Cut the Cord

Cut the Cord

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
My greatest joy was walking into Comcast with my box of "stuff", with comcast name outside of box with circle around name and giant slash, oh happy day, oh happy day!...Now if I could figure out how to drop their wifi, I'd be a happy camper, unfortunately an antenna is not the answer in our tree lined streets,
Have you checked with Century Link to see if you have fiber optic on your street?

See post #6

I have it and love it. $45.00 even a month for life.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Have you checked with Century Link to see if you have fiber optic on your street?

See post #6

Checked web site...not available (in our village).
Old 03-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
I think I will soon be out of streaming options. I have Amazon Prime, Playstation Vue, and Netflix. In the past week or so, I can only watch 10-20 minutes of any of these before I get a black screen and have to re-set everything. Has anybody else noticed this? I have Comcast Internet.
We have Comcast and stream YouTubetv, Netflix and Amazon with Chromecast devices and haven’t experienced any problems.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:

See post #6

We can get Century link BUT have been told, speed is slower than comcast.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We can get Century link BUT have been told, speed is slower than comcast.
Not Century Link over copper wire..... Century Link Fiber Optics. Big difference! I went from Century Link DSL to Fiber Optics. As it turns out it was on the street already they just had to bring it into our house. Had the land line phone taken out at the same time and the C/L bill went down over $20.00 ( it was unplugged from the wall most of the time anyway.) Tried streaming the next day and liked it. You know what came next..... I made the trip to ComCast with a large box of their equipment and never looked back.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Don't know if we're candidates for cutting the cord. We are sports fanatics. We plan our social life around the Red Sox,Bruins & Patriots. From what I understand streaming sports is only available for local teams. Especially NFL games. We have Direct TV and very rarely miss any of these 3 teams when they're playing. Could someone please inform me whether I'm right about sports streaming...Thank You

Worcester (Wistah) Massachusetts-52 years
The Village Of Amelia The Villages Fl -September 09-
June 10, 2013 Gilchrist
The Village of McClure November 7th ,2018
We are "Frogs" as of 08-21-2011
Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Don't know if we're candidates for cutting the cord. We are sports fanatics. We plan our social life around the Red Sox,Bruins & Patriots. From what I understand streaming sports is only available for local teams. Especially NFL games. We have Direct TV and very rarely miss any of these 3 teams when they're playing. Could someone please inform me whether I'm right about sports streaming...Thank You
What channels are you watching your teams on? Check some steaming services and see if they carry those channels. Let us know.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Gold member

My husband is married to The Golf Channel. So if these cord-cutting doodads don't let him watch that ONE channel, the entire deal is off. It's crazy how a single channel can hook someone into a $200 service. We get home phone, 1gb internet, a gazillion channel cable with all the premium options plus netflix. We've had problems recently with these lower-numbered channels - the golf channel only works on one TV but not the one with the HD box and they want to bring someone into the house to check it out. We're not letting them do THAT again - the last time they did it they spent hours and hours poking around our house, and didn't fix what they came for.

We want to cut the cord but he won't ditch the Golf Channel.

I'd be fine with just decent cable internet and old fashioned network TV, with a DVD player we can rent movies with if we really wanted to watch a movie that normally would be on a premium channel. I'm not much of a TV person. I like Survivor, that's about it.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
What channels are you watching your teams on? Check some steaming services and see if they carry those channels. Let us know.
Red Sox & Bruins on YouTube TV. We use Phillo as the other paid station. Total $59 a month, Comcast 25 Jiggawatts for sit down, $19.99 a month, I bought my own Router. When the First Year is up we'll open up a new account under one of our Daughter in Laws Maiden Names and start all over for a year if they don't keep us at the Starter rate which I bet they will do. You have to start off that you will quit if they don't do what you need them to do, if you are weak they will roll over you.

Bosox, buy a Roku and experiment while you keep what you have at the very worst you'll add free channels to your library and if you have Prime from Amazon forgetabouit, you'll be set.

Patriots CBS All Access no extra charge. I'll help you if you need a hand. Just feed the pup before I show up!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
My husband is married to The Golf Channel. So if these cord-cutting doodads don't let him watch that ONE channel, the entire deal is off. It's crazy how a single channel can hook someone into a $200 service. We get home phone, 1gb internet, a gazillion channel cable with all the premium options plus netflix. We've had problems recently with these lower-numbered channels - the golf channel only works on one TV but not the one with the HD box and they want to bring someone into the house to check it out. We're not letting them do THAT again - the last time they did it they spent hours and hours poking around our house, and didn't fix what they came for.

We want to cut the cord but he won't ditch the Golf Channel.

I'd be fine with just decent cable internet and old fashioned network TV, with a DVD player we can rent movies with if we really wanted to watch a movie that normally would be on a premium channel. I'm not much of a TV person. I like Survivor, that's about it.
I have the Golf Channel on DirectTVNow. $65 Plan. 105 channels.

DIRECTV NOW Packages & Pricing | Plans Start at $40

Tags
subscribers, lost, pay-tv, totaling, traditional