anyone.

If people want the rioting to stop, then start cleaning up the police force and get rid of the racists. That’s all it takes.
No. It is not because they are terrified of the police. They are terrified of going to jail. Many of the people we see resisting arrest (black OR white) are 3rd timers and are facing serious jail time which is why they are fleeing and resisting arrest.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
You make my point.

I responded to a post that implied " why is this so hard for some people".......for the same darn reason a police officer shoots someone in the back....he knows he should not, but as all the poster on here like to say..."the adrenaline"

You immediately treat a police officer as human and anyone with black skin as something different.

Again, I will always support police officers, but so many are simply keeping this thing alive to demean other skin color.

I hear almost no specific criticism of police, yet all the ranting and raving goes on.

Police do not need defending, but these threads do allow everyone to malign anyone with black skin.

Race relation between police and black is very complex....man, I know that well....not nearly as simple as those of you who enjoy referencing television shows. Rioting is counter productive as is ignorant accusations.
There are many, many reasons for a police officer to shoot a perp in the back. And it appears that every "uninformed" critic in America feels the need to make it worse for them to do their job to PROTECT.
I have a good friend (Deputy) that responded off duty to an armed robbery. The suspect was fleeing from the scene when he arrived first. As he took up the chase, the suspect started shooting at him while running away. He returned fire, shooting him in the back. JUSTIFIED shooting. Did not kill him, though. Too bad. The perp went down. He had been at the shooting range that day, as do many police officers and still had wad cutters in his revolver. Wad cutters are used at the range to better mark the target. At least they used to be used. They punch a nice round hole in the paper target, where a pointed bullet punches through like a pencil and the hole sometimes closes back up, making it hard to see where one shot entered or another. The wad cutter went in the suspects back and hit a rib, following it around to the front. Put him in the hospital, but he was unable to be a threat to anyone else for a while, ten years I think.
If someone is about to shoot you or is threatening you with a gun and the police are behind him, do you want them to ask the bad guy to turn around so he can shoot him, or do you want him to take action immediately? That is a rhetorical question. Personally, if I see a threat to a victim, I plan to take action regardless of what direction the dirtbag is facing.
An officer shot a teenager that was involved in a felony when the suspect reached into his pocket and brought out an object and pointed it at the officer. It was a cell phone. The officer was justified in shooting him. It happened at night and the officer feared that a gun was pointing at him. This stuff happens and then the Monday morning quarterbacks sit there and criticize these great public servants.
I have no sympathy for ANY of these dirtbags with long records of violent behavior. If the officer made a mistake in the heat of the moment, the subject should not have put himself in that situation. I will always give the officer my support if I am on the jury. One less dirtbag, regardless of rehab is one less threat to society. Most of them should not be out on the street anyway. They get way too many "second chances."

Police officers get gunned down when making simple traffic stops. Lets give that job to Social Services.
Police officers get shot or stabbed on domestic calls. Give that to Social Services too.
Police officers might make a bad judgement call and shoot someone that is not a bad guy. Give him rubber bullets so he can't kill anyone.
Police officers should not use choke holds. They have been trained to use them for decades and they are used in the Judo tournaments, but we should outlaw them as they might harm someone.
Police are taught to put a violent and resisting subject on the ground and hold him down while attempting to secure/arrest him. Knees are used, but a person died (of drugs) so they should reason with him or maybe call a Social worker instead of being physical.

Some of us get just a bit impatient with those that are safe in their homes at night, that feel the need to criticize HOW the police perform their duty.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
A few things...
Before I respond to your post. I hear nobody on this forum OR anywhere condemning police in general. YET, you folks lay that on everyone as if the were under attack. I have supported the police with money, time, and actions for over 50 years, and still do...certainly much more than those on here who profess such undying support (I am sure many are sincere)... sort of like supporting vets and enabling those who steal from them.

But to respond directly.....you folks speak of the adreline running in a police officer, yet NEVER mention that same fluid in a black man suddenly in the defense. Doesn't mean they don't deserve a lot of what happens, but you folks don't even think if black people as human, having similar or wise fears.

If I am harsh, I apologize, and sincere apology to those who are sincere, but recent events have proven to me beyond a doubt that this forum is infected with so many false and phoney patriots and police supporters.
Well said. There are far too many people in TV who have blinkered views of race and police issues.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Because the news media only chooses to cover stories of blacks being shot by police, you might actually believe it happens disproportionately. However if you look at the demographics of violent criminals vs the general population and the demographics of police shootings, you’ll see that it simply isn’t true.
Actually it is true - black people are killed disproportionally by police.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
There are many, many reasons for a police officer to shoot a perp in the back. And it appears that every "uninformed" critic in America feels the need to make it worse for them to do their job to PROTECT.
I have a good friend (Deputy) that responded off duty to an armed robbery. The suspect was fleeing from the scene when he arrived first. As he took up the chase, the suspect started shooting at him while running away. He returned fire, shooting him in the back. JUSTIFIED shooting. Did not kill him, though. Too bad. The perp went down. He had been at the shooting range that day, as do many police officers and still had wad cutters in his revolver. Wad cutters are used at the range to better mark the target. At least they used to be used. They punch a nice round hole in the paper target, where a pointed bullet punches through like a pencil and the hole sometimes closes back up, making it hard to see where one shot entered or another. The wad cutter went in the suspects back and hit a rib, following it around to the front. Put him in the hospital, but he was unable to be a threat to anyone else for a while, ten years I think.
If someone is about to shoot you or is threatening you with a gun and the police are behind him, do you want them to ask the bad guy to turn around so he can shoot him, or do you want him to take action immediately? That is a rhetorical question. Personally, if I see a threat to a victim, I plan to take action regardless of what direction the dirtbag is facing.
An officer shot a teenager that was involved in a felony when the suspect reached into his pocket and brought out an object and pointed it at the officer. It was a cell phone. The officer was justified in shooting him. It happened at night and the officer feared that a gun was pointing at him. This stuff happens and then the Monday morning quarterbacks sit there and criticize these great public servants.
I have no sympathy for ANY of these dirtbags with long records of violent behavior. If the officer made a mistake in the heat of the moment, the subject should not have put himself in that situation. I will always give the officer my support if I am on the jury. One less dirtbag, regardless of rehab is one less threat to society. Most of them should not be out on the street anyway. They get way too many "second chances."

Police officers get gunned down when making simple traffic stops. Lets give that job to Social Services.
Police officers get shot or stabbed on domestic calls. Give that to Social Services too.
Police officers might make a bad judgement call and shoot someone that is not a bad guy. Give him rubber bullets so he can't kill anyone.
Police officers should not use choke holds. They have been trained to use them for decades and they are used in the Judo tournaments, but we should outlaw them as they might harm someone.
Police are taught to put a violent and resisting subject on the ground and hold him down while attempting to secure/arrest him. Knees are used, but a person died (of drugs) so they should reason with him or maybe call a Social worker instead of being physical.

Some of us get just a bit impatient with those that are safe in their homes at night, that feel the need to criticize HOW the police perform their duty.
Very well said. People so quick to criticize police and have no idea what their professional lives are like.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
And black crime is much higher than the percentage of blacks in our country.

Lower that and will be less interactions with the police.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
No it’s not true. It appears to be true if you look at total population numbers, but not if you look at those actually committing crimes. For example, black males make up roughly 6% of the US population, yet they commit over 50% of the murders in the US. Twice as many whites are killed by police vs blacks, yet whites do not commit twice as many violent crimes as blacks.
Facts not feelings.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:29 AM
Default Law enforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
The police have. tough job. The mob attacking them from the front and politicians stabbing them in the back.
Prior to moving to The Villages my wife and I lived in Orlando for 25 years. I knew many ‘cops’ ... still do. The number of times they came into contact with those with no license, ID of any sort, insurance & proper registration ... the strong stench of ‘weed’ ... following a proper stop for a moving violation ... would blow your mind. Some of those ended in non-compliance by the offender. Experience demands their training kick in. A TV show that depicted that type of scenario was ‘Live PD’. (now cancelled) America has become conditioned to seeing over and over, snippets of what are labeled as police brutality. Yet we NEVER (or hardly ever) see the minutes that led to the seriousness of the interaction. Are all cops perfect? Of course not. I support our men & women in Blue. My line to every one of them is: “Thank you for being a COP“!
Closed Thread

Tags
police, people, shoot, explains, support

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.