TIPPING when placing an order>>>

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2021, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. But, it's not just the servers who can hide the cash tip income. It reduces the restaurant's gross credit card income, which the banks report to the IRS. The servers are required to pay income taxes, based on 8 percent of the restaurant's overall gross proceeds, and prorated to each server. The servers get a W-2 for that amount.
The days of a CASH business have mostly ended. Those credit cards, most of them, that 2% or so back is paid for in credit card fees to the business. The business of course adds it into the price charged. It is interesting that a business almost must take credit cards and their contract with the credit card companies says they cannot offer a CASH discount.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
The days of a CASH business have mostly ended. Those credit cards, most of them, that 2% or so back is paid for in credit card fees to the business. The business of course adds it into the price charged. It is interesting that a business almost must take credit cards and their contract with the credit card companies says they cannot offer a CASH discount.
That is why, whenever possible, I try to leave a CASH tip... I want the server to get the tip. If they pool it later in the evening, that's not my concern. Not my circus, not my monkeys...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-28-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
I have a question for you, if the total bill includes an $80 bottle of wine, should I include a 20% tip on the wine
I always Tip on the entire bill...Wine and all...assuming the service was good
Old 12-28-2021, 10:16 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Tipping has gotten out of hand. Again where will it end? I travel to the Chinese or pizza to pick up the food myself. Why do I have to tip the person that hands me the food? Delivery absolutely.
I agree but nowadays most places add in tips for drivers.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
I'm curious. Some people will pay for a restaurant meal with a credit card, but will only use cash for the tip. Are you trying to assist the server and the restaurant in cheating on their taxes, are you trying to hide the tip amount from the server's employer, or is there another reason? Regardless, it seems deceptive.

I always pay cash in a restaurant that will not allow the credit card transaction to be completed in my presence. I never allow my credit card to be taken into another room. But, if I pay with a credit card, I add the tip to the card. It seems like the upfront way to do it.
I always leave cash for a tip when I can. To my mind is is a more personal approach, showing the server how much I appreciated his/her service. Much better than the credit card tip.

I understand that in a lot of restaurants the tips go into a common fund which is then doled out, percentage-wise, to all the workers. I've never been one to subscribe to the ethic of "to each according to his need". I've been in restaurants where the food has been average at best but the service, exceptional. When I leave cash, especially a tip larger than the usual percentage, I ALWAYS inform the wait person (and sometimes the manager) of my opinion both of the food and the service.

What they choose to do with the tip I left after I leave is up to them. But they'll at least know why I left it.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Often the tips are pooled and divided. In some places the owner takes a cut of the total.
Waiters often prefer not to take a large group. Often, people in a large group look at all the money going to the tip and tip less.
Note that tip income is the property of the server, not the restaurant owner. The restaurant can require that tips be pooled and shared among other employees who normally receive tips. But, it is illegal for the restaurant owner to take a cut of the tip income. It is also illegal for other non-tipped employees, like cooks and dish washers, to receive a cut of the tip income.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Note that tip income is the property of the server, not the restaurant owner. The restaurant can require that tips be pooled and shared among other employees who normally receive tips. But, it is illegal for the restaurant owner to take a cut of the tip income. It is also illegal for other non-tipped employees, like cooks and dish washers, to receive a cut of the tip income.
Is that Florida or nationally making it illegal for pooling to be offered to cooks and dishwashers?.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
if a restaurant takes a tip credit for waitstaff they don’t have to share there tips , if the restaurant does not take a tip credit they may be required to share with kitchen help
Old 12-29-2021, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Is that Florida or nationally making it illegal for pooling to be offered to cooks and dishwashers?.
State and federal law, according to this link.

Florida Laws for Tipped Employees | Nolo
Old 12-29-2021, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
if a restaurant takes a tip credit for waitstaff they don’t have to share there tips , if the restaurant does not take a tip credit they may be required to share with kitchen help
Do you have a source for that information? If the tip income is the property of the server, I don't understand how the employer can give it to someone else, who never receives tips.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Goggle is your friend but I already knew this
Old 12-29-2021, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Correct. But, if the employer does not take the credit, then they must pay the minimum wage to the server directly. So, apparently, the server would receive the minimum wage plus their share of the pooled tip income that could include cooks and dish washers, but not the owner.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Whatever your always right anyway
A discussion works better when folks are polite to each other.
Closed Thread

Tags
tip, service, panera, screen, tipping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.