Walgreens mistakenly injected two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2021, 06:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Walgreens mistakenly injected parents and two kids age 4 and 5 with the Covid vaccine instead of the flu shot and now they are being treated for tachycardia and elevated blood pressure.

""They will probably do OK," said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. "The difference is they got a three times higher dose of a vaccine than is being tested in clinical trials."
The children have reportedly been suffering other side effects for over a week after receiving their shots.

Indiana parents say Walgreens mistakenly injected them and their two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot - CNN
Old 10-16-2021, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriS View Post
Worse than that needs to happen to the person who did this. The adverse reactions people are getting is more than an accident.
Please explain.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Walgreens mistakenly injected parents and two kids age 4 and 5 with the Covid vaccine instead of the flu shot and now they are being treated for tachycardia and elevated blood pressure.

""They will probably do OK," said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. "The difference is they got a three times higher dose of a vaccine than is being tested in clinical trials."
The children have reportedly been suffering other side effects for over a week after receiving their shots.

Indiana parents say Walgreens mistakenly injected them and their two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot - CNN
Ouch, not good!
Old 10-16-2021, 07:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,238 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:

I have said from the beginning of all this madness
Stop pushing this crap on the young ones and this is exactly why
My grandson has POTs and it is hard on him, I feel bad what these two babies have facing them.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
another Scam to get money !
So they babies now have a heart condition and you opinionated self is making uncalled for statements…..smh
Old 10-16-2021, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
And I would really wonder why parents would not be with children at a pharmacy? By federal law I pretty much understand there is no legal obligation of side effects to be sued for.
Smh……..the parents were with them all 4 got the wrong shot, second when they sue it because they were GIVEN THE WRONG SHOT and now they have side effects.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=MDLNB;2017680]Walgreens mistakenly injected parents and two kids age 4 and 5 with the Covid vaccine instead of the flu shot and now they are being treated for tachycardia and elevated blood pressure.

As a retired nurse, I couldn’t imagine this ever happening as the usual practice is drawing up the medicine right before injection. Having just received our flu shots, I noticed they were already drawn up and in a ziplock with our names on them. This practice frees up the pharmacist to go back to filling other prescriptions but opens the door to errors as described here.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,316 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriS View Post
So if a doctor cut off your arm by accident because he was slammed is that an excuse?

I apologize that you could not comprehend my comment. "Not an excuse, but might half way explain such a dangerous mistake."
Old 10-16-2021, 08:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I apologize that you could not comprehend my comment. "Not an excuse, but might half way explain such a dangerous mistake."
as a retired pharmacist, this is our worst nightmare. from my observation, when you go for a shot, a technician enters it as a prescription. so it may be the label generated was for the wrong item and the pharmacist failed to verify....or the wrong item was put out for the pharmacist. any way it happened, it was a mistake.

when pharmacists were given the added responsibility of doing vaccines, I was aghast. having worked in retail, it is a nightmare at times. dr's. offices calling in, patients yelling at you because you can't fill something because you are waiting for the insurance company or the doctor's ofc. to give authorization, people wondering why it takes so long to take "pills from the big bottle and put them into the little bottle", people who have no refills screaming at you that you must give them a refill because they have to "be on this for life" and if you explain you need a new order then they say "well, I guess I'll just die then". so you give them enough until the dr.s office opens, people who want early refills, controlled substance problems, all those distractions constantly while you are trying to fill prescriptions lawfully while watching for drug interactions. then they added vaccine administration, most probably without adding more staff. so constant interruptions but the stress of never making a mistake.

chain retail stores like Walgreens and CVS have lobbied the legislature to increase the number of technicians one pharmacist is able to monitor. lobbyists for the chains have opposed measures such as limiting work hours and providing bathroom and meal breaks. They have quotas of prescriptions to fill.

I could never had an over 30 year career in pharmacy if all of it was in retail pharmacy. I lasted 2 years. 12 hour days, no breaks, if I had to use the bathroom I literally ran to it and ran back... I ate behind the counter. typical was the day I had sat down to each lunch, customer comes up with about 8 vials for refills, says, "oh lunch time--I'll be back in 20 minutes".

all of which is to not excuse making a mistake. as I said, it was all our worst nightmares. I guarantee you that pharmacist is feeling terrible. but piling on more work with no more people is a recipe for mistakes.

If you say, well you knew the job...not true. in pharmacy school you are taught the lofty role of patient counseling, drug interactions, etc. it doesn't prepare you for retail pharmacy. A pharmacist in Ireland described the job best. He said he considers his job "anger management".

sorry for the length...just wanted to give you a perspective on what you don't see and how this might have happened.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
as a retired pharmacist, this is our worst nightmare. from my observation, when you go for a shot, a technician enters it as a prescription. so it may be the label generated was for the wrong item and the pharmacist failed to verify....or the wrong item was put out for the pharmacist. any way it happened, it was a mistake.

when pharmacists were given the added responsibility of doing vaccines, I was aghast. having worked in retail, it is a nightmare at times. dr's. offices calling in, patients yelling at you because you can't fill something because you are waiting for the insurance company or the doctor's ofc. to give authorization, people wondering why it takes so long to take "pills from the big bottle and put them into the little bottle", people who have no refills screaming at you that you must give them a refill because they have to "be on this for life" and if you explain you need a new order then they say "well, I guess I'll just die then". so you give them enough until the dr.s office opens, people who want early refills, controlled substance problems, all those distractions constantly while you are trying to fill prescriptions lawfully while watching for drug interactions. then they added vaccine administration, most probably without adding more staff. so constant interruptions but the stress of never making a mistake.

chain retail stores like Walgreens and CVS have lobbied the legislature to increase the number of technicians one pharmacist is able to monitor. lobbyists for the chains have opposed measures such as limiting work hours and providing bathroom and meal breaks. They have quotas of prescriptions to fill.

I could never had an over 30 year career in pharmacy if all of it was in retail pharmacy. I lasted 2 years. 12 hour days, no breaks, if I had to use the bathroom I literally ran to it and ran back... I ate behind the counter. typical was the day I had sat down to each lunch, customer comes up with about 8 vials for refills, says, "oh lunch time--I'll be back in 20 minutes".

all of which is to not excuse making a mistake. as I said, it was all our worst nightmares. I guarantee you that pharmacist is feeling terrible. but piling on more work with no more people is a recipe for mistakes.

If you say, well you knew the job...not true. in pharmacy school you are taught the lofty role of patient counseling, drug interactions, etc. it doesn't prepare you for retail pharmacy. A pharmacist in Ireland described the job best. He said he considers his job "anger management".

sorry for the length...just wanted to give you a perspective on what you don't see and how this might have happened.
Working under those conditions and pressure, it's probably amazing that more mistakes aren't made and is a testament to the skill and professionalism of pharmacists like yourself. I'm also glad to hear that this pretty big screw-up, won't have a worse outcome for those poor kids.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
I am more concerned about the health issue with the children (and the parents if they got another full dose of the vaccine) than the legal issues. According the article, Walgreens contacted the parents to inform them. I am really glad that they did that, in case something serious happens. I agree that there will be some sleepless nights for someone involved in that disaster.
I wouldn't be too concerned for the adults. There have been lots of people who have received full dose Moderna third shots. I won't call them "boosters' because that is not what they are. Moderna has received emergency approval for booster injections which are one half the dosage of the original first two vaccine injections.Certain criteria apply for those to be eligible for the booster shots.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

Perhaps, the pharmacy realized the accident after the fact (after the family had left).
Old 10-16-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I am curious about the "rest of the story" regarding how this did or could happen.

There are steps in the procedure/process where one is asked/notified what they are receiving.

It must have been a total disconnect between pre vax documentation/post vax receipt and physically grabbed the wrong hypodermics.

Still begs the question of verification effectiveness.
Truth or fiction?????
Old 10-16-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
They weren't toddlers, they were 4 and 5 years old. That's pre-k and kindergarten age.

The "three times the amount" is comparative. They received the adult dose. There is no appropriate dose for 4-5 year old kids, at the moment.
Wow, don't go overboard on the empathy for the children!
Old 10-16-2021, 05:03 PM

I would own Walgreens!!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, walgreens, shot, medicine, mistakenly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.