Walgreens mistakenly injected two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2021, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
dittos--last night i went to pick up my dog's meds & they gave me the wrong rx. it was for human high blood pressure. a tad furious, i called & was upset over the non-chalantness of the pharmacists reaction. i was given a sing-song reply of how over worked they are, no xtra help, no one given lunch breaks, no applicant's for jobs, (even though) there were 2 techs, 1 pharmacist & 1 tech doing shots.
I had no idea that the pharmacies dispensed medication for animals. I've always gotten any meds for my dogs directly from the vet.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Platinum member

ok, retired pharmacist here. let me give you two different scenarios I encountered trying to get moderna booster. I had an appt. at Publix at 430pm. when I arrived there was one pharmacist and one tech and about 6 people in chairs waiting for shots because Publix also does walk ins. That poor pharmacist was beside herself trying to do everything. While tech was working drive in, pharmacist had to handle pick up window. one customer had problems with the way prescription was written and she said she'd have to call dr. and didn't know when that could be as she was swamped. he at least didn't yell at her. another woman was demanding to know when she would get her shot and the pharmacist said you are next in line but I can't tell you exactly when because she was going to be the only one there in 20 min. after tech leaves. the poor pharmacist hadn't had anything to eat or drink all day because of being over run with walk ins for shots. I decided not to stay and add to her burden. on Sat. I went to Villages Discount Pharmacy, which is an extremely rare independently owned pharmacy. although the internet said they were open until 3pm, the sign on door said. 2pm. I was getting in my car to leave and the owner/pharmacist came out and asked what I needed. I told him I was looking for booster but would come another time because having been a pharmacist I would never contribute to making them stay later. He insisted I come in and he gave the booster. I was commenting that it's really gutsy to open an independent and he told me he retired from CVS and wanted to open a place where he could offer the kind of service pharmacies used to be able to give. he said he has time to call the doctors and gave me an example of a woman with a newborn with breathing issues where the dr. had ordered some newest drug which would have cost her $600.(unfortunately, MDs don't know about the cost, usually they prescribe it because some rep. told them it was far superior to older, less expensive alternatives). He was able to talk to dr. and explain and the dr. was agreeable to changing it to another med. that cost her $50. that's the kind of thing that the chain pharmacists just don't have the time or resources to do. He said when he started at CVS it was different but now it's just numbers and quotas pharmacists have to make. he takes calls on his cell phone after hours for emergencies. I was amazed and he truly has a calling to his work. so just saying if you want more personal attention you should consider giving him your business. his website said they even deliver. He's on rt 44 in Freedom Plaza in Wildwood.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:09 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
ok, retired pharmacist here. let me give you two different scenarios I encountered trying to get moderna booster. I had an appt. at Publix at 430pm. when I arrived there was one pharmacist and one tech and about 6 people in chairs waiting for shots because Publix also does walk ins. That poor pharmacist was beside herself trying to do everything. While tech was working drive in, pharmacist had to handle pick up window. one customer had problems with the way prescription was written and she said she'd have to call dr. and didn't know when that could be as she was swamped. he at least didn't yell at her. another woman was demanding to know when she would get her shot and the pharmacist said you are next in line but I can't tell you exactly when because she was going to be the only one there in 20 min. after tech leaves. the poor pharmacist hadn't had anything to eat or drink all day because of being over run with walk ins for shots. I decided not to stay and add to her burden. on Sat. I went to Villages Discount Pharmacy, which is an extremely rare independently owned pharmacy. although the internet said they were open until 3pm, the sign on door said. 2pm. I was getting in my car to leave and the owner/pharmacist came out and asked what I needed. I told him I was looking for booster but would come another time because having been a pharmacist I would never contribute to making them stay later. He insisted I come in and he gave the booster. I was commenting that it's really gutsy to open an independent and he told me he retired from CVS and wanted to open a place where he could offer the kind of service pharmacies used to be able to give. he said he has time to call the doctors and gave me an example of a woman with a newborn with breathing issues where the dr. had ordered some newest drug which would have cost her $600.(unfortunately, MDs don't know about the cost, usually they prescribe it because some rep. told them it was far superior to older, less expensive alternatives). He was able to talk to dr. and explain and the dr. was agreeable to changing it to another med. that cost her $50. that's the kind of thing that the chain pharmacists just don't have the time or resources to do. He said when he started at CVS it was different but now it's just numbers and quotas pharmacists have to make. he takes calls on his cell phone after hours for emergencies. I was amazed and he truly has a calling to his work. so just saying if you want more personal attention you should consider giving him your business. his website said they even deliver. He's on rt 44 in Freedom Plaza in Wildwood.

Thank you. I know a couple off retired pharmacists and they have talked about the changes they have seen. One of them retired fairly recently after more than 35 years and said that when the chains brought in flu shots, etc., as the pharmacists’ responsibility, things began to change with time demands becoming more and more difficult. He was retired before the Covid vaccine — which has to be making those time demands even more ridiculous.

The Mom and Pop/independent pharmacies — that most of us are old enough to remember — have almost disappeared. Most chains have stockholders to pay so they will push as far as they can for profit and safety can suffer.

. . .I think it is wise to always double check any prescription before taking it. The big, old PDR is mostly a thing of the past, of course, and besides people did not usually have their own. But now every pill can be checked on the internet to see if it is the right one.

I have found that the quality of generics can seem to vary, but there is not much we can do about that except pay attention if your generic changes to a different generic and you notice differences in the effect.

And then there are the unending recalls. When Lipitor went generic, it spawned so many generics that the patient ends up getting whatever one was the best price to the chain and that generic can change depending on who’s got the big contract at the time. . .but I digress. . .

Anyway, it is good to hear about the independent pharmacy available to Villagers. I am pretty sure some independents can get buying power through a group so the prices to the customer can be competitive.

Being a pharmacist has always meant a good career, but with the way they are treated by the chains now, I wonder how long it is going to be before future pharmacists decide to take their science brains elsewhere to a different career choice.

Boomer
Old 10-24-2021, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
I had no idea that the pharmacies dispensed medication for animals. I've always gotten any meds for my dogs directly from the vet.
I get a pain med (Amantadine) for our senior dog from the pharmacy. It's for people but certain dogs can take it too. I've also gotten antibiotics and thyroid medicine for him at the pharmacy. Especially for antibiotics, our vet says it's much cheaper to get it from a pharmacy, and she writes the prescriptions.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,316 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
ok, retired pharmacist here. let me give you two different scenarios I encountered trying to get moderna booster. I had an appt. at Publix at 430pm. when I arrived there was one pharmacist and one tech and about 6 people in chairs waiting for shots because Publix also does walk ins. That poor pharmacist was beside herself trying to do everything. While tech was working drive in, ...........

I didn't know that Publix had a drive-in window. Where is it located? The Pulix's that I frequent don't have a window, as far as I know.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
I didn't know that Publix had a drive-in window. Where is it located? The Pulix's that I frequent don't have a window, as far as I know.
the new one near lowes but I think the one on 44 does too
Old 10-24-2021, 06:33 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
And I would really wonder why parents would not be with children at a pharmacy? By federal law I pretty much understand there is no legal obligation of side effects to be sued for.
I think you are correct on that, you do sign away your rights as to "side effects", but I suspect, that ONLY applies to the shot or medication they SAY they are administering. Surely, if you sign away your rights regarding any side effects you get from a tenuous injection, and they give you an injection of penicillin, you must have some rights ?
Old 10-24-2021, 06:43 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Oh so so so true. I too can remember what a "pharmacy and pharmacist" actually was. And I am sure many on here understand all too well, about the relationship of pharma reps, doctors, and how the whole "newest is best" works.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Right! They only thing I can think of is that they may have been slammed with customers and short of employees. Not an excuse, but might half way explain such a dangerous mistake.

I don't know anything about the flu shot, but that might explain how they got THREE times the amount of serum.

On top of the fact that their toddlers got three times the normal amount of vaccine, the parents had already been vaccinated for Covid. Guess they won't need a booster for a while.
At least, three months.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:30 AM

Obviously many have not worked in the medical field. Wonder if people in other professions made mistakes at their jobs? In this case, it was a human error that affected other humans, then went public. I'm sure the Pharmacist who made this error is suffering emotional pain. It's a really really really bad med error, for sure. Hopefully, they followed all the steps of verification correctly. Somewhere though, a big mistake was made and it cannot be taken back.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:47 AM

And yes, the Pharmacists are now expected to multi-task and still NOT make any mistakes. In the medical fields, doctors/nurses/pharmacists/techs/CNA's (all medical folks) are being pushed to the brink. I'm a nurse and there are many 12 hr. shifts where I don't eat lunch until 5 pm. (My shifts start at 7 am). Go to the bathroom ???? Forget that. Most of the time, there's not even time to stop and drink fluids. You have to choose; eat, drink, stop to pee ----- and go home late and risk reprimand for overtime pay ----- or just keep on pushing through so you get out on time. I feel really bad for that PHARMACIST.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,316 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
And yes, the Pharmacists are now expected to multi-task and still NOT make any mistakes. In the medical fields, doctors/nurses/pharmacists/techs/CNA's (all medical folks) are being pushed to the brink. I'm a nurse and there are many 12 hr. shifts where I don't eat lunch until 5 pm. (My shifts start at 7 am). Go to the bathroom ???? Forget that. Most of the time, there's not even time to stop and drink fluids. You have to choose; eat, drink, stop to pee ----- and go home late and risk reprimand for overtime pay ----- or just keep on pushing through so you get out on time. I feel really bad for that PHARMACIST.

Wow, sounds like the life of a police officer. Of course, when a police officer makes a mistake and shoots the wrong person, no one "feels really bad for" him or her. Regardless of how busy someone is when involved in a dangerous procedure, they KNOW by training what they are supposed to do. When my wife was given the wrong prescription mixed in with the correct medication, that was a serious mistake. I caught it before any damage was done, so I returned to the pharmacy and quietly informed the pharmacist. No harm, no foul. But, it was potentially a dangerous situation. I could have lost her. But, I didn't and I corrected the situation. I can only imagine how the parents would have felt if they would have lost one or both of their children due to a negligent action, perhaps due to the work force being stretched too thin, or someone having a bad day.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Platinum member

I disagree that "no one feels sorry" for a police officer who accidentally shoots the wrong person. The key word is accidentally. sometimes it's inappropriate use for the situation that they are held accountable for. (before everyone piles on...my father, uncle, and brother were all police officers and I am not anti-police.)

Last edited by Bonnevie; 10-27-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: +
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, walgreens, shot, medicine, mistakenly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.