Cut the Cord

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Bosoxfan

Don't know if we're candidates for cutting the cord. We are sports fanatics. We plan our social life around the Red Sox,Bruins & Patriots. From what I understand streaming sports is only available for local teams. Especially NFL games. We have Direct TV and very rarely miss any of these 3 teams when they're playing. Could someone please inform me whether I'm right about sports streaming...Thank You
Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Don't know if we're candidates for cutting the cord. We are sports fanatics. We plan our social life around the Red Sox,Bruins & Patriots. From what I understand streaming sports is only available for local teams. Especially NFL games. We have Direct TV and very rarely miss any of these 3 teams when they're playing. Could someone please inform me whether I'm right about sports streaming...Thank You
What channels are you watching your teams on? Check some steaming services and see if they carry those channels. Let us know.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

My husband is married to The Golf Channel. So if these cord-cutting doodads don't let him watch that ONE channel, the entire deal is off. It's crazy how a single channel can hook someone into a $200 service. We get home phone, 1gb internet, a gazillion channel cable with all the premium options plus netflix. We've had problems recently with these lower-numbered channels - the golf channel only works on one TV but not the one with the HD box and they want to bring someone into the house to check it out. We're not letting them do THAT again - the last time they did it they spent hours and hours poking around our house, and didn't fix what they came for.

We want to cut the cord but he won't ditch the Golf Channel.

I'd be fine with just decent cable internet and old fashioned network TV, with a DVD player we can rent movies with if we really wanted to watch a movie that normally would be on a premium channel. I'm not much of a TV person. I like Survivor, that's about it.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
What channels are you watching your teams on? Check some steaming services and see if they carry those channels. Let us know.
Red Sox & Bruins on YouTube TV. We use Phillo as the other paid station. Total $59 a month, Comcast 25 Jiggawatts for sit down, $19.99 a month, I bought my own Router. When the First Year is up we'll open up a new account under one of our Daughter in Laws Maiden Names and start all over for a year if they don't keep us at the Starter rate which I bet they will do. You have to start off that you will quit if they don't do what you need them to do, if you are weak they will roll over you.

Bosox, buy a Roku and experiment while you keep what you have at the very worst you'll add free channels to your library and if you have Prime from Amazon forgetabouit, you'll be set.

Patriots CBS All Access no extra charge. I'll help you if you need a hand. Just feed the pup before I show up!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
My husband is married to The Golf Channel. So if these cord-cutting doodads don't let him watch that ONE channel, the entire deal is off. It's crazy how a single channel can hook someone into a $200 service. We get home phone, 1gb internet, a gazillion channel cable with all the premium options plus netflix. We've had problems recently with these lower-numbered channels - the golf channel only works on one TV but not the one with the HD box and they want to bring someone into the house to check it out. We're not letting them do THAT again - the last time they did it they spent hours and hours poking around our house, and didn't fix what they came for.

I'd be fine with just decent cable internet and old fashioned network TV, with a DVD player we can rent movies with if we really wanted to watch a movie that normally would be on a premium channel. I'm not much of a TV person. I like Survivor, that's about it.
I have the Golf Channel on DirectTVNow. $65 Plan. 105 channels.

DIRECTV NOW Packages & Pricing | Plans Start at $40
Old 03-12-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:

Golf channel is on YouTubeTv, $45.00 month.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Golf channel is on YouTubeTv, $45.00 month.
Also hulu
Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I have the Golf Channel on DirectTVNow. $65 Plan. 105 channels.

DIRECTV NOW Packages & Pricing | Plans Start at $40
Right. But as I said, the package I have includes 1gb cable internet and landline. It also means access to any xfinity hotspot in the country - which means if I'm not home, and my home phone rings, and I'm in an xfinity hotspot, I can answer my home phone with any wifi-capable device I happen to have with me (cell phone, laptop, or tablet - I have all three).

You can't do that with just a TV package. I'm looking to compare the costs and options of the entire thing, not one piece of it to the whole.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Sage

Followup on previous post since it might not be clear:

How much are y'all paying for the COMBINATION of TV that includes the Golf Channel, PLUS high-speed internet, PLUS landline phone and national wifi access? (which also means if I'm not home in front of my Roku TV set, but I'm in a wifi zone I can watch that TV streaming on my laptop or tablet)
Old 03-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have decided to wait a little while longer to "cut the cord".
All of the different alternatives/options are in their infancy. Like the cable business did, they will get bigger, they will standardize offerings, hence more stuff one doesn't need, new equipment to service the growth all resulting in increasing prices....see Direct TV Now changes.

I am one of those who would like an alternative but have not found any one or combination that offers the convenience of current cable/satellite capability.

It will shake out and the new and better will evolve.

I agree that things will change with cable and streaming. Instead of waiting, I cut the cord and went with DirectTvNow. Even with their proposed $10 month increase, I'm saving $80 month over cable. There's no contract with the streamers, so I can cancel at any time. So I can easily go to another streamer or back to cable if their costs drop. In the meantime, I'm saving a lot of money.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

If you get a Firestick, go to Do It Yourself Tech Projects For Home & Small Business. He shows how to put apps on the Firestick.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Sage

So I took a look at Centurylink, DirectTV, and xfinity. With the criteria: MINIMUM 150mbps internet speed, TV lineup must include golf channel and all network stations, and voice phone service.

Turns out if I "cut the cord" and get DirectTV, then add internet and voice elsewhere (since DirectTV doesn't offer either of them), I'll be paying more than I would for the xfinity triple-play service in the Villages. Here in Connecticut this service is over $200 after fees and taxes. Down in the villages it'll be $139.99 plus fees and taxes, so likely around $165 after all is said and done. That's for TV, internet, and voice combined.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage

Why do you have a requirement for 150 megabits per second? 1080p streaming uses about 5 megabits per second of bandwidth. 4k streaming uses about 20 megabits per second of bandwidth. Compared with a lower bandwidth, say 40 megabits per second, web pages with extensive graphics may load slightly, perhaps imperceptibly, faster. When we first moved here 5 years ago, we started out with 10 megabits per second (download) and had no issues streaming 1080p to two sets simultaneously. We now have 80 megabits per second (download) because it hits a sweet spot in the CenturyLink pricing structure (one price for life for $45 total per month). It is way more bandwidth than we can use. I suspect most people overpay for more bandwidth than they could ever use.

Quote:
So I took a look at Centurylink, DirectTV, and xfinity. With the criteria: MINIMUM 150mbps internet speed, TV lineup must include golf channel and all network stations, and voice phone service.

Turns out if I "cut the cord" and get DirectTV, then add internet and voice elsewhere (since DirectTV doesn't offer either of them), I'll be paying more than I would for the xfinity triple-play service in the Villages. Here in Connecticut this service is over $200 after fees and taxes. Down in the villages it'll be $139.99 plus fees and taxes, so likely around $165 after all is said and done. That's for TV, internet, and voice combined.

Last edited by biker1; 03-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage

It really doesn't matter why. That is my criteria.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:34 PM
Sage

That means you don’t have a requirement. Whatever, sorry to bother you with a logical question.

Quote:
It really doesn't matter why. That is my criteria.
Closed Thread

Tags
subscribers, lost, pay-tv, totaling, traditional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.