Cleaning laminate flooring?

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Sage
Smile

We started using glass plus (no ammonia) which was recommended by Floormasters. It seems to leave a build-up and when you walk barefoot it leaves footprints. I did some research on the internet and Bona was highly recommended. I found it on Amazon. The first time I used it I had to use towels wrapped on my swiffer to get the build-up off. Now I use a microfiber mop and spritz the Bona and my piano mirror finish laminate floors shine fabulously.

I do feel sorry for those with pets with the wet paws and hair because I've been there with my cat. I think by making sure the paws are dry before they come in the house is about the only way to deal with that. Of course the slobber is another story.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Don't use a steamer on laminate. Get the bona mop at Ace Hardware along with the bona solution or just use vinegar and water in a spray bottle. The mop is so easy to handle and the mop head is velcrose and can be washed as much as needed.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Gold member

Most of the chemical cleaners will leave a residue that will build up over time. Vinegar and water will not and the air in your home will be safer.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Sage

Sorry to go against what you recommend, but I used water and vinegar on my laminate and it left a film that was pretty bad when you walked on the floor you could see your feet prints. That is when I went on line and did some research and found Bona and I couldn't be happier. Maybe try a small area first before committing to the vinegar and water.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Again ask the people where you purchase your flooring on what they recommend for cleaning. We got ours through FloorMasters and I'm thinking they said not to steam!! You could even call around to the various places as well to find out then decide what you'll do with yours.
I steamed my laminate flooring back in NM for years and never had a problem. Just don't hold it in any one place for very long and get a GOOD steamer that does not leak water. I have used the Hahn models for a long time. The people who installed them said we HAD to use the product they sold (very expensive). So I thought about it and realized they were going to sell me a product, so why say a steamer would work?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Gold member
Default Laminate flooring

They make products you just spray on and wipe it clean. Even Pledge makes one now. Good luck. YOu'll love your new floor!!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 PM

Our laminate installer told us to use 10 parts water to 1 vinegar. I made up a batch in a spray bottle for spot cleaning. It works well and makes the floors shine.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.