Cut the Cord

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 PM

YouTube TV provides the major local channels.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We can get Century link BUT have been told, speed is slower than comcast.
Yes, we tried to get Century Link one time. Only DSL is available for us and only 10 mbps. So we are still married to Comcast, the only other provider, for internet only. For the past four years we've relied on an antenna in the attic, Roku, Ooma for "land line," and a Netflix subscription. Not unhappy but I wish Century Link would install fiber optic in the central Villages.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

We have been trying streaming for the past month and like it, however we just got a notice that we have used 90% of our data plan of 1024 FB. It would cost another $50 for next level up which would negate any savings.

We do stream pandora during the day when we are here. We have Comcast.

What are others doing to get around high data usage....other than turn the TV off.

We are new to cordcutting so we might be missing something.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

In another thread there was a mention of repeater antennas in Ocala, so I moved my antenna from the back of the house to the side of the house, and aimed for Ocala. I can get about 10 channels, seems to be all of the time so far (Note i have not had a chance to try during a storm). I am using the same Db4e that I tried for Orlando with the same amplifier.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 PM
Sage

We use CenturyLink for internet only and if there is a monthly data limit I am not aware of it. We stream everything and typically consume about 600 gigabytes per month. We do make a point of hitting the "home" button on our Rokus when we turn off the TV otherwise it will continue to stream whatever we were watching, and consume bandwidth. Our CenturyLink plan cost $45 per month including all taxes and fees for 80 megabits per second download/40 megabits per second upload. We cut the cord with an Over-the-Air antenna (pretty much not used anymore in favor of the excellent YouTubeTV service) and Roku boxes about 7 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
We have been trying streaming for the past month and like it, however we just got a notice that we have used 90% of our data plan of 1024 FB. It would cost another $50 for next level up which would negate any savings.

We do stream pandora during the day when we are here. We have Comcast.

What are others doing to get around high data usage....other than turn the TV off.

We are new to cordcutting so we might be missing something.

Last edited by biker1; 03-25-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

On the Roku Remote hit the Home Button 5 times then the Rewind button 3 times then the Fast Forward button 2 times. From the dropdown menu select 3.5 instead of 12 MBPS. This maneuver plus the hitting of the Home Button Like Biker1 said will cut the usage way down. Our usage was off the hook the first month but once we did these two things our usage dropped way under the limit. Streaming Pandora uses very little data. It's all worth it once you get these little things down.

I subscribe to Cord Cutters and get a helpful email from the daily.

We have Roku & a Fire Stick. I prefer the Roku by a mile. Today Apple released something new. Haven't had time to check it out yet but it's gotta be great.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Yes, we tried to get Century Link one time. Only DSL is available for us and only 10 mbps. So we are still married to Comcast, the only other provider, for internet only. For the past four years we've relied on an antenna in the attic, Roku, Ooma for "land line," and a Netflix subscription. Not unhappy but I wish Century Link would install fiber optic in the central Villages.
I was told about a year ago by CenturyLink that they offer 20 MBPS on DSL. I ordered it and they turned off my service the next morning on a Tuesday to prepared for a Friday installation of the faster service. Against my better judgment and out of anger I went to Comcast for the Starter Package at $32 a month. I bought a Motorola Router and the bill is $19.99 a month now. Due to renew shortly it should be interesting. The Comcast Service has been fine! Fingers crossed.
Closed Thread

Tags
subscribers, lost, pay-tv, totaling, traditional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.