Electric outlet

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2019, 08:16 AM
Default Electric outlet

I recently changed in electric outlet cover on our enclosed lanai. On further inspection I noticed severe corrosion on the outlet where the connections were made. It looked hazardous so I replaced two of the outlets. This outlet was never exposed to the elements other that the heat and humidity. The outlet that was removed appeared to be an indoor type. Just an FYI. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. Our home is 10 yrs old. I feel this could have started a fire or a short somewhere down the line.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2A8D3A7E-4D92-4FBF-92F5-A16E68D43CBD.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	80009  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I'm afraid you might have posted this in the wrong forum. This thread is about NOTHING. You're surely wanting to communicate your experience about SOMETHING.

Probably better to post this in a more appropriate section of the forums so more eyes will see it.
EROJOHN, People make NOTHING but errors all the time luckily you made it on the correct thread.

I had a similar experience with the Main Breaker on our Manufactured Home about 3 or 4 months ago. It was the internal damage to the device that caused the failure. I would put you onto a good Electrical Company but our experience with the company that replaced our breaker wasn't really great but not bad enough to burn the guy on this Forum. Outlets are simple if you know what your doing and turn off the power unless you want some buzzing entertainment. It's not fun.

I wouldn't replace the main breaker for any reason whatsoever, an outlet No problemo. Just be sure the cover plates screws are facing East and West.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Just out of curiosity, were the wires connected at the screws or plugged in the back? The reason i ask, if connected at the screws, a loose connections and high humidity could lead to what you photographed. If the wires were plugged in the back, I am not sure of the cause. Also, I do not recall ever seeing a 'outdoor' rated outlet, the cover provides the protection for indoor versus outdoor use.
If you have had your house power washed, I have have personal experience where the 2000 PSI power washers were able to damage electronic (outdoor rated) equipment. These could not handle the high pressure washing but were fine for normal weather conditions. Also, some of the power washers use some chemicals to aid in cleaning the walls, which MIGHT cause the corrosion.
In any glad you replaced the outlet, and double check the weather resistant cover plate and gasket.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

The photo shows a wire connected to the right screw.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Sage

AH, I missed that, very POOR connection, wire is supposed to be wrapped around the screw, not just the end, this may have contributed to the problem, especially if the outlet was used.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
AH, I missed that, very POOR connection, wire is supposed to be wrapped around the screw, not just the end, this may have contributed to the problem, especially if the outlet was used.
Agree, looks similar to what aluminum wire will do.

Was a high current device like an electric heater, spa, etc ever plugged into that outlet?
Old 07-01-2019, 08:34 AM

Not since we’ve owned the villa. Used just occasionally. It was in lanai. So it had an outlet cover. The other one near ac unit but with a more robust cover fared a little better. I replace with an outdoor WR Outlet. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and or if there was a code violation. The outlet appeared to be if the same variety as every other outlet inside the house.

Last edited by erojohn; 07-01-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Sage

erojohn, Frank D'Angelo, 352-250-7818 may be able to comment on your question about a code violation as he is a very good (OK great!) home inspector. I have bumped into 3 or 4 people that have had problems with rain water and/or irrigation water getting into outdoor outlets, this usually trips the GFCI. This was usually due to a failure of the gasket, NO gasket, or the gasket not properly installed. A new outlet cover and gasket usually solves the problem.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erojohn View Post
I recently changed in electric outlet cover on our enclosed lanai. On further inspection I noticed severe corrosion on the outlet where the connections were made. It looked hazardous so I replaced two of the outlets. This outlet was never exposed to the elements other that the heat and humidity. The outlet that was removed appeared to be an indoor type. Just an FYI. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. Our home is 10 yrs old. I feel this could have started a fire or a short somewhere down the line.
Thanks, I going to go out and check mine!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.