DIY Lanai Materials Sources

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Default DIY Lanai Materials Sources

I'm interested in making a few modifications to the lanai that came with our 2020 designer home. Where can I find the various matching materials (anodized aluminum crossbars, angles, pieces, etc) that are used in the construction of the lanai?
Old 05-18-2021, 11:54 AM

Don’t think you are going to find them readily available via normal retail outlets. Construction companies, commercial glass companies usually special order from a manufacturer. Call a couple contractors and ask them.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I was able to but all of the necessary components from White Aluminum about 3 years ago. I thought the prices were very reasonable. I had the pieces all cut a little longer that what I needed, then I did the final cuts my self. They also had the correct spline for the screening I was using.

Also, you can call home warranty and ask about the material and the vendor that installed this material.

Last edited by villagetinker; 07-05-2021 at 08:35 PM. Reason: bad spelling and additional info
Old 05-18-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I was able to but all of the necessary components from White Aluminum bout3 years ago. I thought the prices were very reasonable. I had the pieces all cut a little longer that what I needed, then I did the final cuts my self. They also had the correct spline for the screening I was using.
Thank you! That is exactly the starting point we needed!
Old 05-18-2021, 08:40 PM

T D Construction on 301 wildwood.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:52 PM

i purchased aluminum extrusions with brackets and hardware from lowes a few years ago.. built a lanai in my home in NC and couldn't find material at the local stores up there. I haven't looked lately but I need to in order to do some repairs/modifications on mine here.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
I was able to but all of the necessary components from White Aluminum about 3 years ago. I thought the prices were very reasonable. I had the pieces all cut a little longer that what I needed, then I did the final cuts my self. They also had the correct spline for the screening I was using.

Also, you can call home warranty and ask about the material and the vendor that installed this material.
Great tip. I didn't realize White Aluminum would sell the materials to do it yourself. After all the crazy quotes and lead times I got to enclose my lanai, I've been thinking of doing it myself, too.

But what about the permits? For some crazy reason, the county seems very concerned that the double-pane windows I might choose for myself might not be up to the high hurricane standards of the single sheet acrylic "windows" that most people seem to buy. And I was told that I had to have engineered drawings for my specific lanai conversion, to make sure that I'm not using sub-standard screws or something, for this, apparently, highly experimental project of installing actual windows into the lanai of a Villages "Lantana" floorplan.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post
Great tip. I didn't realize White Aluminum would sell the materials to do it yourself. After all the crazy quotes and lead times I got to enclose my lanai, I've been thinking of doing it myself, too.

But what about the permits? For some crazy reason, the county seems very concerned that the double-pane windows I might choose for myself might not be up to the high hurricane standards of the single sheet acrylic "windows" that most people seem to buy. And I was told that I had to have engineered drawings for my specific lanai conversion, to make sure that I'm not using sub-standard screws or something, for this, apparently, highly experimental project of installing actual windows into the lanai of a Villages "Lantana" floorplan.
I would go directly to the building department, Pinellas Plaza (copper topped building), go in main entrance and make a right, building department on the left as I recall. Ask them what is involved with this type of project. Florida has some stiff building codes due to hurricanes, etc. From what I have seen in terms of comments, etc., this is probably beyond the normal DIY project.
I am guessing you need a building permit, an electrical permit, at a minimum. Things get more complicated if you are planning on taking out the sliders.
From what I have seen all of the trades are way behind schedule as it appears they cannot get the workers.

Good luck with your project.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
I would go directly to the building department, Pinellas Plaza (copper topped building), go in main entrance and make a right, building department on the left as I recall. Ask them what is involved with this type of project. Florida has some stiff building codes due to hurricanes, etc. From what I have seen in terms of comments, etc., this is probably beyond the normal DIY project.
I am guessing you need a building permit, an electrical permit, at a minimum. Things get more complicated if you are planning on taking out the sliders.
From what I have seen all of the trades are way behind schedule as it appears they cannot get the workers.

Good luck with your project.
Well, I'm in Marion County not Sumter. I don't know where the office is, but I did call. They were the ones who told me I needed an "engineering drawing". When I asked what was so experimental about enclosing a lanai with windows, the lady mentioned hurricanes and "proper fasteners".

Being from Harris County (Houston) Texas, this all seems very strange. As you may have heard, we have hurricanes in Texas, too. But I didn't need engineering drawings or even a building permit when I replaced a houseful of builder's grade cheapo single pane windows with double pane vinyl -- and that included tearing out a brick fireplace and replacing it with a wall of windows (yes, I think I'm up to the job, if they'd let me). Being a somewhat freer state than Florida, Texas only cared about things that increased square footage, for tax purposes. What I did with my own property, 50 miles from the coast, was my own business (although I admit they were more strict about proven wind ratings closer to the coast).

The part I really don't understand is how they can get picky about hurricane ratings on double-pane glass windows, while allowing contractors to install single-pane plastic. Stuff like that is what tells you this has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with job protection.

Oh, well. Can't fight city hall. I guess I'll wait until the current insanity subsides, and try to hire a contractor to do the job next year. Which was the point of the crazy permitting rules, all along.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, materials, diy, find, matching

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.