Cut the Cord

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,372 Times in 3,050 Posts

Why do you need television at all? Or HBO? You can cut the cord and not get any of those things, and just watch the local network subsidiary station. You don't need all those other channels.

Or - maybe you have criteria and want certain things. Does it matter WHY you want those certain things? Would the reason change the outcome? I want 150mb minimum because I want 150mb minimum.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Why do you need television at all? Or HBO? You can cut the cord and not get any of those things, and just watch the local network subsidiary station. You don't need all those other channels.

Or - maybe you have criteria and want certain things. Does it matter WHY you want those certain things? Would the reason change the outcome? I want 150mb minimum because I want 150mb minimum.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:10 PM
Sage

Whatever. I don’t see a need for you to obsess over this. I asked a question and you don’t have an answer. I suggest you just let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Sage

Here's your answer: because I don't need the 1gb that I'm currently getting. 150mb is sufficient, and that seems to be the speed that is the most cost-efficient when looking at various bundles and plans on various internet company websites. My computer can do far greater than that, and so can my gaming laptop. But I'm not married to gig speed. I had frontier DSL at one point, and the speed was 25mb, and it was so slow and clunky and nothing synced properly. When I switched to xfnity, it immediately bumped to 80mg and I saw a vast improvement. Then they bumped me to 150, which was even more improved than that. They kept bumping me up to higher speeds but I couldn't notice any particular difference in viewing ability between the 150 and the 250, the 400, or the 1gb. And so - 150 is the speed I want.

Now - do you have an actual answer to my question, or are you just being incredibly nosey?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Sage

Told ya!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

We have Spectrum here in TV for both television and internet. At our second home, we have Direct TV and At&T for the internet. At&T is our provider for our cell phones. Of course we can put cable and internet on vacation when we are not using the location of the service. This setup works for us and is very convenient. We get sports for me and movie channels that wife enjoys. Could we save a few dollars by “cutting the cord”,yes, would it be as convenient or would we have all the various options we have now, No. Most of us have some sort of budget which determines our spending practices. Some live in expensive large houses for just two people, some drive expensive cars, some have other expensive toys like boats, fancy golf carts, and others spend their dollars on travel etc. etc. Finally, some like to figure out a “better way” to get their television program options by “streaming”. Good for them.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to rick2071

Is your devices behind the tv? If so they heat up and start to act up
Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Just got notification from DirecTV Now. Live a little package being eliminated. If you have it now you can keep it but the price rises $10/ month next month. They have only two new packages and eliminated all others. Both have less channels than the live a little a little package however HBO is included - a $50 and a $70/month package. My package has increased from $35/month to $50/month since June 2018. There are some very obvious channels being left out of the new line up - example Discovery and HGTV.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Just got notification from DirecTV Now. Live a little package being eliminated. If you have it now you can keep it but the price rises $10/ month next month. They have only two new packages and eliminated all others. Both have less channels than the live a little a little package however HBO is included - a $50 and a $70/month package. My package has increased from $35/month to $50/month since June 2018. There are some very obvious channels being left out of the new line up - example Discovery and HGTV.
Rusty, Youtube & Philo total $60 and give you Discovery, HGTV, History, Local, Sports. I'm happy with it and hope it helps you out. Good Luck. I'm extra impressed with Youtube TV, Unlimited storage on recording stuff. No HBO though. We changed to Netflix and found it is way better Than HBO unless you are following one show.

I share the Youtube with my son and he shares his Netflix with me all legit but of course, I'm paying for the higher priced of the two. We also get Showtime when Ray Donavan is on, what a show, reminds me of the old home.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Hard to believe someone can make COMCRAP start to look good..... but DirecTV Now is trying. I'm POed.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Rusty, Youtube & Philo total $60 and give you Discovery, HGTV, History, Local, Sports. I'm happy with it and hope it helps you out. Good Luck. I'm extra impressed with Youtube TV, Unlimited storage on recording stuff. No HBO though. We changed to Netflix and found it is way better Than HBO unless you are following one show.

I share the Youtube with my son and he shares his Netflix with me all legit but of course, I'm paying for the higher priced of the two. We also get Showtime when Ray Donavan is on, what a show, reminds me of the old home.
Nucky - I might be asking for some info. when I decide what I will be doing with DirecTV Now. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Update - looking what DirecTV Now has removed is unbelievable. I love streaming and love the cost more. For a year now I have been bragging about how cheap it is compared to cable and satellite. DirecTv Now has just totally removed Discovery, HGTV, A&E, AMC, Comedy Central, Food Network, Hallmark Movies, History, Lifetime and many others from any of their packages. Great to have no contracts but if this is a sign of the times to come I'm leary we are heading right back to same old bait and switch games.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Nucky - I might be asking for some info. when I decide what I will be doing with DirecTV Now. Thanks.
The Student (Me) helping the teacher. I would love to help you. When I stopped dealing with DirecTV through the satellite service and then used them for streaming the first month there were too many similarities when trying to solve problems with billing and getting help with technical assistance.

The really great thing about YouTube TV is knock on wood there are no service issues. I love it. At twice the price I would probably keep it.

Tomorrow my new Fire Tv Stick is supposed to arrive. I have the first edition from years ago and it works but now that I have a clue I want to have better up to date equipment.

Just got a friend from somewhere around $220 or $240 a month for the Triple Package with Comcast down to $90 including his Comcast internet charge and it will be less when we hook up his Motorola router.

Just let me know. Give Cord Cutters a shot on the internet. They send valuable info that helps you to make good decisions on what service is best for you.

If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have gotten into this, thanks CW!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The Student (Me) helping the teacher. I would love to help you. When I stopped dealing with DirecTV through the satellite service and then used them for streaming the first month there were too many similarities when trying to solve problems with billing and getting help with technical assistance.

The really great thing about YouTube TV is knock on wood there are no service issues. I love it. At twice the price I would probably keep it.

Tomorrow my new Fire Tv Stick is supposed to arrive. I have the first edition from years ago and it works but now that I have a clue I want to have better up to date equipment.

Just got a friend from somewhere around $220 or $240 a month for the Triple Package with Comcast down to $90 including his Comcast internet charge and it will be less when we hook up his Motorola router.

Just let me know. Give Cord Cutters a shot on the internet. They send valuable info that helps you to make good decisions on what service is best for you.

If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have gotten into this, thanks CW!
The bolded is what I was asking about previously. The gateway/router for the wifi has to be connected via a phone jack, so that means he'd also need his phone service.

And then instead of the Triple Play with TV, he'd get just the wifi and phone through Xfinity (Comcast), and swap out the cable TV with the Firestick or Roku or whichever else, which turns his normal HDTV set into an internet video streaming monitor? Am I understanding this right?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:43 PM
Location: 50 years NE Ohio (Cleveland), 12 years Midland MI, Now The Villages Fenney since 2018
Default Local Channel WESH NBC and cord cutting antenna success

To cord cut I still want to receive local channels especially NBC WESH, band VHF, virtual channel 02.1, DTV channel 11. By using an appropriate VHF antenna nad booster I can get a good signal heading ~107 degrees 75 percent of the time. This is not acceptable. Has anyone had any better luck with this channel?
Closed Thread

Tags
subscribers, lost, pay-tv, totaling, traditional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.