Remove Shower Door

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Default Remove Shower Door

Has anyone removed their glass shower door? I would like to remove mine, but it looks like it is glued onto the fiberglas as well as nailed. Is there a solvent or some product to disolve the glue that I need to use? How can I dispose of the door once removed?

Thanks,

Kathy
Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit9240 View Post
Has anyone removed their glass shower door? I would like to remove mine, but it looks like it is glued onto the fiberglas as well as nailed. Is there a solvent or some product to disolve the glue that I need to use? How can I dispose of the door once removed?

Thanks,

Kathy

I have. I erred and broke the glass but it is tempered so not a problem other than a mess to sweep up. I believe the channels holding the frames to the walls were held on with screws but it was also sealed with a sealant that was somewhat difficult to remove. A lot of scraping . Check with the people you purchase the new one for solvent advice. Installing the new one was a bigger challenge. Follow their instructions closely. Not much tolerance on measurements.

There are times when two pairs of hands are required.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the input. I am not replacing the shower door, I prefer a shower curtain. Have to figure out how to get rid of it when I get it taken down.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

maybe you should hold onto it, just in case if you ever sell your house the buyers might prefer the door.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Default I removed shower door

It was a sliding door and I wanted a curved (out) shower curtain rod. Since the shower door sides were just caulked it was easy to scrape it off the tiled surfaces. The screw holes that were left.. I found a screw/cap combination at Lowes in the hardware section. I screwed it into the hole and then flipped the plastic cap back over the screw top and it makes for a neat/clean finish as opposed to filling the hole in the tile with some sort of putty. Filled 6 holes that way and 8-9 years later still loook good.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Be carefull. If you have one of those fiberglass shower enclosures the area under the frame and sealant may be permanently discolored. Also it is very easy to scratch the fiberglass when trying to remove the caulk/sealant. The previous post on how to deal with the holes is a great idea.

Good luck
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.