Walgreens mistakenly injected two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2021, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts
Default Walgreens mistakenly injected two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot

Walgreens mistakenly injected parents and two kids age 4 and 5 with the Covid vaccine instead of the flu shot and now they are being treated for tachycardia and elevated blood pressure.

""They will probably do OK," said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. "The difference is they got a three times higher dose of a vaccine than is being tested in clinical trials."
The children have reportedly been suffering other side effects for over a week after receiving their shots.

Indiana parents say Walgreens mistakenly injected them and their two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot - CNN
Old 10-15-2021, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

I am curious about the "rest of the story" regarding how this did or could happen.

There are steps in the procedure/process where one is asked/notified what they are receiving.

It must have been a total disconnect between pre vax documentation/post vax receipt and physically grabbed the wrong hypodermics.

Still begs the question of verification effectiveness.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:10 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

another Scam to get money !
Old 10-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Wow hope the kids come out of it ok and whoever did it finds a new job as a basket weaver.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post

The way I read it is that the Pharmacy CALLED the parents to let them know that they had received the wrong vaccine. Don't know how that would be a scam unless the employee was in on it.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I am curious about the "rest of the story" regarding how this did or could happen.

There are steps in the procedure/process where one is asked/notified what they are receiving.

It must have been a total disconnect between pre vax documentation/post vax receipt and physically grabbed the wrong hypodermics.

Right! They only thing I can think of is that they may have been slammed with customers and short of employees. Not an excuse, but might half way explain such a dangerous mistake.

I don't know anything about the flu shot, but that might explain how they got THREE times the amount of serum.

On top of the fact that their toddlers got three times the normal amount of vaccine, the parents had already been vaccinated for Covid. Guess they won't need a booster for a while.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Walgreens mistakenly injected parents and two kids age 4 and 5 with the Covid vaccine instead of the flu shot and now they are being treated for tachycardia and elevated blood pressure.

""They will probably do OK," said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. "The difference is they got a three times higher dose of a vaccine than is being tested in clinical trials."
The children have reportedly been suffering other side effects for over a week after receiving their shots.

Indiana parents say Walgreens mistakenly injected them and their two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot - CNN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
I wouldn't call it a scam---after all, I doubt this family came in to the drugstore to get the wrong shots on purpose. Clearly the pharmacist made a mistake, and a pretty big/avoidable one. If they were drawing the shot out of the vial, all they needed to do was read the label, so I doubt that was the case. More likely, based on their daily volume, the pharmacist had drawn up a number of syringes of both vaccines to "save time". We did this every year since we gave out 12-1400 flu shots on our 3 Saturday flu shot days----but we only had ONE vaccine drawn up. If they did this for more than one, a mistake could be made.

OK, so what's done is done, but now the interesting part:

The "symptoms" that were listed for this family as a result of the COVID vaccine, BY THEIR LAWYER can all be attributed to anxiety (except fever, which is common after many vaccines), and may not even be vaccine related. But we all know where this is headed. (Not a courtroom since dumb jurors would give a huge award, but a juicy settlement for sure). And the happiest person is the lawyer collecting 40% for a winning case that fell into his lap.

I'm also sure the settlement will include a codicil that still includes the right for the 2 children to sue for "malpractice" up to the legal limit of 30 months after their 18th birthday. I see a lot of sleepless nights for that pharmacist
Old 10-15-2021, 02:55 PM
Sage

I am more concerned about the health issue with the children (and the parents if they got another full dose of the vaccine) than the legal issues. According the article, Walgreens contacted the parents to inform them. I am really glad that they did that, in case something serious happens. I agree that there will be some sleepless nights for someone involved in that disaster.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Right! They only thing I can think of is that they may have been slammed with customers and short of employees. Not an excuse, but might half way explain such a dangerous mistake.

I don't know anything about the flu shot, but that might explain how they got THREE times the amount of serum.

On top of the fact that their toddlers got three times the normal amount of vaccine, the parents had already been vaccinated for Covid. Guess they won't need a booster for a while.
They weren't toddlers, they were 4 and 5 years old. That's pre-k and kindergarten age.

The "three times the amount" is comparative. They received the adult dose. There is no appropriate dose for 4-5 year old kids, at the moment.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:47 AM
Veteran member

And I would really wonder why parents would not be with children at a pharmacy? By federal law I pretty much understand there is no legal obligation of side effects to be sued for.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
The way I read it is that the Pharmacy CALLED the parents to let them know that they had received the wrong vaccine. Don't know how that would be a scam unless the employee was in on it.
No scam here but I do smell law suite!!!!
Old 10-16-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Not the first time this happen. I read about a woman a couple of weeks ago who had the same thing happen.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wow hope the kids come out of it ok and whoever did it finds a new job as a basket weaver.
Worse than that needs to happen to the person who did this. The adverse reactions people are getting is more than an accident.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:

So if a doctor cut off your arm by accident because he was slammed is that an excuse?
Old 10-16-2021, 06:19 AM

This happened to a friend of mine at Walgreens in Pinnellas. She had her covid shot and booster. Went to Walgreens to get flu shot and filled out all the paperwork with her husband. After they both got the shot the technician asked them for their cards. What cards? The vaccine cards so I can mark your covid boosters. Needless to say, the **** hit the fan. Lesson learned, always double-check before they give you the shot.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, walgreens, shot, medicine, mistakenly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.