Carport Ceiling problem...

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Default Carport Ceiling problem...

Hi, we have a prefab home on the Historic Side. The carport ceiling looks like it was made from several pieces of drywall (and a handy man told me that this was the case). Anyway, it is beginning to sag & the seams look like they are separating. Has anyone else had this type of problem? And if so, what type of material is code for this carport that is exposed to the weather? It looks like I will have to replace it in the future.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 AM

I own a home on the Historic side and just repaired a small section of my carport that was ripped off due to the wind. My carport along with most all the carports up here are constructed of 12" wide by 3" tall metal roof/ceiling panels joined together one at a time. Mid Florida Metal roofing co. carries this material 352-742-7070.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Lowes also carries these metal panels. These things kind of snap together. Unless you fill the valleys with Styrofoam and sheet on top of that then cover with roofing (like membrane) it won't be entirely leak proof. Almost leak proof but water can find its way into those seams in a driving rain. If it is just a carport (not some sort of lanai or screen room) I would take the drywall down. BUT you have to figure out how the drywall is mounted. If someone simply put sheet metal screws thru the drywall into the pans you are going to end up with a bunch of holes. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Thanks!

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
carport, problem, type, ceiling, separating

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.