Cut the Cord

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Default Cut the Cord

It’s earnings season, and we are slowly getting a look at the number of TV subscribers each traditional pay-TV service is losing every month. So far, Comcast, AT&T, Spectrum, and Verizon Fios have reported losses totaling 669,000.
According to the earning reports, Verizon Fios lost 151,000 subscribers, Comcast lost 106,000 subscribers, Spectrum lost 66,000 subscribers, and AT&T lost 346,000 subscribers totaling 669,000 subscribers in the third quarter of 2018. This works out to 233,000 Americans canceling traditional pay-TV every month or about 7,700 people canceling cable TV every day. At this rate, just these four pay-TV providers will lose almost 2.8 million subscribers over the next year.

Cord Cutters News - All the news cord cutters need about cord cutting! Covering, Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Netflix, Hulu, & More!
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 10-26-2018, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

This link to Cord Cutters News is excellent. I have only just started reading through it, but I am amazed at the amount of easy to understand info it contains. I am into cutting the Cord, however I am running into some real hesitation from the person who shares my life! He needs to turn on the box and have what he wants to watch right in front of him! It is hard to wrap your head around technology if you are not really into it. I shall persevere.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Lots of great info.….sometimes people find change difficult......good luck!
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 10-27-2018, 07:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

I sure can understand cutting the Comcast cord. Worst service ever!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

For Comcast, 106,000 cable customers reprsents only 1 in 200 customers. Also, during the same period, they added 363,000 Internet customers. So, I wouldn't count them out just yet. Also, the streaming service companies are providing essentially the same product as the cable companies. The only real difference is the cost. So, the changes noted are just a result of price competition.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Default Xfinity aka Comcast GONE

I just removed my xfinity and replaced it with Century Link fiber 1gb internet service. They gave free install, free modem and router, and $65 per month. I subscribe to Direct TV Now, Netflix, and Prime video. I stream them with an Apple Tv, Amazon Firestick, and a Roku Ultra. Wonderful performance and more than 70 live channels including all locals. The $65 per month is guaranteed to NEVER increase. No contract. Total cost to install $65.

Very happy speeds are somewhere about 300 mbps. I play video games, watch TV, use Alexa, listen to Amazon Music and Pandora, surf the web, get email, etc. No problem buffering or having plenty of bandwidth speed.

I have three TVs, two Xboxes, Alexa, Google Home, wifi light bulbs and switches, two MacBooks, and an iPad.

Direct TV Now is a streaming service with 65 channels costing $40/month plus Netflix and I am an Amazon Prime customer.

Last edited by nmpettus; 02-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Would love to have you share your experience at the next Villages Cord Cutters Club meeting, Tuesday, March 12th @ 1:00 pm at the Colony Cottage Recreation Center. We have 570+ members that have joined since December. Email me a v3c2018@gmail.com for information.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I have decided to wait a little while longer to "cut the cord".
All of the different alternatives/options are in their infancy. Like the cable business did, they will get bigger, they will standardize offerings, hence more stuff one doesn't need, new equipment to service the growth all resulting in increasing prices....see Direct TV Now changes.

I am one of those who would like an alternative but have not found any one or combination that offers the convenience of current cable/satellite capability.

It will shake out and the new and better will evolve.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina
Default Comcast Starting to Throttle Down Streaming?

I think I will soon be out of streaming options. I have Amazon Prime, Playstation Vue, and Netflix. In the past week or so, I can only watch 10-20 minutes of any of these before I get a black screen and have to re-set everything. Has anybody else noticed this? I have Comcast Internet.

Henry A. Kissinger
Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I sure can understand cutting the Comcast cord. Worst service ever!
My greatest joy was walking into Comcast with my box of "stuff", with comcast name outside of box with circle around name and giant slash, oh happy day, oh happy day!...Now if I could figure out how to drop their wifi, I'd be a happy camper, unfortunately an antenna is not the answer in our tree lined streets,
Old 03-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
My greatest joy was walking into Comcast with my box of "stuff", with comcast name outside of box with circle around name and giant slash, oh happy day, oh happy day!...Now if I could figure out how to drop their wifi, I'd be a happy camper, unfortunately an antenna is not the answer in our tree lined streets,
Have you checked with Century Link to see if you have fiber optic on your street?

See post #6

I have it and love it. $45.00 even a month for life.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Have you checked with Century Link to see if you have fiber optic on your street?

See post #6

Checked web site...not available (in our village).
Old 03-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
I think I will soon be out of streaming options. I have Amazon Prime, Playstation Vue, and Netflix. In the past week or so, I can only watch 10-20 minutes of any of these before I get a black screen and have to re-set everything. Has anybody else noticed this? I have Comcast Internet.
We have Comcast and stream YouTubetv, Netflix and Amazon with Chromecast devices and haven’t experienced any problems.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

See post #6

We can get Century link BUT have been told, speed is slower than comcast.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We can get Century link BUT have been told, speed is slower than comcast.
Not Century Link over copper wire..... Century Link Fiber Optics. Big difference! I went from Century Link DSL to Fiber Optics. As it turns out it was on the street already they just had to bring it into our house. Had the land line phone taken out at the same time and the C/L bill went down over $20.00 ( it was unplugged from the wall most of the time anyway.) Tried streaming the next day and liked it. You know what came next..... I made the trip to ComCast with a large box of their equipment and never looked back.
Closed Thread

Tags
subscribers, lost, pay-tv, totaling, traditional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.