VA is providing third jabs for vets

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2021, 12:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default VA is providing third jabs for vets

For those not receiving the VA's updates, here is a piece from one I received today. If you are a vet and you meet the criteria, you should contact Gainesville VA (Malcolm Randell) and schedule an appointment.

------

NF/SGVHS is now offering a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine to Veterans, spouses, and caregivers that have previously received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines AND meet CDC’s definition of moderate to severe immune-compromised.

This includes:
  • Active treatment for solid tumor and hematologic malignancies
  • Receipt of solid-organ transplant and taking immunosuppressive therapy
  • Receipt of CAR-T-cell or hematopoietic stem cell transplant (within 2 years of transplantation or taking immunosuppression therapy)
  • Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (e.g., DiGeorge, Wiskott-Aldrich syndromes)
  • Advanced or untreated HIV infection
  • Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids (i.e., >20mg prednisone or equivalent per day), alkylating agents, antimetabolites, transplant-related immunosuppressive drugs, cancer chemotherapeutic agents classified as severely immunosuppressive, TNF blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory

Our VA care teams are working directly with immunocompromised Veterans to schedule their appointment to receive a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Spouses and caregivers of Veterans who meet CDC’s definition of moderate to severe immune-compromised can attend one of our walk-in no appointment needed vaccination clinics or call 352-548-6000 ext. 103755 to schedule an appointment (an additional dose of the COVID-19 vaccine should be administered at least 28 days after completion of the initial 2-dose COVID-19 vaccine series).

There is no additional dose recommended for those who have received the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine at this time. Other fully vaccinated individuals do not need a third dose right now. The need for and timing of the COVID-19 vaccine additional doses or booster doses for the rest of the population have not been established. Veterans that do not meet the current criteria for the third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine will be notified when further instructions for a third dose or boosters are recommended and offered.

Veterans that are unclear if they have one of the conditions above or are considered immunocompromised are encouraged to talk to their VA care team to discuss their options.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

I am concerned about the 8 month booster window. I’d like to see it reduced to 4 max 5 months. The Pfizer vaccine seems to rapidly reduce effectiveness after that time from data in Israel Times today, although still good - not great - at reducing deaths. Why take a chance and wait for 8 months?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	C2E9D2CC-F752-462B-8395-4F47D1794D87.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	90615  
Old 08-30-2021, 02:26 PM

Velvet, what does the CDC recommend?
Old 08-30-2021, 02:31 PM
Platinum member

This is not a booster. It is a third dose for those who may not have had a strong enough immune response from the first 2 doses.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired gal View Post
The VA says they are following CDC guidelines.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired gal View Post
Not sure. They maybe looking at the Israeli data as it just came out.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am concerned about the 8 month booster window. I’d like to see it reduced to 4 max 5 months. The Pfizer vaccine seems to rapidly reduce effectiveness after that time from data in Israel Times today, although still good - not great - at reducing deaths. Why take a chance and wait for 8 months?
If you look up the NY Times morning report (which is free), you will find that MANY US Doctors disagree with the Israel study and the article explains why. People with co-morbidities should definitely get that booster. US Doctors suggest that for the average person the booster is unnecessary. Vaccine wane is currently a murky gray area to US Doctors. Some suggest that it would be better to wait until the booster is formulated for new variants. I am sorry that this can NOT be discussed in black and white terms. I suggest doing continued research and then making a decision.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Is the "booster" a different make up or just a third shot of the original?
Old 08-30-2021, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Is the "booster" a different make up or just a third shot of the original?
Moderna and Pfizer 3rd shots are 3rd shots, not "booster" shots. They're referred to as boosters because it's easier to say than "third shot." They're both currently testing other formulations in the hopes that they can target specific variants.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
If you look up the NY Times morning report (which is free), you will find that MANY US Doctors disagree with the Israel study and the article explains why. People with co-morbidities should definitely get that booster. US Doctors suggest that for the average person the booster is unnecessary. Vaccine wane is currently a murky gray area to US Doctors. Some suggest that it would be better to wait until the booster is formulated for new variants. I am sorry that this can NOT be discussed in black and white terms. I suggest doing continued research and then making a decision.
All true. It is known that with other vaccines against viruses that older people tend to not developed as much immunity as younger people do. It is also known that the protection provided by a vaccine tends to wane faster in older people. BUT, it is not known how that applies to this new virus and the vaccines we have.

One of the areas I have seen studies being done on involves trying to determine if it is better to have a few "topped off" and very immune, or everyone slightly immune. IT is not an easy question, and there are ethical and moral complications to giving more (3rd) shots here, before vaccinating the rest of the world.

If only things were as simple as they are presented here on TOTV.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:35 AM

Is the Jab the same as a vaccine?
Old 08-31-2021, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Just called my local pharmacist and September 20th is the date set for allowing us regular people a third shot.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Is the Jab the same as a vaccine?
Yes
Old 08-31-2021, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Just called my local pharmacist and September 20th is the date set for allowing us regular people a third shot.
Misinformed pharmacist ?

The September 20 date has not yet been approved……

Quote:
If you are a vet and you meet the criteria, you should contact Gainesville VA (Malcolm Randell) and schedule an appointment.
Call the VA in Gainesville for an appointment ?? Why would I want to do that when I can get the booster shot here in The Villages for free ???

I just got my booster 2 weeks ago at Walgreens….. and yes, I am a Vet …..and NO appointment was necessary …

Last edited by jarodrig; 08-31-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
All true. It is known that with other vaccines against viruses that older people tend to not developed as much immunity as younger people do. It is also known that the protection provided by a vaccine tends to wane faster in older people. BUT, it is not known how that applies to this new virus and the vaccines we have.

One of the areas I have seen studies being done on involves trying to determine if it is better to have a few "topped off" and very immune, or everyone slightly immune. IT is not an easy question, and there are ethical and moral complications to giving more (3rd) shots here, before vaccinating the rest of the world.

If only things were as simple as they are presented here on TOTV.
I agree. Thank you for a great, informative post.
Closed Thread

Tags
dose, covid-19, vaccine, veterans, appointment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.