Blind mosquitoes or other bugs on house

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts
Default Blind mosquitoes or other bugs on house

The front corner of our house gets coated with bug stuff, which I need to power wash several times per year. Prior research indicated that the CFL post light might be attracting these little critters. Changed the bulb to a LED (yellowish white light), as Internet info indicated this might help. Not really....
In any case, if anyone has found a solution to this problem, please let me know, thank you.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I wish I had an idea because you are our go to guy. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:13 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Dave,
They say that an LED light with a K rating of less than 3000 K will attract less bugs....I have not found that to be overwhelmingly accurate. The money I save using the LED lights help pay for the brooms and the water we must use to pressure them off....

I guess the way I see it is that the blind mosquitoes, lovebugs and those little caterpillar bugs are the price we pay for never having to shovel snow or scrape a windshield again...

Florida is a unique place. We never had "Mud Daubers", love bugs, etc before (up north). In my inspections I always find bug nests, wasps, mud daubers, etc in the outside receptacle boxes, behind the screens of the microwave vent, etc. Lately I have been finding a lot of paper wasp nests in these places...folks never check or clean these places.....

Blind mosquitoes only live as an adult for 2-4 days because they have no mouths. They are more attracted to lighter colored homes. They swarm at night, so keeping outdoor lights off or the use of the "bug lights" may help. I do not know this, but I am guessing they are not really blind, as they are attracted to light, but who knows...i'm not a bug guy. I read an article that stated one season many years ago folks were using snow shovels to shovel the dead blind mosquitoes off sidewalks, etc because they were up to 3 feet thick. The good news is that they do not bite and the season for them ends in November.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Sage

Thanks for the info, I have inquired with ARC to see if there is a restriction on the color of the post light, if not, I am going to try a bug light. As for the LED lamp, yes I used one that is supposed to have limited UV (which attracts bugs), and like your experience, it did not do much.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The front corner of our house gets coated with bug stuff, which I need to power wash several times per year. Prior research indicated that the CFL post light might be attracting these little critters. Changed the bulb to a LED (yellowish white light), as Internet info indicated this might help. Not really....
In any case, if anyone has found a solution to this problem, please let me know, thank you.

I had the same problem. Took the rear facing glass piece out of the lawn light and wrapped it in aluminum foil. Placed it back in the lamp and the problem with bugs on the house is better. Not perfect, but better.

I put a GREEN bulb in for November. Starting to see a few more.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 PM

We had a problem with them on our lanai screen. I. used Dawn dishwashing detergent mixed with water in a spray bottle. I sprayed it twice and haven't seen them since.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Sage

WOW, Thank you for the suggestions. I am planning on power washing tomorrow, will try the dawn and will look into the aluminum foil. I may try a yellow filter if I can find it. That would avoid the yellow light in the post lamp, but would have yellow toward the house.
It is great when fellow villagers provide this type of help.
VT
Old 11-08-2015, 08:12 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I have also read that since they swarm at night, closing your blinds and leaving outside lights off can help. Many in my neighborhood blacken or put foil on the portion of the post light facing the house so it does not shine towards the house.

Tags
light, house, internet, info, white, mosquitoes, yellowish, changed, critters, bulb, led, problem, solution, case, found, stuff, bug, coated, corner, front, power, wash, cfl, post, blind

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.