Anyone know of local competent handyman who will work for $20-$25/hour??

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2020, 01:28 PM
Default Anyone know of local competent handyman who will work for $20-$25/hour??

I need a guy to do some really basic stuff. So far most of the companies I've contacted want to charge "by the job", and the prices they are quoting are CRAZY expensive! I did find one company (Doc's Restoration) who charges by the hour--$110 for the first hour and $85/hour pro-rated after that.

Anyone know of a local, competent, "jack of all trades" kind of guy who works for more reasonable rates?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

It’s called the loaded labor rate truck, license, tools, benefits, insurance including workman’s comp.
Anyone working @ $20-$25 probably has no insurance liability or workman’s comp and no license. I have interviewed many small businesses for work at my home and many claim they are licensed and insured can not submit proof.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Try Aloha Larry, 561-239-0797.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Please remember you often get what you paid for. Would try any new guy with relatively simple work that would be hard to make a mess out of.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
I need a guy to do some really basic stuff. So far most of the companies I've contacted want to charge "by the job", and the prices they are quoting are CRAZY expensive! I did find one company (Doc's Restoration) who charges by the hour--$110 for the first hour and $85/hour pro-rated after that.

Anyone know of a local, competent, "jack of all trades" kind of guy who works for more reasonable rates?
Yes indeed " Doc's Restorations " he started in the small plaza near Bargains and Treasures near the railroad tracks on CR466.

His hourly rate is crazy. What you are looking for and the $$ amount is well good luck with that, $30.00 - $ 40.00 is average. Be careful.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:31 AM
Sage

When I was involved in custom home/condo construction in Collier county, we had a simple rule of thumb with regard to small contractors : Good, Fast, Cheap....Pick 2.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Call Kirk he’s done work in my last couple of homes he can do anything he’s around $60 but you get what you pay for tell him Charlie O sent you from Fenney 3522706272
Old 09-20-2020, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

I could do it, but I can only work 3-4 hours a day, have to rest up for 3 days after each day I work and can't lift anything over 24 lbs. Oh, I have to take bathroom breaks every 20 mins.

Is it a deal?

I always say "if you're lucky, you get what you pay for"
Old 09-20-2020, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I could do it, but I can only work 3-4 hours a day, have to rest up for 3 days after each day I work and can't lift anything over 24 lbs. Oh, I have to take bathroom breaks every 20 mins.

Is it a deal?

I always say "if you're lucky, you get what you pay for"
Works for us our last one could not list more than 10 pounds.

Can you start 3 hours ago?
Old 09-23-2020, 11:50 AM

Stu from NYC: Definitely agree with you, anytime you hire a new handyman, always start them out with a few simple things in order to judge their skills / competency.

To everyone who replied "remember--you get what you pay for", and "anybody who will work for that won't have license, worker's comp., insurance, etc.--I'm not looking for someone to do truly skilled work, i.e., plumbing, roof work, a/c work, electrical work, and other such similar things that take specialized tools and/or knowledge & (ideally) years of training & experience.

I'm looking for a local "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of guy who can do simple things like:

Replace ceiling fans and fluorescent light fixtures
Hang an interior door
Replace window screens
Light pressure washing
Wash cars
Change oil and sharpen or replace blades in lawn mowers
Mow a lawn and do yard work like weeding, re-planting, trim shrubs, etc..
Clean and repaint exterior wooden decks
Install shelving in garage

I've got a large piece of property with several building on it, and can often give someone a full days work once every two weeks or so, so I'm looking for someone who I can create an ongoing relationship with, likely someone who has a full time job but who would like to earn some side-money.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't think any of the jobs above are so difficult or complicated that would necessitate hiring someone who is licensed and insured. Maybe $20-$25/hour is too low in this area, but $40-$50+ for this type of (relatively) unskilled labor seems crazy to me.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

As the saying goes, you can only have two of these three: good/cheap/fast

The last retired Villager handyman we had charged $30/hour but took almost half a day to install a bathroom light fixture, repair the lamppost light, stick up a new smoke detector, and replace two burned out ceiling bulbs. (We can't climb ladders anymore.) His charged time included several long cigarette breaks out in his truck, plus stopping work to chat our ears off for 15 minutes at a time.

The franchise places are twice as expensive but do their jobs efficiently and correctly.

Hiring a second person to fix the first one's mistakes just creates more frustration. The last competent handyman we had was good and cheap, but in line with the rules, it's now impossible to schedule him.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
Stu from NYC: Definitely agree with you, anytime you hire a new handyman, always start them out with a few simple things in order to judge their skills / competency.

To everyone who replied "remember--you get what you pay for", and "anybody who will work for that won't have license, worker's comp., insurance, etc.--I'm not looking for someone to do truly skilled work, i.e., plumbing, roof work, a/c work, electrical work, and other such similar things that take specialized tools and/or knowledge & (ideally) years of training & experience.

I'm looking for a local "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of guy who can do simple things like:

Replace ceiling fans and fluorescent light fixtures
Hang an interior door
Replace window screens
Light pressure washing
Wash cars
Change oil and sharpen or replace blades in lawn mowers
Mow a lawn and do yard work like weeding, re-planting, trim shrubs, etc..
Clean and repaint exterior wooden decks
Install shelving in garage

I've got a large piece of property with several building on it, and can often give someone a full days work once every two weeks or so, so I'm looking for someone who I can create an ongoing relationship with, likely someone who has a full time job but who would like to earn some side-money.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't think any of the jobs above are so difficult or complicated that would necessitate hiring someone who is licensed and insured. Maybe $20-$25/hour is too low in this area, but $40-$50+ for this type of (relatively) unskilled labor seems crazy to me.
Keep in mind that there is NO license that covers all the tasks you want to have completed. If you do find someone to work at the low rate you are looking for, he will most likely not be insured. follow him around with a pillow, because if he falls and gets hurt, he could wind up owning your home.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

up north the firemen use to do the type of work you listed for folks on their days off

might want to check that option out
Old 09-24-2020, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
As the saying goes, you can only have two of these three: good/cheap/fast

The last retired Villager handyman we had charged $30/hour but took almost half a day to install a bathroom light fixture, repair the lamppost light, stick up a new smoke detector, and replace two burned out ceiling bulbs. (We can't climb ladders anymore.) His charged time included several long cigarette breaks out in his truck, plus stopping work to chat our ears off for 15 minutes at a time.

The franchise places are twice as expensive but do their jobs efficiently and correctly.

Hiring a second person to fix the first one's mistakes just creates more frustration. The last competent handyman we had was good and cheap, but in line with the rules, it's now impossible to schedule him.
I believe you are looking for at least two different people.

For yard work you need landscaping/mowing company. Would ask neighbors for recommendation.

For everything else need a handyman but sorry have no recommendation as I believe guy we are using might be retiring shortly.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Tony, Mr. Fix it....1-941-780-1105
Closed Thread

Tags
guy, local, competent, hour, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.