TIPPING when placing an order>>>

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,534 Posts

I neverneverNEVER tip before service is completed. Seems more like a bribe than a reward for excellence. In those places where you pay upfront, or anywhere where I'm paying with a credit card, I merely draw a line through the tip box and tell the service person that the tip is on the table. In cash.

I also tip generously, especially if I plan on returning to that restaurant. Insurance. Good tippers are recognized in a very short time and it assures service above and beyond for subsequent visits. My granddaughter says the size of my tip is in direct proportion to the bust size of the waitress, but what do kids know?

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 12-28-2021 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Correct speling erorr
Old 12-28-2021, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
When we sit at a table and they bring us our order that gets a tip.

Tipping when ordering at a counter and they hand it to us does not get a tip.
Agreed!!! And tipping for carry out? Fuggetaboutit!

It would be great if restaurants would pay a reasonable wage, adjust prices to reflect that, and eliminate tipping entirely. A tip (acronym for To Insure Promptness) is a bribe, and demeaning to both the customer and the server.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post

During Covid, I've been tipping like Ray Liotta in the night club scene in Goodfellas
Goodfellas Night Club Scene - Copacabana - Henry Hill - YouTube
This scene should be posted in the thread about reservations. Maybe Mr. Party of 9 could get his table.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:30 AM
Default No tip for counter employees

Quote:
When we sit at a table and they bring us our order that gets a tip.

Tipping when ordering at a counter and they hand it to us does not get a tip.
I agree. Counter employees get paid more than servers. Different pay scale.

What is the tip percentage at a buffet? Somewhere between a counter employee (0%) and a server (20%+)?
Old 12-28-2021, 10:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Tipping has gotten out of hand. Again where will it end? I travel to the Chinese or pizza to pick up the food myself. Why do I have to tip the person that hands me the food? Delivery absolutely.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Question: Let's say it's a dinner out. Do you base your tip on the pre-tax total or after tax? Basing a tip of the total including tax can make a big difference, either for you or the server.

Rant: Also, did you ever think about how illogical the tipping scheme is? It's based on the cost of the meal. Not on how much effort went into serving it. Suppose I get the filet mignon and tip 20% on a $40 dinner. The guy in the booth behind me gets meatloaf and tips 20% on a $15 meal. My waiter gets $8 tip. The meatloaf server gets $3.00. Same amount of service. Sure, I understand tips are usually pooled and shared, but not always. What's more, the hardest working staffers, the cooks, may not get any of the tip money.

Rant 2: Where will this stop? Tip jars are showing up everywhere. My local Winn-Dixie had tip jars at the check-outs. They weren't there when the minimum wage was lower. What's next: tip the doctor for giving you a correct diagnosis?
That has already happened to me. Went to a doctor, first visit. co pay was 80.00. The doctor himself told me that he only gets (insert figure) from insurance for the visit, and that if I was happy with the service he would welcome receiving over the copay. A medical doctor.
When did tipping for takeout begin? I never recall tipping for a slice of pizza, or chinese take out. Now they give you a screen showing 18%, 20%, 25%. What is the proper tip for takeout?
Old 12-28-2021, 11:06 AM

For a take-out or self-service order I usually enter $1. 15% or 20% is for sit-down service.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:30 AM

Ate at TooJays last night. They are converting their computer system to tablets that the server uses when you pay by credit card. She entered the data and then turned to the tip page. I did not see a place to enter a figure - only a range of pre-selected percentages. I was surprised that the range of percentages started at 18%. Didn't matter to me, but I would guess that someone less fortunate would be upset.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
To Insure Prompt Service (TIPS) and that's exactly what I tip fort
That's an urban legend. English-language acronyms being used as words were not popular prior to WWII, and the word "tips" as in "gratuity" was used at least as early as the 17th century. In addition, during the time it originated, they would have called it TEPS - to Ensure prompt service, not to Insure prompt service. No one is paying a premium for service insurance.

Also, it you were ensuring prompt service, wouldn't you give it to the server before the service, and not after it?

On topic: I never plan on tipping for takeout or curbside service. Sometimes I do tip for curbside, and once in awhile I toss the silver in the tip bucket when I do takeout. My reasons can be arbitrary: maybe I have the tray in one hand and the coins in the other, and just can't open my purse to put the coins away, so I toss them in the tip jar. Maybe the change was just some pennies, and I really don't want them. So they go in the tip jar. Maybe the guy who put my taco together did such a spanking awesome job of it AND gave me constant eye contact and a bright smile, and I was inspired to toss a buck in the tip jar.

Generally though, the only people who I feel "obligated" to tip are table-service servers, and delivery drivers.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

I'm curious. Some people will pay for a restaurant meal with a credit card, but will only use cash for the tip. Are you trying to assist the server and the restaurant in cheating on their taxes, are you trying to hide the tip amount from the server's employer, or is there another reason? Regardless, it seems deceptive.

I always pay cash in a restaurant that will not allow the credit card transaction to be completed in my presence. I never allow my credit card to be taken into another room. But, if I pay with a credit card, I add the tip to the card. It seems like the upfront way to do it.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

Yes, cash tips are so the draconian IRS gets what's theirs and not one cent more. They waste so much of the money they get from us on ridiculous programs and policies. I only need the Federal government to provide the basics, primarily military defense, civil order (police), infrastructure (roads, highways, etc.) and fire protection. I do not need them to supply all of the globe with free cell phones and meals when they illegally cross our border. I don't need them to give my income to other countries under the guise of keeping them reliant upon us.

The IRS already taxes the income, then the use of it (Sales tax) and now they want to take a percentage of some hard working server's pin money? Pfffth.

As for tipping, percentage goes up to 25-30% for me when a server does one of the rare tasks that few perform any longer, like actually boxing my leftovers instead of just brining me an empty box to do it myself.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 12-28-2021, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post

The IRS already taxes the income, then the use of it (Sales tax) and now they want to take a percentage of some hard working server's pin money? Pfffth.

As for tipping, percentage goes up to 25-30% for me when a server does one of the rare tasks that few perform any longer, like actually boxing my leftovers instead of just brining me an empty box to do it myself.
We pay tax on our income why should servers not have to do the same?
Old 12-28-2021, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
We pay tax on our income why should servers not have to do the same?
I agree. But, it's not just the servers who can hide the cash tip income. It reduces the restaurant's gross credit card income, which the banks report to the IRS. The servers are required to pay income taxes, based on 8 percent of the restaurant's overall gross proceeds, and prorated to each server. The servers get a W-2 for that amount.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm curious. Some people will pay for a restaurant meal with a credit card, but will only use cash for the tip. Are you trying to assist the server and the restaurant in cheating on their taxes, are you trying to hide the tip amount from the server's employer, or is there another reason? Regardless, it seems deceptive.

I always pay cash in a restaurant that will not allow the credit card transaction to be completed in my presence. I never allow my credit card to be taken into another room. But, if I pay with a credit card, I add the tip to the card. It seems like the upfront way to do it.
then you must be paying cash for most of your meals , I am not worried where they take my card and I would be losing out on a lot of cash back revenue if I paid in cash . The reason I like to tip in cash is that I over tip and if staff is pooling there tips it gives a person that I’m happy with a few more dollars , what they do with the extra money is there business not mine, and getting back to credit card worry , luckily I’ve never had credit card abused and so what if it is , your not paying for the theft., I can also tell you that being a good tipper can help you get a drink quicker at a crowded bar and a quicker table , also I think the people complaining about the tip jars seem to want the business to ease there guilt or annoyance about the tip jars at the expense of there employees . I have perfect solution for those people JUST SAY No !!!
Old 12-28-2021, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Question: Let's say it's a dinner out. Do you base your tip on the pre-tax total or after tax? Basing a tip of the total including tax can make a big difference, either for you or the server.

Rant: Also, did you ever think about how illogical the tipping scheme is? It's based on the cost of the meal. Not on how much effort went into serving it. Suppose I get the filet mignon and tip 20% on a $40 dinner. The guy in the booth behind me gets meatloaf and tips 20% on a $15 meal. My waiter gets $8 tip. The meatloaf server gets $3.00. Same amount of service. Sure, I understand tips are usually pooled and shared, but not always. What's more, the hardest working staffers, the cooks, may not get any of the tip money.

Rant 2: Where will this stop? Tip jars are showing up everywhere. My local Winn-Dixie had tip jars at the check-outs. They weren't there when the minimum wage was lower. What's next: tip the doctor for giving you a correct diagnosis?
Often the tips are pooled and divided. In some places the owner takes a cut of the total.
Waiters often prefer not to take a large group. Often, people in a large group look at all the money going to the tip and tip less.
Closed Thread

Tags
tip, service, panera, screen, tipping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.