Air Conditioner A coil drain

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts
Default Air Conditioner A coil drain

My A/C drain line was about plugged up with decade of dust and debris. Tried to blow it out with garden hose but back flow wouldn't build up enough pressure to wash it out without backing up to almost the A coil drain pan.

So, I got 3/4" Wye (3 way) connector fitting, 2 foot of straight pipe, couple straight connectors, elbow connector, Garden hose nipple, and ball valve to seal off the drain so it would pressurize with 60 Psi water pressure.

After assemble, ) Didn't have to glue most of the joints, they fit tight enough to hold 50 to 60 PSI water pressure.) Hooked the water hose up and pressurized the Drain tubing that runs under the garage and outside the house. It worked, blow out the clog or near clog. The ball valve sealed off the drain tube below the A Coil. that allowed water pressure to build up and blow the drain line out.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My A/C drain line was about plugged up with decade of dust and debris. Tried to blow it out with garden hose but back flow wouldn't build up enough pressure to wash it out without backing up to almost the A coil drain pan.

So, I got 3/4" Wye (3 way) connector fitting, 2 foot of straight pipe, couple straight connectors, elbow connector, Garden hose nipple, and ball valve to seal off the drain so it would pressurize with 60 Psi water pressure.

After assemble, ) Didn't have to glue most of the joints, they fit tight enough to hold 50 to 60 PSI water pressure.) Hooked the water hose up and pressurized the Drain tubing that runs under the garage and outside the house. It worked, blow out the clog or near clog. The ball valve sealed off the drain tube below the A Coil. that allowed water pressure to build up and blow the drain line out.

Good fix. Feels good being self sufficient, doesn't it ?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 AM

I use my wet-vac outside once every 2 months to keep it clear. Home depot has a reducer for the vac hose that works.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:58 PM

An easier way is to pour a half a cup of vinegar down the line once a month which everyone should be doing. Then once a year have an air-conditioner company come and service it like it needs to be done yearly to have the coils cleaned, etc.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
An easier way is to pour a half a cup of vinegar down the line once a month which everyone should be doing. Then once a year have an air-conditioner company come and service it like it needs to be done yearly to have the coils cleaned, etc.
Well, that's all nice and quaint, but I didn't own the home for the first 12 years. That Vinegar will only work if years of crud hasn't built up. I did the vinegar two years ago when I moved in and it didn't so any good. You know the best way to get something done right? let someone else do it.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Good fix. Feels good being self sufficient, doesn't it ?
I get bored and like fixing stuff myself beings I had to do it for 45 years. Peace!
Old 03-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
I use my wet-vac outside once every 2 months to keep it clear. Home depot has a reducer for the vac hose that works.
Thanks for the tip! Mine was pretty clogged and I don't have wet vac anymore beings I down sized. I like power flush and the ball valve seals off down stream from the A coil so I could use water pressure to blow it out. That drain tube does have AC fan air pressure when the fan running, but in my case years of neglect allowed clogging at the 90 degree elbows going across, then up. snake wouldn't work won't pass the elbows beings they were 3/4".
Old 03-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! Mine was pretty clogged and I don't have wet vac anymore beings I down sized. I like power flush and the ball valve seals off down stream from the A coil so I could use water pressure to blow it out. That drain tube does have AC fan air pressure when the fan running, but in my case years of neglect allowed clogging at the 90 degree elbows going across, then up. snake wouldn't work won't pass the elbows beings they were 3/4".

Actually the drain tube (trap) is under negative pressure. The reason for the trap is to allow the condensate to drain under gravity pressure. Without the trap, condensate would not drain from the A coil pan because of this negative pressure. The condensate trapped in the trap allows the condensate to gravity drain.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Actually the drain tube (trap) is under negative pressure. The reason for the trap is to allow the condensate to drain under gravity pressure. Without the trap, condensate would not drain from the A coil pan because of this negative pressure. The condensate trapped in the trap allows the condensate to gravity drain.
RickeyD thanks for the explanation!

My Unit is mounted at least 2 feet above the garage floor. With the drain running down the side of the unit (which the A coil is mounted even higher above the fan and heater unit. The Drain has built in P trap using the full length of the garage to outside Ac unit where the drain goes up and out to drain.

With the Fan running so far above the garage floor Fan air comes out the Wye connector when I take the cap off. IMO the hold length of the drain water is very heavy will not allow any air to be pulled up the drain. IMO this also allows slow movement of water to drain due to the length increasing build up over the years. It took 12 years plus to accumulate.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
RickeyD thanks for the explanation!

My Unit is mounted at least 2 feet above the garage floor. With the drain running down the side of the unit (which the A coil is mounted even higher above the fan and heater unit. The Drain has built in P trap using the full length of the garage to outside Ac unit where the drain goes up and out to drain.

With the Fan running so far above the garage floor Fan air comes out the Wye connector when I take the cap off. IMO the hold length of the drain water is very heavy will not allow any air to be pulled up the drain. IMO this also allows slow movement of water to drain due to the length increasing build up over the years. It took 12 years plus to accumulate.

Yes, but it's not the length of the drain, rather it's the height of the water column that doesn't allow air to be sucked in by the negative pressure. This water column height is specified in the installation and operation manual.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, but it's not the length of the drain, rather it's the height of the water column that doesn't allow air to be sucked in by the negative pressure. This water column height is specified in the installation and operation manual.
It must be under concrete, no visible signs of it above ground. Comes straight out of the A coil slight pitch down, down the side furnace into the concrete, pops up about 3" out by the A/C unit.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
It must be under concrete, no visible signs of it above ground. Comes straight out of the A coil slight pitch down, down the side furnace into the concrete, pops up about 3" out by the A/C unit.

You just described your trap.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
You just described your trap.
Straight ( meaning slight pitch so water will run down hill) nothing that stops water from running down hill till it enters the concrete, course I can't See what's under ground. No visible vent either.
Closed Thread

Tags
drain, pressure, water, blow, hose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.