Teach the children well

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default Teach the children well

Teach the children well. Wasn’t that a song released in the late 60’s by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. It seems to me that we went through race riots and calling police pigs at that time. I had thought that those of that generation had learned valuable lessons and were changing things. So, what generation didn’t teach a younger generation these lessons? Was it our kids or another generation of kids? I would hope that the cycle of unrest doesn’t have to be repeated every 50 years or so. Maybe some youngsters just always need to rebel and protest. I hope they can teach their children well and or teach your parents well.

Now let’s think about “It’s getting better all the time” by the Beatles!

Last edited by twoplanekid; 06-09-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I see families at these marches , clergy , police officers , senior citizens perhaps they are all teachings us well . My mother marched in Birmingham, at Selma and spent the freedom summer in Mississippi, she was arrested a few time . She was in her 50’s she didn’t just teach her children well hopefully by her actions she taught many others to respect all people and that means all people of any race or religion
Old 06-09-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I see families at these marches , clergy , police officers , senior citizens perhaps they are all teachings us well . My mother marched in Birmingham, at Selma and spent the freedom summer in Mississippi, she was arrested a few time . She was in her 50’s she didn’t just teach her children well hopefully by her actions she taught many others to respect all people and that means all people of any race or religion
Nothing wrong with protests that are peaceful in fact they are great teachable moments for children.

The problem is too many people used the murder as an excuse to loot and destroy and most getaway with it so next time the same things by the same people.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:10 AM
John41

teaching in public schools is just indoctrination and the results speak for themselves.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
teaching in public schools is just indoctrination and the results speak for themselves.
I used to think this was just another opinion or prejudice......but I am increasingly becoming a believer.......as one looks at the "results" that surround us currently!
Old 06-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I used to think this was just another opinion or prejudice......but I am increasingly becoming a believer.......as one looks at the "results" that surround us currently!
I have the same feelings. The professors in our universities are overwhelming liberal and way to many expect their students to be the same in order to get good grades.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Teach Your Children Well, by Graham Nash

You, who are on the road, must have a code that you can live by
and so become yourselves, because the past is just a goodbye.

Teach your children well; their father's hell did slowly go by
and feed them on your dreams, the one they pick(s), the ones you'll know by

Don't you ever ask them why - if they told you, you would cry
so just look at them and sigh, and know they love you.

And you of tender years can't know the fears that your elders grew by
And so please help them with your youth
they seek the truth before they can die.

Teach your parents well, their childrens' hell will slowly go by
and feed them on your dreams, the one they picks, the one you'll know by

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you you would cry
so just look at them and sigh, and know they love you.

Nash was inspired to write this song as a result of a photograph of a kid with a toy hand grenade, playing in Central Park in Manhattan NY. He felt concerned that his generation and the one before his were teaching the glorification of violence and war.

Basically - it's a war protest song in lullabye form.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

it seems that the peaceful marches that are truly trying to making a statement some how turn into chaos, looting, destruction and riots once they leave and the cover of darkness arrives....how's that happen???

are the peaceful people to blame for the rampart destruction of property that always seems to follow???...because they know not what they enable???
Old 06-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
it seems that the peaceful marches that are truly trying to making a statement some how turn into chaos, looting, destruction and riots once they leave and the cover of darkness arrives....how's that happen???

are the peaceful people to blame for the rampart destruction of property that always seems to follow???...because they know not what they enable???
Absolutely not. The people who show up to create violence are to blame for the violence. If we were to put the blame on peaceful protesting, then we'd have to outlaw peaceful protesting. Basically - you'd have to eliminate the First Amendment.

Protesters typically don't show up with the plan of committing violence against any one or any thing. However, if others show up and attack a protester, the protester might fight back in self-defense. The burden is still borne on the attacker's shoulders.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I have the same feelings. The professors in our universities are overwhelming liberal and way to many expect their students to be the same in order to get good grades.
We need to change the affirmative action laws and mandate ideological diversity vs skin color diversity

Most people are beginning to recognize the need for this ... diversity of thought drives out the bad ideas and ensures a better outcome
Old 06-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Why does peaceful protesting include paint and destruction? Do these people ever work?
Closed Thread

Tags
teach, generation, children, hope, kids

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.