Carpet measuring and installation help !

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Default Carpet measuring and installation help !

Has anyone had this experience: Looking to have carpeting replaced in "Camellia" (I think !) model. Has large open area of living, dining, den. Talked with 3 different retailers in area. They all measured and the results were WILDLY different. Went to talk to each so I could better understand the intricacies of how the measurements could differ by so much, check to see if there might be any misunderstanding of what I want done, discuss the possibility that one was for 12' vrs 15' width, what "installation" price actually means, etc. Not one single place was able to answer the DIRECT question "How much do you charge if you move furniture as opposed to completely empty rooms ?" All answers were really "non" answers and all three were very different "non" answers. One big box store said "actually there is no difference if the room is empty or not, 5 pieces of furniture moving is automatic in every price regardless". This seemed very odd ? Another told me (when I inquired about pad QUALITY), "we ONLY use the high quality 8# pad". When I asked if there are other qualities I was told, "yes, there are two types, 6# and 8#, but no one uses the #6 so the price only includes 8#". I could not adequately articulate what I was trying to ask; trying to ask if there is any quality rating ABOVE #8, or if those are the only two official ways padding is designated ? Two of the three places I went to and had come and measure gave me the following: $3400 from one, $ 4860 from another, both of these were for carpet priced at $4.68 which included "installation" but not padding ($.89 or $1.12 depending). What "installation" meant was hard to determine, price included removing old carpet and moving furniture even if neither of these apply ? The more I shop the more I find there is no common vocabulary, or for that matter, measurements of the very same area ! NEED ADVICE, anyone else had this experience ??? I have taught high school and some university math, so I do understand square feet, area, linear feet, square yards, etc. etc.

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 05-22-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: clarity
Closed Thread

Tags
installation, area, price, quality, carpet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.