Diy

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned
Default Diy

Is there a thread for Do It Yourselfers? It seems everyone want's to find somebody to do what ever they need. I personally really enjoy doing things with my own hands and often my own designs. I can usually do it better, maybe slower but better.

For instance I did my own kitchen back splash using stone tiles. I had some very good advice from Eddy at Floor Masters for materials and certain technics. He even loaned me a wet saw N/C. I did my own attic stair design because the factory made stairs are so flimsy and I think dangerous.

I would like to see a thread for DIY. Anybody else?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Platinum member

Very good idea! I share your interest in DIY problem solving. Some threads in the past, (one about glass front door inserts comes to mind), contain suggestions and even step-by-step instructions for how to do a project well for lots less than contractors charge. But there doesn't seem to be very much positive feedback from folks who acted on the suggestions.

A specific "DIY" thread might generate more interest and convince more people of what they can accomplish themselves.

Do you have a project you can describe?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I'd like a thread like that!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default VERY GOOD IDEA...I think!

I am certainly not on your level of do it yourselfness, but we did a lot of things in our new house ourselves that others hired done. We painted and installed cabinets in the laundry room and I made draperies and my husband installed blinds and drapery rods.

WE really like to do things ourselves if we can, just for the pure feeling of accomplishment, I guess. (PLUS, it really saves money!)

I think it could somehow be in the same group of listings as decorating a home. Kind of a HGTV for TV. (Home and Garden for The Villagers!)

EVEN if you don't do it completely by yourself, it still is interesting to me, and I bet to a lot of us, to see the things that people have done by themselves or even hired done to make their homes better, more interesting, comfortable and beautiful.

JUST edited and added....Does anyone know how to get the windows here CLEAN without streaks? I have tried Windex and dishwashing liquid and water, both work for me up North...and still when the sun comes in they look all streaked.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-26-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned
Default DIY Project

I would be happy to describe my projects in some detail. I am glade to see the earlier post with positive comments. I will do that if we can start a DIY thread. Trying to add DIY projects to other threads would not work very well as they would get lost in the mix.

There are many projects that can be handled by a handy person that are kind of specific to TV. I think in no time we would have a library of very common project peculiar to TV.

You are right GG some projects can be a mix of your own handy work and the pros.

I want to do the glass door insert so I would like DIY info on that project if it were available.

Some will say that it is very economical to pay someone here to do the work. That is true we have a very competitive group of laborers and contractors but it is very rewarding to Do It Youself. Many times it can be financially rewarding as well. The really kewl thing is you can do your own designs.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Count me in. I enjoy DIY projects and would like to contribute along with seeing what others have done.
Village of Largo
Lakeside Landings
Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM

Home projects definately provide a nice feeling of accomplishment when the work is completed. Although we are still wannabes, I envision myself in a 2 or 3 bedroom CYV. However, we do not like the laundry facilities in the garage. If the second bedroom is adjacent to a bathroom (or the garage) where there is plumbing in that common wall, then I have plans and designs to install a 'laundry closet' to house the laundry appliances. It is these custom projects in which you can do your own designs and will be financially rewarding also.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Gold member

I agree. We need more than a thread, however. As stated above, a single thread will be impossible to navigate to find a particular topic. We need yet another forum to allow each topic to have its own thread. If there is resistance to a new forum, perhaps the existing "Contractors and Services" forum could be renamed to something like "Contractors, Services and DIY Projects" - although I would prefer the seperate forum for DIY.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Gracegirl,
I owned a commercial window cleaning company here in VA for 20 years..Here is the "secret" to streak free window washing. Use 1 part ammonia to two parts water, scrub window down ( if it has hard water stains, use a soft 000 steel wool pad that you can get at any depot or paint store, making sure no soap is in it, just plain ,, it will not scratch I promise!) and then squeege! The squeege is the key. I know folks like newspaper, chamois, etc but a rubber squeege you can get at any lowes, etc works the very best and is the key to streak free. Whatever you do, no windex! If you look at the ingredients, it has a form of carnuba wax in it to give you the original "shine"that also turns into streaks! Good luck!
Old 02-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

[ As stated above, a single thread will be impossible to navigate to find a particular topic. We need yet another forum to allow each topic to have its own thread.

Yep that is what I mean a seperate Forum. I am technically challenged when it comes to computer jargon. I can't spell either so you all will have to bear with me. Another problem, I can't down load the spell checker.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
Gracegirl,
I owned a commercial window cleaning company here in VA for 20 years..Here is the "secret" to streak free window washing. Use 1 part ammonia to two parts water, scrub window down ( if it has hard water stains, use a soft 000 steel wool pad that you can get at any depot or paint store, making sure no soap is in it, just plain ,, it will not scratch I promise!) and then squeege! The squeege is the key. I know folks like newspaper, chamois, etc but a rubber squeege you can get at any lowes, etc works the very best and is the key to streak free. Whatever you do, no windex! If you look at the ingredients, it has a form of carnuba wax in it to give you the original "shine"that also turns into streaks! Good luck!
Thank you VERY much. I am sure that many have had the same question. The worst smeary look are the big ones to the lanai where the evening sun comes straight in. I appreciate your answer very much!

A project that I have had on my list to learn to do is to frame my own canvases. I know that you need a miter box and that part seems clear, the cutting of the boards, but I don't know how you brad them, nail them together and how you attach the frame to a canvas. ( I paint...pictures that is) Glass is not needed so that simplifies things a lot. I just didn't have the courage to walk into such a male domain as the woodworking shop.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Default You have a good idea

Lincoln, you have a good idea here, I would like to lean to redo some of my old screens and I know I can help other people out with other projects they have. we should strat some kind of club.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

A club is a really good idea. We all have some skill, but none of us has all skills. I know electrical and how to hang cabinets, but struggle with plants and shrubs and someone else may know how to repair carpet. A club with helping hands for some projects would be great. Also would not require us all to have all the special tools. You need a basin wrench once every 3 years, so not everyone would need one. Also some projects like hanging new cabinets in a laundry room can be done by one person, but it sure is a lot easier with two.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 PM

I have tons of tools and this would be a great thing for everyone, I for one would be very interested. Lincoln look what you started...
Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage
Default Windows and a Forum

Wlou, I too appreciate your advice on window cleaning. In Atlanta, I don't seem to have an issue. But for some reason, at TV, I haven't been able to clean a window or mirror without leaving streaks! Maybe it's the hard water? I don't know, but I'm definitely going to use your remedy when I come down in April.

DIY Forum:
I like the idea. I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer. Wish I were, I'm just not talented that way. Nonetheless I can see how a separate forum would add value for DIYers. I feel a little bad saying this since I was "on the fence" about creating a separate forum on another topic. However, this seems different. Actionable ideas are harder to find when spread among various threads in different forums. I like it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.