AC Unit Leaking Water Inside House - M&S Thumbs Up

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Platinum member
Smile AC Unit Leaking Water Inside House - M&S Thumbs Up

Had a Mitsubishi wall unit installed 3+ years ago in my lanai. This morning I noticed water was on the floor & realized it was coming from the AC. I called M & S in Fruitland Park.... the unit was purchased & installed by them....I scheduled an appointment then asked if I take a shop vac & attach it to the drain line outside might that cure the problem? I figured it was just a clogged drain line. They put me on hold & connected me with a tech.... tech said that's most likely the problem.... Got shop vac out & did just what he suggested. No more water coming INSIDE. Now going thru drain outside.... works as advertised....Thank you M & S..... LIFE IS GOOD!!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Gold member

If you don't have regular maintenance on your AC then algae will grow in the drain pipe and clog it. Using the vac works but I've heard from the AC tech to pour a pint of vinegar ( another tech said bleach) in the white PVC stand off port once a month. We opted to have regular maintenance.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Gold member

I must say I am confused re: bleach in ac drain.

I've had techs say that bleach will soften the glue on the PVC pipe and I've heard it will cause the pipe to crack. DOES ANYONE KNOW?

The "glue" is actually acetone which dissolves the plastic and so the plastic melts together. The solvent quickly evaporates. I do not think bleach can get itnto let alone damage the joints.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:02 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Forgive me for intruding, but you should never use bleach to help keep your condensate drain from clogging. Bleach and bleach vapors can damage the internal components of your air handler, including the A-coil.

Pouring hot water down it, vacuuming or blowing it out, or even vinegar is fine, (although some techs even so no to vinegar) but do not use bleach. Hope this helps....

Frank
Old 10-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Winner Winner....Mr Dangelo is 100% correct....vinegar...perfecto. Use the white vinegar first followed by the hottest water you can handle after the vinegar has set for 10-15 minutes. It's a small household maintenance item done every 2 to 3 months. If we ever get down to The Villages I will do it for you if you wish.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I use a cup of vinegar each month in the home A/C system. My drain line is about 30 feet. Maybe 1/2 cup for your unit. Agree skip the bleach. If you are not doing your home A/C start doing it now or you will have the same problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
unit, drain, water, tech, coming, line, inside, installed, problem, shop, vac, figured, cure, clogged, put, connected, hold, advertised, works, good, bowdownlife, suggested, asked, ago, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.