What? Now they 'suggest' wearing GOGGLES to avoid COVID???

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I wear googles often, my eyes tear up when chopping onions, dust or insects etc when riding my bike, swimming under water etc. No problem for Covid. I appreciate DrFauci sharing new ideas.
This is not a new idea. We have been informed from early on that the virus can be contracted through the eyes. There was a physician early on in the pandemic who claimed he contracted the virus through his eyes on an airplane. He claims to have been protected with a mask the entire flight. I'm not sure but I think he said he wore an N95 mask on the flight.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
The few public places that we do go to I'm wearing my glasses...however I suspect that wearing a mask, truly practicing social distance and avoiding places where people are not doing that are really the key things (and yes, using sanitizers when returning to the car and washing our hands upon returning home)

some of this is as simple as changing our own behavior

I now wait for folks to leave the onion bin at the store before I select the onions I need...I wait for the person checking every package of chicken to move before I select mine...etc. and we go at the 'off times' to food shop

when I see someone without a mask at the grocery store...I stay away from them

sometimes applying just a little common sense goes a long way
When I see someone in an indoor public building with a mask with a valve, I stay away from them as I would if they had no mask on at all. Those valved masks allow the exhaled breath (and virus too if the person is sick with Covid) right out of the one way valve. The valve filters the air going into the mask but NOT the exhaled breath.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
OP was being funny with the guy wearing a rubber but wearing glasses is not a half bad thing to do along with your mask. I wear sunglasses all of the time outside but I think if anyone is the designated "shopper" or the "out" person or the "purchasing agent" for the house that wearing glasses is a good thing.

Right behind your pretty eyes is your brain and it I wouldn't want one of those pieces of Covid-19 to get in my body through my eyes.

Why NOT. I don't want it. Most people do not.

I keep thinking about how people don't take Charles Darwin and his "Survival of the Fittest" seriously enough.

There is a TEST. It is now and it is not good if you fail it.

Stay safe y'all.
Well, the brain IS right behind the eyes, but fortunately the virus doesn't work that way
Old 07-30-2020, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well, the brain IS right behind the eyes, but fortunately the virus doesn't work that way
It targets the lungs. Coronavirus in the Lungs: What Does COVID-19 Really Do to Your Lungs?
Old 07-30-2020, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I ordered safety glasses when this first started. I also wore disposable gloves that I frequently cleaned with sanitizer. Now I just wear a very thin cloth mask to go into a store.
I just lost a relative to COVID-19 two days ago. He wore protective gear, stayed home, and did not frequent crowds. His only chance of becoming infected was in a hospital where he went to visit family. If it's your time, you can't do anything about it. Better to use lots of sanitizer, supplemented with lots of prayer. SO, if the first doesn't work you have something going for you in the end.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

When I flew on March 19, almost no one wore a mask on the plane especially families leaving from Disney World. I wore my mask, couldn’t get the right gloves so I wore my kitchen turquoise rubber gloves, took sanitizers in zip lock, had eye shades but no glasses so I kept my eyes closed throughout the flight - no drinks, no food, no washroom, and wore a hoodie wrapped around my head. I must have looked like something else because the customs guy (in his twenties) asked, “Are you sure you are not ill?” I said this Covid might be like a mild flu for you but it can be a death sentence for me. He asked no more questions. I figured that I may look funny on the plane this time, but I’ll live to be Vogue modelish as many times as I want later. So far so good....
Old 07-30-2020, 03:16 PM

I keep hearing over and over about listening to the scientist the doctors in the experts... seriously? This info was obvious months ago that if a mask covers nose/mouth, that glasses cover eyes and shields cover Everything. I really find it laughable at this point that anyone questions shields/eyewear. There’s ALOT of things I question about this virus situation but the benefit of keeping spit out of my eyes was a no brainer when I bought shields months ago. Everybody wants to follow Fauci... seriously? What a pathetic lame response to this whole affair. This advice should have been day one level one advice. It’s no wonder we are failing as a country to keep this under control. I am shaking my head over and over and over again. If you can imagine a future event don’t wait for some Doctor/scientist to lead you there, prepare yourself now by using your own brain. “Follow the Scientists and Doctors.” Ha. That’s been the joke. This is basic common sense, all of it, masks, distance, stay away from people, wash/wipe. Just Til we figure this out. How about the doctors and scientists start Broadcasting the reality that being overweight and obese is an absolute killer if you do catch this disease. How come I don’t hear anything about that absolute fact? 40% Americans are obese. Not overweight. Obese. And that’s a killer when it comes to this disease. Where’s the doctor’s rally cries on obesity? Reason would dictate that the scientists and doctors would be stressing everyone to lay off the food and get in shape. These doctor scientist jokers are way behind the curve. Think for yourself. What’s next , the question is asked? Be asking yourself that question, use sense, and order the supplies now don’t wait for Fauci or anyone else to tell you what to do. Use brains.

Last edited by WhiteToast; 07-30-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteToast View Post
I keep hearing over and over about listening to the scientist the doctors in the experts... seriously? This info was obvious months ago that if a mask covers nose/mouth, that glasses cover eyes and shields cover Everything. I really find it laughable at this point that shields and anyone questions shields/eyewear. There’s ALOT of things I question about this virus situation but the benefit of keeping spit out of my eyes was a no brainer when I bought shields months ago. Everybody wants to follow Fauci... seriously? What a pathetic lame response to this whole affair. I am shaking my head over and over and over again. If you can imagine a future event don’t wait for some scientist to lead you there prepare yourself now by using your own brain. “Follow the Scientists and Doctors.” Ha. That’s been the joke.
Fauci’s been around for so many administrations it’s not political to say he’s not doing a good job. If it weren’t for Dr. Birx I’ve never listen to any of them again. I take every conceivable precaution. I just do my own smart thing.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
so are YOU going to start wearing GOGGLES??
Why all the freak out? Apply common sense. Eye protection = protects. Shields = protect. It’s not that hard to fathom is it?

I don’t have to point out deaths are increasing hospitalizations are increasing so keep the freak out in perspective.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

No sarcasm intended or implied!
Old 07-30-2020, 06:13 PM
Gold member

I'm still amazed at the number of educated people who are hard core anti maskers and don't take this virus seriously. I wish we could hear from those who are now at room temperature because of the virus to tell us what they think about masks or even googles. Cro-Magnum man is alive and well in the good old USA with a healthy contingency here in Villages.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:14 AM

I find it funny, almost everyone missed the opinion that this is mostly spread by hands to the face. I go to the store and wear a mask. I have prescription eyeglasses, so I have that protection, however, what I find funny, is that while going around the store, I have alcohol wipes with me constantly and wiping my hands. I don't see other people doing this. Perhaps this is how so many people are still getting infected.

Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny56 View Post
I find it funny, almost everyone missed the opinion that this is mostly spread by hands to the face. I go to the store and wear a mask. I have prescription eyeglasses, so I have that protection, however, what I find funny, is that while going around the store, I have alcohol wipes with me constantly and wiping my hands. I don't see other people doing this. Perhaps this is how so many people are still getting infected.

Just a thought.
We are a few months in with this pandemic. One of the very first guidelines we Americans were instructed to do was to wash our hands very frequently and DON'T TOUCH OUR FACE. I would hope all intelligent adults at this point have trained themselves to not touch their face unless they have freshly washed hands.

When I'm out and about, I use the inside of my shirt to "scratch" an itch on my face. My bare hands do not come in contact with my nose, eyes or mouth EVER.....even in my own home and even after I have just washed my hands. If I keep my hands away from my face when I'm in my own home after I just washed my hands, it becomes second nature to never ever touch my face with my bare hands.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

I'm constantly adjusting my mask, with my hands. I can't run to the bathroom to wash my hands every 10 minutes, and I'm not touching my face. I'm touching my mask. At the end of the shift, I take the mask off, and THEN I wash my hands. Of course I also wash them when I "go to the bathroom", before and after eating, and I sanitize my hands randomly throughout the shift at whichever register I'm closest to at the moment (there's a little pump thing of sanitizer at every register for the cashiers).

For me, personally, the purpose of the mask is to prevent me from touching my face. It does a spot-on job of it. It also helps prevent any of MY germs from reaching anyone else. It also helps reduce the risk (notice I didn't say prevent) of me getting germs caused by customers coming too close to me, especially those who refuse to wear masks at all (some still refuse).

So far, so good.

Edited to add WHY I'm constantly adjusting my mask - two reasons:

1. Going out to get empty shopping carts and rolling them back in, during 60+% humidity and 90+ degrees, wearing glasses, a polyester shirt, and long black pants in the Florida sun - my face drips with sweat and it makes my mask wet, it makes the ear-loops wet, it makes the whole thing ride up or droop down, to the point where if I don't adjust it, it'll either fall off my mouth or get in my eyes (depending on which direction it's going at any given moment).

2. When you do a LOT of talking all day long with a mask that curves under your chin, the mask will move and shift. When your job is to provide premier customer service, it means constant communication with the customer. So talking a lot is part of the job. That means a shifting mask comes with the territory, thus the need to constantly adjust the mask.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 07-31-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I am not a physician. I am a retired Pre-School teacher. (Not the kind who baby sat, the kind that really took education, psychology and child development courses and truly taught four year old's important things)

However, I suspect that those Covid-19 particles do not need to get into your eyes. No matter how we are told not too, we rub our eyes and touch our nose and we can get sick from it. AND my brain is behind my pretty eyes and I use it even if I am just a retired Pre-school teacher and I am humbly grateful for the two physicians who post regularly on this forum from both sides of the aisle. They not only educate, but they amuse us with their other than medical views sometimes.

Tags
fauci, news, goggles, add, flu

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.