Where Have All The Elected Officials Gone?

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2020, 07:33 PM
Default Where Have All The Elected Officials Gone?

Everyday we continue to hear verified news about ever increasing COVID-19 cases in Florida. In fact, Florida and Texas are now the verified "hot beds" of the Covid-19 disease in our country. Who would have ever thought this could happen? Or better yet, kudos to those who thought "when" it would happen? Yet, the silence is deafening from our elected officials as to how, and if when, they plan to respond to this new disease emergence other than continuing to sequester actual Covid-19 positive test number results. How much longer will my fellow Villagers continue to emulate the proverbial ostrich and believe that all is well?

Perhaps the old childhood fable of The Pied Piper is too enticing to forgo? And who in this case could the Pied Piper be? Hmmmmm.

Please share your comments.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
Everyday we continue to hear verified news about ever increasing COVID-19 cases in Florida. In fact, Florida and Texas are now the verified "hot beds" of the Covid-19 disease in our country. Who would have ever thought this could happen? Or better yet, kudos to those who thought "when" it would happen? Yet, the silence is deafening from our elected officials as to how, and if when, they plan to respond to this new disease emergence other than continuing to sequester actual Covid-19 positive test number results. How much longer will my fellow Villagers continue to emulate the proverbial ostrich and believe that all is well?

Perhaps the old childhood fable of The Pied Piper is too enticing to forgo? And who in this case could the Pied Piper be? Hmmmmm.

Please share your comments.
I am personally trying to put myself in our elected officials shoes and wonder what I would do? It's definitely not an enviable position. First of all, no one really knows what to do? That's why they call it a novel vires, because it's never been experienced before and every day is a learn as you go situation. Hindsight is always 20-20, but with lack of knowledge our officials are driving at night without headlights. To further complicate the situation, our officials are forced to be the unfortunate ones that must decide between two evils, opening up too early and risking a bad outbreak of the virus, or staying closed and choking off the economy. No matter what they choose, they will be second guessed and blamed if their decision proves to be the wrong one. It's kind of a no win situation. We all need to be patient and cautious and let this thing play out so our very talented scientist can figure out a good treatment and/or vaccination. Unfortunately, until then, we must all make sacrifices and get along as best as possible : )
Old 06-27-2020, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

The elected officials are too busy pandering to blm to deal with the virus. Sad isn't it.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am personally trying to put myself in our elected officials shoes and wonder what I would do? It's definitely not an enviable position. First of all, no one really knows what to do? That's why they call it a novel vires, because it's never been experienced before and every day is a learn as you go situation. Hindsight is always 20-20, but with lack of knowledge our officials are driving at night without headlights. To further complicate the situation, our officials are forced to be the unfortunate ones that must decide between two evils, opening up too early and risking a bad outbreak of the virus, or staying closed and choking off the economy. No matter what they choose, they will be second guessed and blamed if their decision proves to be the wrong one. It's kind of a no win situation. We all need to be patient and cautious and let this thing play out so our very talented scientist can figure out a good treatment and/or vaccination. Unfortunately, until then, we must all make sacrifices and get along as best as possible : )
What would I do, if I were an elected official trying to deal with a pandemic? Easy. I'd listen to the scientists. I'd respect them, I'd hire them, I'd listen to them, I'd cherish them. I would likely accept their advice, and I would encourage them to come up with a game plan that would provide the greatest benefit at the lowest cost (meaning - most health benefit with the least amount of damage to the economy). I would allow for the scientists and the bean counters to get together and come up with a plan that can both can live with, even if it isn't perfect.

What I would NOT do is dismiss them, fire them, put them in the back of the room, ignore them, not allow them to speak to the public, or trade them for people who don't actually know what they're talking about.

That's what I would do. But I'm not an elected official. Maybe those types have different brain cells and aren't capable of pragmatism.
Closed Thread

Tags
covid-19, thought, happen, pied, piper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.