Unfair Prosecution

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2021, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Ethan Crumbley, 15, has been arrested and charged with 4 counts of murder in the Michigan school shooting. He will be tried as an adult. Now, his parents have also been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter, even though school officials also had information about the possibility that the student could commit a violent crime.

Almost every day, you read about murders and other violent crimes being committed by minors in New York, Chicago, and other cities. But, I rarely hear about their parents being arrested in connection with those crimes. I wonder if the parents of Ethan Crumbley are being penalized because they are married and living in a two-parent family situation, and not in a large city. To me, it seems incredibly inequitable for them to be charged with manslaughter.
I don’t know what will happen with the charges against the parents , but if it makes one family get rid of a gun or make it more secure it’s a good thing .The problem I have is what makes a two parent family not living in a big city better then others who grew up in a one parent family living in a big city, I can’t even begin to think what the poster means , OH wait a minute I CAN .
Old 12-04-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Ethan Crumbley, 15, has been arrested and charged with 4 counts of murder in the Michigan school shooting. He will be tried as an adult. Now, his parents have also been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter, even though school officials also had information about the possibility that the student could commit a violent crime.

Almost every day, you read about murders and other violent crimes being committed by minors in New York, Chicago, and other cities. But, I rarely hear about their parents being arrested in connection with those crimes. I wonder if the parents of Ethan Crumbley are being penalized because they are married and living in a two-parent family situation, and not in a large city. To me, it seems incredibly inequitable for them to be charged with manslaughter.
If there were any balls dropped regarding this incident, then they were dropped by the parents.

My siblings and I were raised around guns. Dad Was a collector and had over 60, Handguns and long guns, and they all worked. None were ever locked up. But we were taught from an early age how to respect and handle firearms, along with the responsibility that operating a firearm entailed. One of the few times I recall him being angry at me was when he saw me crossing the fence with a loaded rifle and without taking the cartridge out of the chamber. I was maybe 12 years old at the time, but the lesson stayed with me.

But it wasn't just guns. Our parents made sure that we understood our responsibilities no matter what we undertook. We were taught early on that actions have consequences, and that we should not only know what those consequences were but to accept responsibility for our actions. We were by no means unique: living in rural northeastern meant that all the people who lived there saw both guns and responsibilities in the same manner. Guns were a tool like any other tool, the same as an ax, a chainsaw, or any tool that if used carelessly could turn around and bite you, and deserved to be respected and handled appropriately.

This obviously did not happen in the case of this teenager. His parents, by their actions regarding this handgun, totally shirked their responsibility as a parent of this kid. The kid will pay the price, and he should. But my guess is that this incident was just the tip of an iceberg; a history of faulty parenting that probably went back to the time that he was a toddler.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,598 Times in 1,760 Posts

Michigan school shooting: Ethan Crumbley'''s mother texted him '''don'''t do it,''' prosecutors say | Fox News

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-04-2021, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,090 Posts

Which means - she knew he was planning on doing it. Otherwise there would've been no reason for her to think of sending him a text telling him not to.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
but, people did see something and said something. caught the kid looking up ammo on his phone--calls and emails to parents got no answer. mother texted son, lol don't get caught. teacher sees note and takes photo...parents called in and won't take kid home. multiple social media where parents and child refer to it as the child's Christmas present. parents knew gun wasn't in a secure location. the school should have insisted the child be taken for psych eval immediately. so that's on them. but in this case, the evidence clearly supports parents culpability and the fact that they fled and hid only reinforces that. you can play the "what about" game all day regarding murders in Chicago, etc. but in this case there's a digital footprint of their indifference to his problems and access to a gun. and spare me the two family crap. both parents arrested for DUI, father has child support action against him, recently fired from job, wife also wrote bad checks--yeah great "2 parent" family

Thank you, Bonnevie, for saving me time by filling in the blanks about the mother’s texts and social media posts, etc. (I was getting ready to respond to the OP with the same info you provided.)

I hope those who think these parents are being unjustly treated will look beyond what seems to be only partial information they are seeing and hearing.

The mother’s behavior — so clearly revealed in her own words — was vile beyond comprehension.

There are many parents who destroy their own children and our society reaps what those parents sow. This time there was a trail on social media.

I was teaching secondary ed when the news of Columbine hit. I immediately looked at my area and tried to assess what I would try to do to keep my students safe if shots rang out. (I actually made a plan in my head where it stayed for the many years I had remaining before retirement. I never had to find out how good my plan would have been — but I never forgot about it.)

And my guess is that we have a country full of teachers — and former teachers — who want to see these parents brought to trial. If that happens, at the very least, maybe attention to parent responsibility, in general, will get a higher profile — for maybe 15 minutes.

I am sadly not surprised by what I am seeing on TOTV from posters defending the parents who made a monster out of an innocent baby who came into their lives 15 years ago.

A “married, two-parent family” ??? I guess that’s the latest buzz being programmed. Gimme a break. These two sure ain’t no Ozzie and Harriet. And I know a euphemism when I see one.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-04-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,601 Times in 5,194 Posts

My point is that is not fair for a prosecutor to charge these parents as criminals, when there are hundreds of other parents whose children have long criminal records as minors, including murder, and they are not prosecuted. It is clearly a double standard. The law should be more consistent.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
My point is that is not fair for a prosecutor to charge these parents as criminals, when there are hundreds of other parents whose children have long criminal records as minors, including murder, and they are not prosecuted. It is clearly a double standard. The law should be more consistent.
While there are many instances in the past where the parents should have been charged, we have to start some time. Given all of the school shootings over the past 20 years, it is high time to start charging the parents in these situations. Unfortunately, it will be the only way some folks will think about what is appropriate in raising their children.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
So this guy gets stopped for speeding. As the cop was writing out the ticket, the guy berates the cop. "Why was I stopped" the guy asked. " "Didn't you see all those other cars that were passing me"?

"Did you ever go fishing?" the cop asked.

"Sure" the guy replied.

"Did you ever catch every fish in the lake?"
Old 12-04-2021, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

If the kid is found guilty, execute him. If the parents are found guilty, jail them. Simple. But, until the court finds them guilty they are all considered "innocent." Case open until it isn't. Popular opinion doesn't mean anything.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:41 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
OP, with all due respect the prosecutor is doing her job with the evidence she has available. I might add evidence that we are not privy to. However, a person is assumed innocent until proven guilty. You make some valid points and entitled to your opinion. So many cases are decided by Social Media opinions without knowing all the facts and evidence in a case. The Court/Jury will decide in due time.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Let me help you with that. What you meant to write was it is not fair these white people got charged when so many black kids are criminals and their parents [or as I wrote earlier single parent] get away with it.

Is that better? The answer of course is that if that single Black parent bought a gun, knowingly provided access to that gun, knew their child was thinking about killing some schoolmates and did nothing even after the school expressed concern .. all of us would want that Black parent charged. Now find me that example.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,601 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
If the kid is found guilty, execute him. If the parents are found guilty, jail them. Simple. But, until the court finds them guilty they are all considered "innocent." Case open until it isn't. Popular opinion doesn't mean anything.
The Supreme Court has ruled that people under 18 cannot get the death penalty.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe LAWS SHOULD change. Let's not forget there are 4 families that will never hug their child again!
Old 12-04-2021, 01:47 PM
Platinum member

I think more will come out. I'm sure a lot of us are wondering why the kid's back pack wasn't searched. was it because the parents said they didn't own a gun? or that the kid doesn't have access to the gun? did they forbid the search? the mother referred in the past about kid with troubles...maybe they were worried there would be more disturbing pictures? and why didn't the school require the kid to be removed immediately?? being a danger to others is justification for a 3 day psych hold. I just wonder what assurances the parents may have given for the school to think the kid posed no immediate danger.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:16 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,598 Times in 1,760 Posts

My question is why on earth would any parent give this mentally unstable 15 year old or allow him access to a weapon of any kind?

A previous post disclosed they were not the best citizens themselves, but geez!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-04-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
charged, arrested, parents, violent, manslaughter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.