DIY, have you changed grout color?

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Gold member
Default DIY, have you changed grout color?

Want to change grout color on backsplash from brown to cream. Have you done such a project and what product did you use? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM

There is a color sealer for grout. Not used it myself. Might be a challenge going from dark to light?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Gold member

Yup, I am thinking it could be a challenge; will see what others in TOTV land have done in such a case. Thx
Old 09-15-2019, 07:27 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I have many times used the product from this company;
https://www.groutshields.com/

Great product, a little goes a VERY long way. Seals and changed color. Easy to apply, you can do it yourself.

You can use it with the same color you have currently, or change your color.

I 100% recommend it. Hope this helps!

Frank D.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:30 PM
Gold member

Did you change your color from dark to light without any issues using this product?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:36 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Did you change your color from dark to light without any issues using this product?
I have used this product at least 4-5 different times in 3 different homes.

I have used this product of 10 year old grout that in high traffic places would NOT come clean and looked dirty and unsightly. With ONE coat, it looked brand new and uniform throughout the tile floor.

I used this product to turn ugly dark PINK grout to nice almond color grout....after you could never tell the grout was EVER pink.

I have used this product to turn very dark but faded in areas and chalky dark green to new bright grout.

I have taken different colored grout and repaired grout cracks, then used this product over the whole floor to make the floor look new and uniform.

The great thing about this product is that it not only seals, but changes the color of the grout....after, you can spill red wine, coffee, soy sauce on the grout and it will bead up and wipe off with NO staining.

This is a good company and they also sell clear grout sealer and matte finish clear sealer, that is invisible once dry.

Frank D.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:39 AM
Sage

Due to Village Tinker's recommendation, I just bought a starter kit of Grout Shield but haven't opened it yet. Glad to know that Super Frank uses it too. I liked the fact the I could order the exact color of grout that came with the house, Mapei Biscuit, in our case.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had white subway tile with white grout and a couple of years later we had our cabinets refaced in white. I like white, but the backsplash just sort of blended into the background. I bought a product in a bottle from Homedepot that is similar to Home Shield, it was Grout Renew. They have 20 colors, I just chose gray so it would not be too different. I had to order the product and they got it about 5 days. I did it myself in about 2 hours, made a nice difference, the backsplash really popped afterwards.

Home Depot Grout Renew

The Villages Florida
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,997 Times in 2,198 Posts

I used GroutShield as noted above, now about 2 years ago. We matched the existing color, but i do not see any reason why this product would not work very well for changing the color. I would give GroutShield a call, and ask them directly. Also, I found it much easier to use a shower squeegee instead of the provided sponge to remove excess product from the tile.

Tags
color, grout, project, product, change

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.