Coaxial cable to outside wall

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts
Default Coaxial cable to outside wall

Has anybody attempted to move coaxial cable through the attic to outside wall in living room in cinder block CYV? we would like to move the furniture around and move the TV to other side of the room. Guess I could have the cable company come route and drill hole in the out side wall, but really don't want to do this. I done it before in walls but not the outside walls which I think insulation will probably be problem?

I also have high ceilings, so I'm sure that will create even more of tight squeeze drilling through the top outside wall rail between studs which I think are metal that holds the dry wall up?

Any thoughts? Try to hold back the negativity LOL!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Sage
Default Coaxial cable to outside wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Has anybody attempted to move coaxial cable through the attic to outside wall in living room in cinder block CYV? we would like to move the furniture around and move the TV to other side of the room. Guess I could have the cable company come route and drill hole in the out side wall, but really don't want to do this. I done it before in walls but not the outside walls which I think insulation will probably be problem?

I also have high ceilings, so I'm sure that will create even more of tight squeeze drilling through the top outside wall rail between studs which I think are metal that holds the dry wall up?

If you have carpeting I would think about using plastic white wire mould and snake it around the bottom of your base mouldings. It would be barely detectable. The only penetration would be through your drywall, twice.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

It's a royal pain in a block home. The rigid insulation makes it a chore to fish wire or coax
Old 09-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You might want to contact Tom at VillagesAV.com. He may be able to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

Old 09-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Depending on the type of cable service you have, you may be able to get a wireless "cable" box. Comcast will be offering them soon. But, if you want to run your own cable, I would recommend that you not try to route it in the attic and inside of a concrete block wall. Run the cable from the main panel in the garage, along the exterior wall, and drill a hole through the exterior wall. This is really not very difficult, and you can easily seal the holes with caulking.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Lots of quality wireless stuff out there.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

I was thinking the gap between the blocks and dry wall. Should be 2 or 3 inch gap with the metal studs, which this should bring it inside the blocks, but, I don't know what on top of the metal studs 2 by 4 or ?.

I already contacted Comcast, wireless not available in our area and they don't have start up date. the only state it is in the test mode in ILLINOIS. I was there last week and my son had it, far as I could tell it worked great! No carpet. I guess the easiest route would running it outside from the cable box and drill hole. Area I was from most newer homes had cable, stereo, and coaxial hookups on all walls. Not really up on the latest wireless gadgets?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Default Comcast Streaming through Roku box.

Although Comcast may not yet have a "wireless" box, you CAN stream Comcast TV wirelessy through a Roku.

Here's the info.
XFINITY Stream Beta App on Roku FAQs

Although I do have a Comcast set top box, it's unplugged and in a drawer.

I have no direct cable TV connection from the outside world to my HDTV, but I stream wirelessy using the app mentioned in the link. And it's free to do this. Certainly worth a try.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

I had an additional outlet and a cable jack pulled to my lanai shortly after moving in to our CYV (poured concrete not cinder block, basically the same) by one of the electrical companies that advertise in the local paper. They pulled both through the attic out to the lanai and were done quickly and without issue. About $150 for each pull.

The down side is that the box set for both the cable and the power were both surface mount and had surface mount wire mold going to each. I painted these with the touchup paint that came with my home and they are out of sight now. Both were placed at about the 6 ft. level to service a TV on the lanai so between the paint, high location, and the TV they are not noticeable.

Save yourself the effort and hire someone to do the work, the attics are tight and hot, not a fun place to work.
Closed Thread

Tags
wall, move, cable, side, coaxial

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.