Unemployment bonus

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
There is talk of extending the $600. payment over the normal unemployment. I know this is hard times for workers, but in our area businesses can't find workers. They aren't willing to work while the govern pays them better not to work.
That was the absolute most destructive thing they could have done. It should never be repeated. I don't think you will see that happen again.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoa1kale2 View Post
That was the absolute most destructive thing they could have done. It should never be repeated. I don't think you will see that happen again.
I believe the President’s proposed payroll tax reduction would be worse. The unemployed need more help than the employed. Agree $600 is too much but $200 would go a long way.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Why not give out the unemployment stimulus similar to the way many pension are determine. Suggestion - Max total (regular unemployment plus stimulus) = 80% of the average of the last three years income based upon tax returns. Still leaves incentive for people to want to go back to work. If a family of two is collecting the max today is it not $300 regular plus $600 stimulus per week. That works out to on yearly basis of $93600 annual income. Many of the unemployed (that I have great sympathy for) were not making any where near that amount. Why would they want to go back to work?
Old 07-21-2020, 05:18 PM
Default Unemployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
yes there are certainly some that are taking advantage of this...hopefully they are the exception

good help is hard to find...and TV has outgrown the local labor pool...think about it people now come from Ocala and beyond for minimum wage jobs

the larger question however is the sky rocketing national debt that congress is just unwilling to do anything about....they just spend, spend, spend and kick the can down the road

at some point the the piper has to be paid
I believe that unemployment should not be paid unless a person shows that they have applied fora job in the last seven days.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
I guess the government should take
$600 away from social security and see how people who say it’s too much for the poor unemployed in this country , will sing the same tune .
The government forcibly deducted social security from a worker's check, for years, whether one thought it was a good idea or not. How do you make such a comparison to "free" money?

Fred
Old 07-21-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
And people getting the $600 get their state unemployment. One friend is bringing in $1400 a week. I can only dream of that in about a months pay sitting in the covid petri dish.
Do you know what the maximum FL unemployment benefit is? $275. And thr is fir Thursday with significant earnings who list their job. So. Please quit with the BS.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
What bothers me is the millions taken in the payroll protection plan by businesses in The Villages. These restaurants took this money and DID NOT pay their employees. I hope the gov catches them when they notice all the employees who were taking unemployment!

"The purpose of the taxpayer-funded PPP is to help small businesses avoid layoffs or salary reductions, hence loan forgiveness is therefore contingent on these conditions being met."

Any why did T&D need to take money? They were working the whole time!

Greed, somebody giving it away, somebody going to take it.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:13 AM
Default Weimar Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
yes there are certainly some that are taking advantage of this...hopefully they are the exception

good help is hard to find...and TV has outgrown the local labor pool...think about it people now come from Ocala and beyond for minimum wage jobs

the larger question however is the sky rocketing national debt that congress is just unwilling to do anything about....they just spend, spend, spend and kick the can down the road

at some point the the piper has to be paid
My grandfather / grandmother took their toddler son (my dad) and got on a boat out of Germany in 1924. Due to money printing and the resulting hyper-inflation, a loaf of bread was more expensive by the hour. Wage earners RAN to the stores to buy what they could as quickly as they could. Eventually, the entire system collapsed and the money became worthless ... yes worthless.

A copy of the front cover of an excellent book titled "When Money Dies" by Adam Fergusson is attached. Those are bank notes (trash) blowing in the street and being swept up.

This is all coming to a country near you very soon.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	whenmoneydies.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	85375  
Old 07-22-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
There is talk of extending the $600. payment over the normal unemployment. I know this is hard times for workers, but in our area businesses can't find workers. They aren't willing to work while the govern pays them better not to work.
I work from home doing medical billing. Believe it or not I was laid off for two weeks because the hospitals stopped procedures surgeries. Now we are still taking a hit. I have worked for this company 5 yrs I worked for a Hospital in Ohio for 15 until the outsourced our office. I have done this occupation since I was 20, 57 now. If I lose my job, mine will not be easy to come by and my pay. I know some take advantage of it, but some might not. I have never ever had to apply for unemployment and I hope I don’t have too! I want my job and to keep working. I am old school and brought up to work. And I would hate to have to go “out” there right now to work in the public with this virus! Very worried about my job!
Old 07-22-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The concept of being paid for being unemployed has gone from a once upon a time bridge of modest payment while one seeks another job.

Today's version is becoming a continuing source of income with bonus add ons that make being unemployed more beneficial than working. It has become an incentive to not return to work.

It makes absolutely no sense at all to be paying ANYBODY more than their job did......... to stay home.

Someone who gets it.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:29 AM

Your right about that.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgizzi View Post
I work from home doing medical billing. Believe it or not I was laid off for two weeks because the hospitals stopped procedures surgeries. Now we are still taking a hit. I have worked for this company 5 yrs I worked for a Hospital in Ohio for 15 until the outsourced our office. I have done this occupation since I was 20, 57 now. If I lose my job, mine will not be easy to come by and my pay. I know some take advantage of it, but some might not. I have never ever had to apply for unemployment and I hope I don’t have too! I want my job and to keep working. I am old school and brought up to work. And I would hate to have to go “out” there right now to work in the public with this virus! Very worried about my job!
Many good points and it is tough for us out here in the public working!
Old 07-22-2020, 12:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
Do you know what the maximum FL unemployment benefit is? $275. And thr is fir Thursday with significant earnings who list their job. So. Please quit with the BS.
I do know and that with the 600 is a nice chunk of change to get weekly for the past several months. Hoping people don't suffer and they were able to save some, no BS!
Old 07-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
I'm sorry but I cannot understand your post. If you are saying people in FL only get $275/wk, you are wrong. You need to add the $600/wk of CARES Act $$ for a total of $875/wk. If you use the 30 hour work week as an average, that's $29/hr. I guarantee that's a LOT more than many recipients were making before this handout and is a big reason why people won't go back to work. It is not just about "looking for work" as one can keep getting checks if they say they "fear" getting covid.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgizzi View Post
Hopefully you will find another job. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
unemployment, work, workers, area, pays

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.