2017 Yamaha engine fault code 46

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2021, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,240 Posts
Default 2017 Yamaha engine fault code 46

I have the above golf cart, the code (#46) indicates low voltage to fuel injector, the possible causes are wiring harness, low battery charge, charging system. I have checked the battery, indications are it is OK. So next appears to be the charging system, so has anyone else had this problem and was a replacement started/generator the fix? Did you get new or rebuilt? Cost?

I am doing more research, but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have the above golf cart, the code (#46) indicates low voltage to fuel injector, the possible causes are wiring harness, low battery charge, charging system. I have checked the battery, indications are it is OK. So next appears to be the charging system, so has anyone else had this problem and was a replacement started/generator the fix? Did you get new or rebuilt? Cost?

Found this with a google search. I hope it helps. Post number 7 shows common fault codes.

Efi fault codes
Old 08-08-2021, 07:43 PM
Sage

I did find the fault codes, it appears I may need a new (or rebuilt) started/generator, a new voltage regulator, or ??

Additional tests showed with the cart running the battery voltage goes up from 12.7 to over 15 VDC so the generator appears to be functioning as well as the voltage regulator, THEN, the problem disappeared!! No flashing light, no codes.

This is going to be interesting.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
I did find the fault codes, it appears I may need a new (or rebuilt) started/generator, a new voltage regulator, or ??

Additional tests showed with the cart running the battery voltage goes up from 12.7 to over 15 VDC so the generator appears to be functioning as well as the voltage regulator, THEN, the problem disappeared!! No flashing light, no codes.

After all the help you've provided to so many for so long, I would stand on my head and Spit Chicklets to help you but I can't. I r not that smart.

Could it be a bad battery or poor ground? That's all I got. I'll be watching for when you get it straightened out. I know you will get it quickly.

Last edited by Nucky; 08-09-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

Where did you find the code? Did you hook a device to your cart to diagnose the problem?
Old 08-09-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Where did you find the code? Did you hook a device to your cart to diagnose the problem?
I am thinking it's the red light on the dash that comes on when you turn the key on. Looks like a low oil indicator.

Bad ground comes to mind for an intermittent problem. Good luck with your cart. Willy's has some good people and they might shoot you some ideas too. They have a face book page.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:52 AM

Do you still have the original battery in the cart? Did this problem start to happen right after you replaced the original battery? I will be following this post as I too have a 2017.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Didn’t run through water that splashed up on electronic’s/harness lately? I highly doubt it the starter generator? My guess would be loose connection, corrosion in connector, or wet connector? If I was going to replace anything , first it would be the regulator (it it can be replaced). About only thing goes wrong with starter generator loose belt or worn brushes ( brushes last very long time).
Old 08-09-2021, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf6969 View Post
Do you still have the original battery in the cart? Did this problem start to happen right after you replaced the original battery? I will be following this post as I too have a 2017.

The battery can be tested separately by load test. As I understand his problem is intermittent charging problem?
Old 08-09-2021, 04:12 PM
Sage

Just noticed the light does NOT come on at all NOW, it would always flash on when the engine initially started and then go out. Now I will be checking the bulb (LED) to see what is going on, BUT, first I need to get the car for sale running...........
Old 09-04-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:

We have the exact same problem on our 2017 cart. It's not our battery, nor our starter/generator, nor the voltage regulator. Our problem is somewhat intermittent. Could be heat related? Voltage at gas gauge indicator light increases when I take my foot off the accelerator and decreases when I give it gas. Might only be a coincidence, but we recently took our cart in to have brake cable recall inspection performed again. Afterwards this problem started again. How can I contact you? Gordon's Garage hasn't been of any real help.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:31 PM
Sage

I sent you a private message with my phone number
Old 09-06-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:

Both of our Yamaha gas carts have done the same thing and it could be days or months before it does it again.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Both of our Yamaha gas carts have done the same thing and it could be days or months before it does it again.
Interesting, the red light is back to normal, and the fault code is gone...........
I am going to just monitor for the time being.

Tags
low, battery, charging, system, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.