Adding a light to a ceiling fan

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Default Adding a light to a ceiling fan

I bought a ceiling fan light kit from Lowe's and installed it per the directions - connecting the white and black wires to the white and blue "light fixture" wires inside the base of the fan - but without success.

When I tested the white and blue wires there is no power there, even when the fan is going round.

There is no sign of a switch inside the fan, and no suggestion in the installation instructions that these wires aren't automatically live (they had plastic insulators screwed on to the ends)

Any ideas on how to get them "energised"?

Is it likely that when the fan was originally installed these wires just weren't connected?

I have turned on every switch in the room just in case :-)

Thank you
Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I would drop the fan and see if they were connected when installed. Some fans they are a separate connection to the feed for the lights.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:45 PM

I had the same problem. Turned out a red wire was not connected at the wall switch
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Default Seeing the light

Thank you, good people, I shall check both items
Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Default Light on Fan

I had the same problem. I had to take down the fan and look if the light wire was attached at the top and of course it wasn't. I attached it and voila the light works perfectly.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM

I just installed a fan and every so often the lights blink. I used energy saving bulbs . Any ideas
Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM

@Sallistang, regarding your blinking lights.

If only one light of the set blinks then probably a bad bulb. Swap the "good" bulb with the blinking bulb to see if the blink moves to the other location. If all the lights are randomly blinking "off" then back on, I suspect a loose wire. The loose wire connection could be in the wall switch (I've had that experience) or in the ceiling J-box or fan housing (more likely). You may have a wire twist nut loose or totally off. The bare wires then make contact most of the time but vibration due to fan rotation or something makes the wires disconnect for a second.

I had that inside the wall switch in the garage for the laundry room overhead light inside the house. Caused a random blink "off" and back on. That can lead (absolute worst case) to overheated wires and a fire or an electrical shock if you pull out the wires, so check it out (carefully).

BTW, the energy saving bulbs should work OK - figure you mean the CFLs - but they won't work with a normal dimmer switch.

Last edited by Sparty6971; 08-17-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.